Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GG '00 EX has a recurring problem with the accelerator. It seems to stick when you initially press down on the accelerator; the pedal resists and you have to give it more gas to get the car to go. Dealer has already "cleaned off carbon deposits" once. Anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got the same problem with my '99 EX. Dealer cleaned carbon in throttle body which did not make problem go away. They now have throttle cable on order. Anyone else have this problem and were you able to get it fixed???

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MASTERNC:
My GG '00 EX has a recurring problem with the accelerator. It seems to stick when you initially press down on the accelerator; the pedal resists and you have to give it more gas to get the car to go. Dealer has already "cleaned off carbon deposits" once. Anyone else having this problem?</font>

·
Registered
63 Posts
On our 89 Camry, the accelerator sticks due to gummy deposits in the throttle body - dealer says that's a maintenance item. Take the air cleaner output off and spray the plate with Gumout and wipe off. I couldn't find a clear diagram in the factory manual and not about to take apart our year old EX-navi to find out.

------------------
Jack

·
Registered
9 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MASTERNC:
My GG '00 EX has a recurring problem with the accelerator. It seems to stick when you initially press down on the accelerator; the pedal resists and you have to give it more gas to get the car to go. Dealer has already "cleaned off carbon deposits" once. Anyone else having this problem?</font>
I've had the problem since I picked up my 2000 EX in Dec 1999. Dealer says he couldn't feel it. It's really annoying particularly driving around town. One thing I have discovered is if I turn off the A/C the problem almost completely goes away. We don't find it possible to do this often where I live. Anyone else notice the same? Any remedies??

[This message has been edited by dpeacock1 (edited 11-18-2001).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
Accumulated "gunk"(black, gummy carbon stuff) in the throttle body can certainly do just what you describe. It causes the throttle butterfly to stick in its bore. My MR2 would get so that you could not move the throttle off idle without a great push and, then, it snapped open suddenly. A toothbrush and some throttle body cleaner would clear it right up and last for quite a few thousand miles. If you do this, be sure you use a cleaner (Honda has one) which is expressly designed for cleaning throttle bodies. Some products contain chemicals which will ruin your oxygen sensors and, possibly, harm your catalytic converter. One fella cleaned his throttle body and thought it would be a good idea to spray the thing with some silicone spray, to minimize further deposits. To his chagrin, the vehicle began running poorly in a day or two. The silicone spray had killed his oxygen sensor. Just a word of caution. Good luck.......

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
9 Posts
I took a chance on what seemed to be an obvious fix to my sticky accelerator and the results are outstanding! There are two throttle cables (with adjusters) on the right side of the engine. The front cable is for the cruise control. The rear cable is for the accelerator pedal. The exposed accelerator cable was loose when I wiggled it with my hand while the engine was idling. I "adjusted" this looseness out of the cable and the stickiness is gone - in fact the whole driving experience is 100% improved!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes, it seems that the dealers have in mind that cleaning the body is what's needed. One way to verify is simply to detach the cable from the actuator and see if it sticks when moved by hand.

This MAY be the case, however, on mine the throttle cable was actually not lined up with the actuator causing the metal cable to rub on the edge of the actuator. I bent the mount just a bit to get it to not rub and it seems to have fixed it. I noticed that the cable itself can also be taken out of the holder (about midway between the end point and where it enters the firewall it sits in a bracket) and this reduced drag as well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts