Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sharing in case this helps others. We bought a used 2011 Odyssey EX-L with 115k miles. Since we've owned it, it's had a shimmy / shake / wiggle in the steering wheel while accelerating from about 5mph-20mph the entire 5 years we've owned it. It also had a single 'clunk' in the drivetrain upon reversing and turning. Took it to 2 competent shops with these symptoms, (1) a Goodyear (2) Honda Carland's repair center and neither found the issue.

Well last Friday a drive shaft / CV joint BROKE. It was unsettling putting it in park and it still rolled lol. A third and highly rated repair shop did the repair as well as replaced the steering arms as those bushings were cracked.

This 2011 with now 140k miles now drives like a brand new van. Worth the repairs!!! Even though it was a flat $2k for what one of you handy folks could have done yourselves I am guessing, it was worth every penny.

So a shimmy in the steering was solved by either the CV joints replacement OR steering arms replacement. Hope that helps someone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MrRanger I don't know if it was since I bought the van used - I believe it was from a junkyard as the mechanic told me it had a spray of yellow spray paint on it. I've had a shimmy on acceleration for a while, and while test driving other vans for purchase (2005-09 when we purchased our 2008 new) and (2003-04 when we purchased our 2003) and (2011-13 for when we purchased our 2011) I noticed this is a common problem for Odysseys from at least 2003-2011 so thought I'd share.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had the same weird shimmy and the dealer replaced both CV shafts under warranty that took care of it for a while. Maybe 10K miles later the shimmy is back. I find it odd that ive broken my CV axle so frequently. Anyone have any ideas why this keeps happening? Any recommendations on where to get axles that will actually hold up? I appreciate the responses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts