Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
nemogira,
That be me. I was watching it since this afternoon and decided to just go for the "Buy it now" option to get it on its way. The price from ahmotor was the same as you paid so I figured this was a fair price. I had emailed the seller this afternoon and he said it was removed from a new TL that the buyer wanted the wood/leather wheel. I just about bought a taupe Accord airbag from eBay last week, but was afraid it wouldn't match up to the mounting tabs on the wheel. Also considered an Acura airbag. Any thoughts about what airbag might fit?

After seeing your pic of Ody with dash removed, you still my hero! I had to replace a heater core in a car a few yrs ago, and completely removed the dash to get to it. Looked about like yours. Got it all back together with no extra parts and felt good about it. I wish I was closer so I could work with you on it. Lookin' good!

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nemo, Can you tell me how hard and time consumed to replace the Acura Steering wheel?

I believe the Original (OEM) Ody airbag can still be used and function right? (no need to buy new airbag?)

You know, I was still deciding to get it or not. Dang! I know I am a slow poke! (Got to quit drinkin.)
Guess my_2001ody has already been lurking for long time already ehhh?!

------------------
abyez - 1999 GG EX
ody.4mg.com - 29 May 2001

[This message has been edited by abyez (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my_2001ody - I thought about telling you first (since I knew you were looking for one) but I thought about it again and figured it wouldn't be fair to other owners. But I'm glad you got it. Honestly, I can't wait to see the pics! That'll be an awesome sight. Taupe wheel and taupe bag. SWEET!!! Good Luck Lanny! Also, you were asking about the Accord bag fitting - I know for sure that a 2001+ Accord EX should fit. Do you know where yours comes from? (i.e. Year, Model, etc.)

abyez, it's not really that hard. At least not to me. But you've see my destruction - I'm pretty much fearless (yeah right). But its not too bad. The only special tool you really need is a steering wheel puller. Check out http://handa-accessories.com/odyssey/steering01.pdf for some detailed instructions. BTW, you couldn't actually buy that steering wheel anyway because you got a Granite Green Odyssey, right? The one on ebay was colored Beige or Taupe. You're best bet is probably black. And yes, you do not need a new airbag - unless you want to change the color like Lanny.

-nemogira

·
Registered
182 Posts
nemogira,

I haven't bought the airbag yet. I remember Hy showing that his airbag didn't match up with the steering wheel he tried to use. So I thought the reverse may be true, if I get another airbag it may not match up with the new wheel. There was an Acura airbag for sale a while back and I thought about it but wasn't sure then if I'd ever get the wheel. Then last week there was a Honda airbag which didn't get any bids. The guy is about 120 miles away so I may call him and drive there if he still has it. I'll mount the new wheel first so can eyeball the back of airbag to compare to others.

Now I'll have to buy digial camera to show pictures! Wife just looooveees my projects!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Airbag is for a 99 Accord but don't know which model. He gave me the Honda PN, so I was going to take PN to dealer and have parts dept help me. I might just not install the wheel but take it to the guy that has the airbag and see if they match up. I think the Acura airbag would match okay since the wheel is from the Acura. If I do get Honda airbag that works I'll post the PN and pic of back side for anyone to see.

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm...99? I don't know about that one? My guess it'll most likely fit on the Accord wheel Hy originally got. It could also fit on the Acura MDX wheel because they have the same hub design as the pre-2001 Accords.

With me what I did was swap just the wheel and used my existing Honda airbag. But I could do that because the color was already black. Now you're trying to swap the entire wheel and bag - doing this way you could've gone either way in choosing the hub design. Just as long as the airbag matched.

But since you bought the TL style hub you probably would have to look for a 2001 Accord EX airbag or maybe an Acura TL one (and that's if you don't mine the "A" logo)

Here's what I know about the different hub styles:

Most Odyssey-like:
00-02 Acura TL(S) and CL(S)
01 Honda Accord Sedan EX
98-00 Honda Accord Coupe EX (black only)

Other style Hub (like Hy's):
98-00 Accord Sedans (all trims)
01 Acura MDX

Good Luck,
-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
261 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:

...The only special tool you really need is a steering wheel puller.

BTW, you couldn't actually buy that steering wheel anyway because you got a Granite Green Odyssey, right? The one on ebay was colored Beige or Taupe. You're best bet is probably black...
-nemogira
</font>
Nemo,

steering wheel puller? I have never heard of such tool. But nonetheless, where can i get it? For how much?

Yeah you're right. The wheel is taupe color, while what I really need is a black one, like your's. I'm envious of your steering wheel.

Actually, I already have the leather steering wheel cover. But I dont get the nice looking and classy feel from the add-on leather. Thats why I am considering to get an Acura wheel. I am still thinking about it though - a 100-150 bucks is alot for me to spend, I may not buy it.

------------------
abyez - 1999 GG EX

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I bought a steering wheel puller "set" at Kragen for like $15. But you could also rent one from any local auto shop or store. I've also seen some on ebay. I'll try take a picture of my set so you know what to look out for.

There are other alternatives to getting a NEW Acura steering wheel. At times you can find fairly new ones on:

Ebay.com
Acura-TL.com
Acura-CL.com
Salvage Yards

Another alternative is the 2001 Accord Sedan Wheels. I remember seeing two of them on ebay - same style hub as the Odysseys. One went for like $40 while the other went up to $100(I think). The only difference is it doesn't have the perforated leather like the Acura's (you know those little breather holes). It's just smooth leather all around.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
261 Posts
Great! pictures - A pic speaks a thousand words.

Err, you mentioned acura-cl.com - You mean the TL and CL uses the exact same wheel? and 2001 accord wheels are the same technically? I thought I read somewhere, someone (was it you, Nemo?) did try to replace an Accord wheel ("dont know what year and trim model") But failed.

BTW, It dont really matter if I get the perforated or the regular wheel. Just as long as it is leather and it fits smoothly.

Thanks nemo for answering and more questions to come
heehehehe....

------------------
abyez - 1999 GG EX

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nemo,

Looks like the talks are all about the Acura SW.

I still have mixed feelings about the Accord SW. I hope to get Accord SW coz I assume it would cost a lil' lesser. Now do you have any info which model Accord will fit?

Eg. 2001 V6 EX-sedan or 2001 V4 EX-sedan ?

If you do know the answer, thats cool.
Hope you wont mind me asking so many silly questions.

------------------

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am 100% sure that the 2001-02 Acura TL-S leather steering wheel fits on the Ody's airbag.

I'm 90% sure about the 2001 V6 Honda Accord Sedan (EX) leather steering wheel. As long as it's a 2001 Accord EX and it's leather - it should fit.

Here, use this to contact Trevor at Handa-Accessories.com:
http://hc2.humanclick.com/hc/63676511/?cmd=file&file=visitorWantsToChat&site=636 76511&byhref=1

I think they sell the Accord SWs for like $90. Double check w/ Trevor. Maybe even show him the steering wheel pic in this discussion and ask'em if they are the same. If it is - then there's your wheel!

Hope this helps,
-nemogira

P.S. Don't worry about asking too many questions. That's what this site is for. I know I've asked my share of questions. Ask away!!!

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nemo,

The Accords wont fit. I asked Trevor earlier. Well, seems like Acura is the only way to go. Dang~! I may have to cancel the SW swap for now, due to budget insufficiency.
I may have to save up for next month to be ready for the Acura SW.

Errmm, How many kinds of Acura steering wheels are there? The ones I kNow ....
1) Black regular
2) Black perforated w/ wood
3) black perforated w/O wood
4) Taupe Regular
5) taupe perforated w/ wood
6) taupe perforated w/O wood

are these all the choices I have? Do you know of other types? Like Grey perforated...blah blah blah...

------------------

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think Trevor is baseing it on his experience with Hy. You see, thats were Hy got his from. My guess he got a 98-00 Accord SW...not a 2001 EXL.

Here are the links to the old auctions of the 2 steering wheels I mentioned before:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=579128522

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=579126457

Now compare them to my steering wheel pics in the TECH section. What you need to look at is the style of the metal parts (or hub). Now the one that Hy got looked more like this:

That's the one you want to stay away from if you're gonna use your Ody's bag.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
182 Posts
nemogira-I checked the online catalog at hondaautomotiveparts.com and the Accord EXV6 airbag has the same SKU number for years 98 through 01. But I need a more sure way to match an airbag to the wheel as Hy thought he got a wheel for an Accord V6. Also, I thought there were other problems with the wheel he got besides the airbag not fiting, like maybe some of the hub holes being different size and the wheel rubbing when you turn it. BTW, does anyone know if everything is ok with Hy as he hasn't posted for a while?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts