Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had steering wheel shimmy (left right steering wheel vibration) for years and it's gotten worse. I tried rotating tires but no good. It all started when I got new tires a few years ago.

Would this be an alignment and/or wheel balancing issue or is it a suspension bushing issue? Or is it all 3 combined?

On some days, it's really bad on the highway, while on others it is not so bad. Sometimes, the amount of vibration/shimmy increases after I round a bend on the highway. When I drive slowly, there's even shimmy there too.

If I go for a realignment, should I replace some bushings first? Which ones?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Alignment won't cause shimmy. A rim/tire imbalance is the problem. You mentioned it started with new tires. Find a place the uses the Hunter Road Force balancer. It finds the high and low spots on rims/tires and matches them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
not to be one of those "what he said" guys, but i agree completely with the balance answer. i have worked around tires for 10+ years, and 99 out of 100 times it is tire/rim out of balance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
on newer accords, and odysseys, we ck for frt rotors for out of roundness. believe it or not, an out of round rotor will cause hi speed strg wheel shimmy, but nonetheless, i'd roadforce the wheels and tires first, rebalance as needed, and then if it still persists, i'd ck the rotors.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. So balancing for highway speed shimmy.

But what causes very lowspeed (coasting in first) shimmy? I suspect out of round tires. Tire pressure is good.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ok. So balancing for highway speed shimmy.

But what causes very lowspeed (coasting in first) shimmy? I suspect out of round tires. Tire pressure is good.
shifting belts on the tire. Jack it up, put it in drive, and look at the grooves, if 2 grooves are shifting side to side adjacent to each other, you know where your prob is coming from. Just bad tires. Even new ones can have it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shifting belts on the tire. Jack it up, put it in drive, and look at the grooves, if 2 grooves are shifting side to side adjacent to each other, you know where your prob is coming from. Just bad tires. Even new ones can have it.
I knew I shouldn't have purchased Chinese made tires. I suspected it but feel more re-assured.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts