Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I've been having steering vibrations recently. It starts from 67 MPH and gets worse when you go faster. It vibrates even in neutral at that speeds.

I had the wheels road forced balanced more than 5 times at 2 different shops. I tried driving on 3 sets of wheels and the vibration was still there.
Tried rotating rear to front and front to rear, vibration still there.
Replaced both driveshafts with OEM less than 25k miles ago, DID NOT replace the intermediate shaft.
All motor mounts new, OEM.
Lower control arms replaced with aftermarket LCAs last winter, I do not feel any play when doing the 12-6 and 9-3 wobble test.
Inner and outer tie rods replaced with OEM last winter.
Swaybar bushings and endlinks replaced with OEM less than 2 years ago.
Struts are fine.
Rotors are "warped" but doesn't shake too bad when braking. They have been resurfaced once before.
Wheels are torqued to specs.

Any ideas? I'm loosing my mind. 162k miles on the van. 2010 EX-L. VCMuzzled.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Might it be worth trying new front rotors? Especially since you say yours are warped. Rotors are cheap. Might be worth trying. You’ve done everything else already I can think of.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got 2 guesses:

DID NOT replace the intermediate shaft.

Rotors are "warped" but doesn't shake too bad when braking.
If it is very consistent, i.e. never changes when at that speed with or without throttle, I'd think rotors.
If it comes and goes, and sometimes changes a little if you let off the throttle or step on it, I'd guess intermediate shaft.

(I believe mine has the latter problem)

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to my other post, people were saying rotors can't cause vibration when you're not on the brakes.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
429 Posts
it seems you ruled out most of the problematic areas.

Tried with different set of wheels - Ruled out tires and bent wheels
Suspension
  • No looseness in the bushing (LCAB) - Since it is all new for you.
  • No looseness in the inner tie rod and outer tie rods (both). Since it is all new for you.
Wonder if our vans gave the steering giubo / coupler. It connects from the steering rod to the rack. It is a rubber component and can wear out. To check this, hold the part at the rack with an open end and try to wiggle the steering. If this part is loose, you can find it.

Also the rack it self. Any looseness in the center?.Start the engine and try to move the steering little bit. Any slack? It could also be because of the steering coupler (if our van have it).

Please see https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=CH93-USA-06-1999-Z3-BMW-Z3_25&diagId=32_0915 . This is for my 2000 bmw z3. The top part connects to steering and bottom part connects to the rack. close to the bottom (marked 2 there), you can see the circle shaped item. This is the rubber part.

All the best.

·
Registered
429 Posts

Check item 3 here. The universal joint...is loose?

Seems our odyssey don't have rubber part like bmw.

The one in our link is for the rack mount right? If it is loose or worn out, you should hear some clunk sound. It wouldn't hurt to check to see if the rack it self is loose.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think it is pretty much narrowed to rack and up to the steering..

1) Check if rack is loose. Item 3 from your link
2) Item 3 from my link. See if the joint is loose.

If both are ok, check the looseness in the rack it self.

Cant think of anything else. Subframe bushings is another possibility but with the limited knowledge i have, it should make some kind of noise,

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Check item 3 here. The universal joint...is loose?

Seems our odyssey don't have rubber part like bmw.

The one in our link is for the rack mount right? If it is loose or worn out, you should hear some clunk sound. It wouldn't hurt to check to see if the rack it self is loose.
Yeah I don't see any bushings other than the link I posted.
The steering wheel does have play when you turn it, but it's been like that.
I'll check the rack.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The universal joint should not have any looseness. If it have, it can cause this. Hold it at both end with wrenches and try to wiggle.

Rack is expensive and tough to replace. I hope yours is the universal joint.

There is an adjustment nut on the rack. Atleast on the bmw's rack. If it is the rack, tight it like 1/4th turn and see how it is .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Please keep update as I am having the same problem with my 07.
Does the problem go away when you on a curved road?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I actually have the same problem. After several wheel balances and complete suspension change I have just given up :(

·
Registered
429 Posts
The adjustment nut i was talking about..

·
Registered
429 Posts
I had similar problem in my 2000 bmw z3 (now have 141k). Here is the route i took..

• Alignment, tires and wheels - Checked and fixed as needed
  • Changed the control arm, bushing, tie rods, struct, sway bar links, bushings
  • Changed the steering coupler
  • Adjusted the rack.
Now it is lot better. Say like 90%. Rack is still worn at center. Any more adjustment will sieze it at extreme right or left. I would say that the biggest difference at highway speed fix was done with rack / coupler changes. Suspension part helped in lower speeds (from my experience). I was slowly checking it, started from wheels and then to the rack.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Mr. Ranger, will it vibrate at 67 mph when car is cold. I know it may be hard to get on highway with a cold car, as you may not be close to highway entrance.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm only asking this because it's not mentioned and I don't want to assume anything. Sometimes it's the little things that we forget.

All four tires at the same PSI?

(That's top of mind 'cuz I just added a little air to one tire before we hit the road for the weekend. :))

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm only asking this because it's not mentioned and I don't want to assume anything. Sometimes it's the little things that we forget.

All four tires at the same PSI?

(That's top of mind 'cuz I just added a little air to one tire before we hit the road for the weekend. :))
Yes. I played around with the pressure and it still vibrates.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mr. Ranger, will it vibrate at 67 mph when car is cold. I know it may be hard to get on highway with a cold car, as you may not be close to highway entrance.
Doesn't make a difference.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
28 Participants
stewsmith1
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing