Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Longtime reader, seldom poster here. I put myself on a "waiting list" at my local dealer for a '02EX RP in late August and each time I call, they check their "list" and recently was told January or February. Got frustrated so called half a dozen dealers within 6 hours of me and found a couple places with 2002 Odys available right now (!!!) and others willing to promise one within a week or two. So I'm set to take delivery this coming Tuesday - settling for second choice color - SS EX cloth (actually wife's first choice so she'll be happy). So I cancelled at my local dealer and they were noticably unhappy that wasn't willing to hang around on them a couple more months. Too bad. So for any of you stuck waiting who haven't checked beyond your local dealers, call around if you're willing to make a little road trip, and chances are you'll find one right now rather than waiting.
Quick question on rustproofing. Couldn't find any posts about that here. I wonder what the concensus is on that for the Odyssey. I live in Wisconsin, so lots of snow and road salt for about 3 or 4 months a year. Is this just a scam add-on that's unnecessary, or should I get that? Dealer wants to put that and fabric protection on for $400. I realize I could buy Scotchguard for the fabric, but the rust thing makes me nervous on such an investment like this. What's Honda's warranty on rust, and what's their history been on this? I've owned a Civic for 9 years and to be honest, cannot remember if I got rustproofing on it but the body seems okay minus a few small areas. Skipped the rustproofing option for my CR-V when I bought it 2 years ago - no complaints yet. I know Consumer Reports advised against this once a while back, and also read mixed comments on it over at Edmunds. I have no clue, so any help would be great since I'm calling the dealer Monday to let them know my final choices on options. BTW, I'm getting splashgaurds - any feedback on that is also appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason
'02 SS EX (hopefully in a few days - woo hoo!)
currently own:
'99 Honda CR-V EX
'93 Honda Civic CX htchbk
'85 Honda Aero Scooter (true)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Jason, I have had two rust proofing experiences. In 1980 I bought a vehicle that the dealer threw in a no cost Quaker State dealer installed lifetime warranty rust proof. I later realized the the terms of warranty were a 100% refund of the original cost of the rust proofing if perforation rust occurred. DOH!

In 1989 I bought my first and only Ziebart rust proof for a 1989 Accord. Ziebart, like most, requires an annual inspection and touch up, if necessary, or the warranty is void. If the closest installer is inconvienent geographically it could become a problem in the future maintaining it. Perforation did occurr in the Accord's 8th year anyway.

With my '02, which is still enroute, I intend to purchase a Ziebart sound insulation undercoating only.

------------------
Mike Lowary
'00 traded-in
'02 ordered

1 - 2 of 2 Posts