Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the Radio Shack lens cleaner ($14.00) and it seemed to help the first time. When it started rebooting again, the cleaner did not seem to help. I occasionally get a quick yellow message on the screen that there is no disk in the unit or the door is not closed.

Can't find anyone locally that seems to service these units. They only want to remove them and send it off to god knows where for an estimate etc. They were made by Alpine and even their web site does not seem to offer any service alternatives. Where can I ship this thing to get it fixed - any ideas will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Welcome to the world of disposable electromics. Labor costs would to diagnose it would be more than the unit costs. Your best and probably cheapest solution would be to replace it unless your DIY skills and electronic knowledge are good enough to do it yourself.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may try the DIY route. The problem seems to be with the door closed switch. The on-screen message intermittently says that the door is open or there is no disc. I built a lot of HeathKits back when and assembled a lot of computers since 1978, so I don't want this thing to beat me. Will let you know how it comes out.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Where can I ship this thing to get it fixed - any ideas will be much appreciated.
Alpine repairs the DVD drives in the Acura sedans. Here is a phone number to call to confirm that Alpine will repair the Ody DVD drive on the same terms: Alpine Service number: 1-800-421-2284

Acura sedan owners send their DVD drives to:
Alpine Electronics
2012 Abalone Ave., Unit D
Torrance, CA 90501

They also provide a check for $158 along with a name, return address and description of the problem. It supposedly takes 5-7 business days to return the repaired units.

G/L.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. Just talked with Alpine, and the information applies to both Acura and Odyssey. Think I will just send it to them and hope that fixes the problem(s)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alpine just sent back my check and said that the parts to repair the GPS were no longer available. If the car is over 7 years old, you could be out of luck. They tried to locate a replacement unit in their system, but no luck. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Alpine just sent back my check and said that the parts to repair the GPS were no longer available. If the car is over 7 years old, you could be out of luck. They tried to locate a replacement unit in their system, but no luck. Any suggestions?
What year Odyssey do you have?

I would check ebay or Criagslist, or a salvage yard for a replacement unit. Be prepared to fork over some cash.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Van is a 2000 Odyssey EX. Will check into a used one. Had not thought about ebay or Craigs List. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If there are any used ones, they want between $588 and $699 on line for them with a 30 day to 12 month warranty. Alpine said that it was a "read error problem". Parts are no longer available. Anyone found one in a local yard and what was the price?

We called her "GPSY" so we could talk back to her when we didn't like what she said. Sure gonna miss the old gal.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Consider a portable unit. Any unit today would be far superior in reception and software than an 11 year old one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed that the newer units are probably more capable; however with the upgraded database DVD it is reasonably current. Another reason to stick with the factory unit is that it is integrated into the vehicle and includes the manual controls of the heating and air conditioning system and provides the only on board clock.

Oh well, technology and age go on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts