Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring and get a slight shimmy in the steering wheel when braking, it is more pronounced when braking harder. Also, once in a while there is a clunking sound from the front end when braking harder.

I am thinking maybe warped rotors and pads need replacing.

Anyone experiencing similar problems?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Never delay fixing brake problems. That is the way warped rotors start. They could be warped or developing hard spots. How many miles? Brake pads should be checked at least at every oil change and replaced before they wear to the rotors.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I have 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring and get a slight shimmy in the steering wheel when braking, it is more pronounced when braking harder. Also, once in a while there is a clunking sound from the front end when braking harder.

Thanks
Most likely problem are "warped" rotors. They are not really warped, but have high and low spots. The only way I know how to test for it, is to do rotor runout test, requires special tools.

But you can certainly have some other problem, like busted ball joints/tie rod ends, stabilizer bar links.

You are going to have to take lift the front up. Grab the tire at 3 and 9 oc and try to move it. Then grab at 12 and 6 oc and try to move it again.
You should not have any motion, other than maybe standard steering give. Then take tires off and inspect all suspension components.
good luck
Max

·
Registered
8 Posts
i recently experienced the same problem. i took the rotors to sears and had them turned.cost is only $10 ea but u need to make sure your rotors have enough meat left to turn, the techs at sears can mic it for u.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Thanks
Same problem with our 05 Ody (and just about every single car I owned, regardless of make and model) - turn out to be uneven deposit of brake pad on the rotor(s), not warped rotor. If you don't have access to a dial indicator (to measure runouts) this is the first thing you might want to do: sand the surface of both (or all 4) rotors lightly by turning the rotor by hand while pressing sandpaper on both sides of the rotors. Dirty work, but works for me all the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts