Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Ody has a steering wheel shake. It turns the wheel left to right. It starts when the van starts to move. Not as noticeable in turns. Above 40mph there is a slight shake.
Wheels have been aligned, balanced and switched front to rear. The rotors are not warped. Struts have been replaced. I replaced the rear engine mount. (not fun) It ssems to have gotten worse. Occasionally there is a spinning sound (bizzip) but only lasts a few seconds and above 45mph. bushings are fine. No apparent bent parts. No CV joint sounds.
From reading the threads I thought the engine mount would be a fix. maybe the front mount is also bad. No signs of leaks on front. What happens when a hub bearing goes bad?
Any ideas would really be appreciated

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I vote bent wheel, if its happening at low speed.

You can also eliminate most of the drivetrain(engine mounts, specifically) by checking the wobble while coasting in neutral. I'm pretty sure it isn't the mounts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I will go back to the shop that ballanced the tires and see if they will check for a bent wheel or out of round tire.
The engine mounts are still part of the wheel and suspension system if I understand it correctly. I guess if it is not torqueing in one direction it should not have any effect on the system.

Any others have any thoughts on this.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
I am going to have to disagree with Superdad.

When I bent a wheel, the tire shop notified me at my next rotation. I have the free balancing and rotation plan with Discount tires. At the next rotation, they balanced the wheels and notified me of a slight bend so if the shop that did the balancing actually balanced the wheels, they should have caught this.

Also, since you rotated the wheels front to back, what are the odds that you bent one front and one rear wheel?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to the tire shop tomorrow and have them put them on the machine and watch with them.

If anyone has had their engine mounts changed; did you have any signs or symptoms that alerted you to the bad mounts?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Yep, a bad engine/tranny mount (or two) or bad inner CV joint can give you vibrations that appear and disappear at various speeds. Eliminate a tire or wheel problem first, as those are easier to diagnose. Then move on to the above mentioned items. My bet is on engine/tranny mounts, those seem to be a problem area for the 2nd Gens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update to steering wheel shake

I swapped my spare with the right front tire and the steering wheel shake went away. Swapped the left rear with right front and no more shake, except from the rear tires.
Went to the shop that did the alignment and balance and they put it on the lift and confirmed a bent right rear rim and a broken belt on the tire of the left rear wheel. $20 fee, not bad for conformation of the cause.
My tires are also from 2004. They suggested a replacement rim and 4 new tires. ($725) I guess new tires makes everything smooth again. Once I get a rim and decide if I'm getting 4 new tires or just replacing the one. I will let you all know the results. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Make sure your tires aren't directional, as many are today.

Swapping lefts and rights on directional tires would be bad news.

I'm glad your problem is fixed!

·
Registered
755 Posts
im sorry guys for posting this here but cr-v forums are not as

active as this club, and i just wanted to ask you guys some

opinions on the problems that im having currently. few months

ago, this 06 cr-v that we have started to shake(not the steering

wheel, but the entire car) when i acclerate from 40mph+, like

downshifting from 5th to 3rd, 4th to 2nd or 3rd, or 3rd to 2nd.

we used to have hydroedges on this car when this happened,

and we've noticed that all the tires were cupping very slightly.

so we thought that the tires were the problem, so we went to

costco to get a warrenty replacement. so yesterday, we got

a new set of x-radials on the car, and the vibration is still there

at the same situation, but a lot less. that could be due to

a placebo affect, but the thing is that its still there. What do

you guys think my problem is here? a bent wheel? or something

going on in the powertrain area? thanks a lot guys!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts