Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kids stuffed 1 dime under the airbag of my 2019 Elite and it is making clunking noise when the steering wheel is turning: I removed the airbag and realized that the coin is actually lodged deep within the steering wheel, under the magnesium alloy frame close to the shaft.
Does anybody have Ody 18-19 ( or equivalent Pilot 18-19/Passport 19 ) steering wheel disassembly instructions? I want to give it another shot before paying $$$ to the dealer.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Be careful when handling the airbag, it’s very expensive and can deploy during installation. Make sure the battery is disconnected and you don’t have any static electricity in you when plugging it back in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
417 Posts
Be careful when handling the airbag, it’s very expensive and can deploy during installation. Make sure the battery is disconnected and you don’t have any static electricity in you when plugging it back in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also add in 5-10 minutes for capacitors to discharge on airbag circuit when battery is disconnected.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you can visually see it take a wire hanger put double-sided tape on it an attempt to a affix it

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Here is the update: my van was parked in the sun for a few days and high temperatures must have melted the glue/padding inside the steering wheel sealing the coin in place, no more clicking noises.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,395 Posts
Victor123, if the airbag deploys (God forbid), is there a chance the coin will act like a bullet or is it so deep that it would stay put? If so, you still may want to try to get it out.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Go to the Honda Hills website and pull up the heated steering wheel accessory:
heated steering wheel

The link will have detailed installation instructions for installing the heated steering wheel. It isn't difficult to remove the steering wheel and retrieve the coin. If you are remotely familiar with vehicle maintenance, then this should take less than an hour. You probably won't even need to completely remove the wheel, just pull off the airbag.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts