Honda Odyssey Forum banner

161 - 180 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Generally, vibration is only caused by rotating components (the only exception being death wobble, but minivans don't usually have that problem...). A suspension issue can cause a bump or shudder, but not a continual, speed-based vibration.

Have you checked or replaced the wheel bearings?

When you had it in N at highway speed, I'm assuming the engine speed dropped to idle ruling out the engine as a culprit?

I don't want to go down the rotor rabbit trail, but just to make sure, have you checked for a seized caliper? That would be the only way the brakes would cause a continual vibration that doesn't get significantly worse on braking.

Sorry if I missed any of those earlier in the thread.
Yes threw it in neutral with no change. Even shut off the van lol

The wheel bearings looked fine with the axles out. No grittiness.

I am not 100% sure about my front calipers...the passenger side does seem to get more brakedust than the driver side, it's been like that for years. Brake fluid is clean.

I don't get any pulling when braking (or notice) or any visual signs of failure. I do want to replace the calipers as a preventative maintenance item but with OEM only. I see some reman ones but I don't trust them. Any have experince with raybestos or cardone reman calipers?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Honestly, the best and only advice you need at this point is to sell the van and get an S2K or something with a 1+ turbos. Let everyone else drive themselves.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Yes the S2000 is cute, but it lacks the cargo capacity. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I can’t help but wonder how much you’ve spent so far chasing down this mysterious vibration...that’s a lot of parts!
I think I would have given up long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
I can’t help but wonder how much you’ve spent so far chasing down this mysterious vibration...that’s a lot of parts!
I think I would have given up long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I try not to think about the costs so far lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
What do you call the part that have 4-5 bolts for mounting the wheels on? I am wondering if one of them was damaged.
I can tell it bothers him a lot every time need to drive that car.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I don't want to read thru all 167 posts, and I think I already asked, but does the vibration happen when the car/engine are cold? I've had two vehicles where the calipers would stick and overheat the rotors, causing vibration. The vibration wouldn't start till the rotors had a chance to heat up.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
What do you call the part that have 4-5 bolts for mounting the wheels on? I am wondering if one of them was damaged.
I can tell it bothers him a lot every time need to drive that car.
Wheel hub/studs? They aren't damaged.

Yes it does...can't really drive it at high speeds.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
I don't want to read thru all 167 posts, and I think I already asked, but does the vibration happen when the car/engine are cold? I've had two vehicles where the calipers would stick and overheat the rotors, causing vibration. The vibration wouldn't start till the rotors had a chance to heat up.
I am not 100% confirmed...but it does seem to change depending on temp. Again, something I haven't confirmed yet.
I have to park my van near a highway or somewhere to let it cool down and then go drive it and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Honestly, the best and only advice you need at this point is to sell the van and get an S2K or something with a 1+ turbos. Let everyone else drive themselves.
Not going to buy another Honda after this for sure lol

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
You say you replaced everything with OEM but then you said you used Moog LCA's. So, it's not all OEM stuff...you cheaped out. Regardless of its cost, the Moog stuff is Chinesium junk. Used to be good but no longer. I just had a 2008 CRV in last night where the complaint was a vibration at 60-65mph. I raised it up and found a loose ball joint right off the bat. Use a pry bar between the knuckle and the LCA to make sure there is no movement (up and down, as well as side to side) in the ball joints.

In your video you have that clunk when going up/down. There are only a few things that move when you raise the vehicle. The struts move (springs, seats, and mounts) along with the ball joint and the LCA bushings. The sway bar and links to a lesser extent. Your clunk is one of those items and I'd be willing to bet they're related. You just need to spend more time inspecting and less time firing the parts cannon on it. Raise it up and grab the wheel at 3 & 9 oclock and wiggle. Do the same at 6 & 12. Use a pry bar to check the ball joints if you don't get movement by hand.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
You say you replaced everything with OEM but then you said you used Moog LCA's. So, it's not all OEM stuff...you cheaped out.
Replaced my good OEM LCAs, with Mevotech, then replaced the good Mevotech LCAs with Moog, thinking the LCAs were bad.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
You don't diagnose by replacing parts. That's why you're in for so much $$$.

My point was, you can't say you've replaced everything with OEM. Your LCA's are Chineseium. That doesn't mean they're bad or good, but a variable that has to be checked. Even new parts can be bad...A problem that is amplified significantly when replacing with Chinese parts.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
You don't diagnose by replacing parts. That's why you're in for so much $$$.

My point was, you can't say you've replaced everything with OEM. Your LCA's are Chineseium. That doesn't mean they're bad or good, but a variable that has to be checked. Even new parts can be bad...A problem that is amplified significantly when replacing with Chinese parts.
I know. I am the first and last owner of this van so don't mind it.

Last time I checked the LCAs, they were fine.

Told the shop each time about my problem when I went in for balancing and alignments. They don't come back with a firm response.

Maybe I should really make the trip to your place lol with this vibration I won't last 30 mins of driving...

Or go to those rent a lift places and check every single thing. Annoying to check things on stands.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
You can't rely on telling a tire shop about an issue. All they're going to do is check the tires for balance. I had a guy bring me a 2015 Ford Fusion a couple weeks ago. He had just purchased it and was driving it home on the freeway when he noticed it had some weird sway and shaking in the back. He stopped into a tire shop to have the wheels & tires balanced and the car checked. They told him all was fine and that the tires were slightly off but they balanced them anyway. He left there and had the same problem.

When he brought it over he told me that it had been wrecked and repaired on the right rear. I raised it up and did the standard 9 & 3 oclock and 6 & 12 oclock shake/wiggle tests and immediately found looseness in the right rear wheel. At first I thought it was a bad wheel bearing as that is what it felt like. However, when I got behind the wheel and had him move it I found a loose bolt on a control arm. This was a simple check that any tire shop should have/could have done but they didn't.

You tend to rely on everyone to give you your silver bullet repair. Get the vehicle up off the ground and do some testing. If the shake is as bad as you say, it shouldn't be difficult to find if you put some good effort into finding it. Don't just throw parts at it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not going to buy another Honda after this for sure lol
Not all Honda's are bad, these vans are known to have these issues though. Can't have cars last forever though, otherwise who's going to buy the new models? AMIRITE?

If the shake is as bad as you say, it shouldn't be difficult to find if you put some good effort into finding it. Don't just throw parts at it.
This ^

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Same thing they tell me each time, that the balance was off by a few ounces. Get back on the road and same vibration.

I told them to check it since the van is in the air and they are taking the wheels off.

They said they ran the van in the air and found nothing obvious...I don't think they even did that. I plan on doing this test by myself next.

I literally did every pulling, tugging, every test in the book and nothing seems off. This is why I started the thread to get some feedback.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Mr. Ranger, some shops will have portable vibration monitoring equipment that can be installed on the van. The van is then driven, and the source of the vibration located (maybe). I know you like to do things yourself, but sometimes you can't.

161 - 180 of 217 Posts