Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the EX rim material is? I am thinking about sanding it down and polishing them. Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I love polished metal. I'm almost positive the wheels are an aluminum alloy. They should polish up nicely.

Oh, here's one of my personal projects.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses. I noticed that there is some sort of "clear coat" paint on the rims. Do you have any recommendations on the process and materials (ie, 200 grit to 600) and polishing compound? After the process, is it necessary to re-clear coat the rims?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hachiroku:
Nice cam cover,Jim. Good choice on the plug wires. Had those exact Magnecors on my Civic.</font>
Thanks! I have all of my pretty stuff hanging in the garage now. I repolished everything and I'm having a bunch chromed over the winter.

I gave the Magnecors to a friend of mine that runs an IT SE-R. My name is somewhere on the side of the car now.

I replaced the Magnecors with some red Accells. I run OE Nissan wires when I race. Nothing beats the OEs.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ptoeknee:
Do you have any recommendations on the process and materials (ie, 200 grit to 600) and polishing compound? After the process, is it necessary to re-clear coat the rims?
</font>
I wouldn't tackle wheels as your first project.

You definitely want to repowdercoat the wheels to protect them.

Go to Eastwoodco.com for supplies.

The textbook way to polish is with abrasive compounds. You can do most of it with hand sanding. You'd probably use 200 to remove the clear coat and imperfections in the surface. You'd move to 320 grit to remove the 200 grit scratches. You'd finish up with 600 grit. Then you'd move to white rouge compound and buffing wheel to give the surface a mirror finish. At that point you'd have the wheels powdercoated with clear.

It's a loooong process. It's not a weekend job unless you've got the equipment and experience.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff

[This message has been edited by Jim F (edited 10-25-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts