Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am used to having more storage at my fingertips when driving than I have in the Odyssey. I've seen the large consoles that are sold in some department stores, but I'm not interested in getting something that will permanently block my travel path to the back seats. Anyone have anything that they use that works well for storing CD's, tapes, and other misc. stuff. Maybe something that can fit right under the existing console. Any ideas would be great, I'm not sure what I'm looking for! Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I know exactly what you're looking for. We have one: it's a small plastic basket, that looks exactly like a laundry basket. It fits right in front of the power plug, and holds tapes and CDs and DVDs and the cell phone just fine. And since we fit it sideways, it doesn't encroach on the flip up table. It's just about as wide as the center console, and just the right size for putting CDs and DVDs in so that they stand up in line.

My wife says we got that at BabiesRUs. I just plain don't remember. But it's exactly the perfect piece.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It seems to me that the 'Plug & Go' is the favorite among the odyssey owners. It fits right between the front seats without removing the flip-down table. And, it has 3 extra electrical outlets. I have searched for a console for sometime and I decided this is the one and my order is coming in anytime this week. Check it out at:
http://www.autoenhance.com/plugandgo.html or you can order it a little cheaper in heartlandamerica (due to the cheaper shipping/handling). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for those suggestions. Adam: I kind of wanted something with a cover - to hide all my junk
but I will take a look at Babies-R-Us. Lotus: I've seen this one and it certainly would give me more than enough storage, but I was concerned about it cutting off my accessibility to the back seat. Maybe it can be stepped over easily, but I'm not sure! Thanks for both of your suggestions!
Wendy

·
Registered
596 Posts
lotus18 said:
It seems to me that the 'Plug & Go' is the favorite among the odyssey owners. It fits right between the front seats without removing the flip-down table. And, it has 3 extra electrical outlets. I have searched for a console for sometime and I decided this is the one and my order is coming in anytime this week. Check it out at:
http://www.autoenhance.com/plugandgo.html or you can order it a little cheaper in heartlandamerica (due to the cheaper shipping/handling). Hope this helps.
Before I order this, I would like an update from lotus18 or anybody who has this center console in their 02 Ody.

Physically: How does it fit?
Astatically: Does it look and feel cheap?
After Installation: Does it rattle or scoot around?
Utility: Is it handy?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the console I'd recommend it.

> Physically: How does it fit?

Poifectly. Do not have to remove folding tray.

>Astatically: Does it look and feel cheap?

Esthetically? :) Doesn't look cheap, Looks great with the Fern interior. However, black door on top is a little flimsy. I glued some thin black foamy board stuff on the bottom so it doesn't make such a tinny sound when it closes. Also put some of that in the nooks and crannies as padding and too keep things from moving around too much.

> After Installation: Does it rattle or scoot around?

Nope. I followed instructions found elsewhere on Odyclub (do a search) to use 3/4" plywood on the bottom to let the screws stick out just enough to hold the carpeting.

> Utility: Is it handy?

Yup, yup, yup. CD's of course, but convenient for stuff like wine bottles, etc. can fit. Really like the internal plug for my cell phone, even has a light.

Only possible improvement would be for the cover to fold to the back instead of to the right.

·
Registered
596 Posts
billt said:
I have the console I'd recommend it.

> Physically: How does it fit?

Poifectly. Do not have to remove folding tray.

>Astatically: Does it look and feel cheap?

Esthetically? :) Doesn't look cheap, Looks great with the Fern interior. However, black door on top is a little flimsy. I glued some thin black foamy board stuff on the bottom so it doesn't make such a tinny sound when it closes. Also put some of that in the nooks and crannies as padding and too keep things from moving around too much.

> After Installation: Does it rattle or scoot around?

Nope. I followed instructions found elsewhere on Odyclub (do a search) to use 3/4" plywood on the bottom to let the screws stick out just enough to hold the carpeting.

> Utility: Is it handy?

Yup, yup, yup. CD's of course, but convenient for stuff like wine bottles, etc. can fit. Really like the internal plug for my cell phone, even has a light.

Only possible improvement would be for the cover to fold to the back instead of to the right.

Thank you for your response.

The lid looked a bit weak, but the tray in the Ody is crap. It would be fine if they made the drink holders deeper.

I had a 95 Junkstar and the center consol lid opened back and I loved it. I was tempted to go to a junk yard and buy one to install in the Ody, but it didn't have drink holders at all.

OK, one more question. Are the drink holder areas deeper than the ones on the Honda tray?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
794 Posts
FW_in_OKC said:
The lid looked a bit weak, but the tray in the Ody is crap. It would be fine if they made the drink holders deeper.

I had a 95 Junkstar and the center consol lid opened back and I loved it. I was tempted to go to a junk yard and buy one to install in the Ody, but it didn't have drink holders at all.
Gosh, I had that same Windstar and I replaced the center console quick! Actually, it wasn't the console that was the problem but the car needed holders for wide/deep drinks. And I found one that did. It looks to be the same one that Nemogira has so I'll just borrow his pic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
FW_in_OKC said:

Thank you for your response.

OK, one more question. Are the drink holder areas deeper than the ones on the Honda tray?

Thanks again.
Yup. The cup holders are better but not perfect. Just barely can fit a cycling water bottle. Just barely deep enough--a tall cycling water bottle, filled to the top + fast cornering can cause tipping. The console also comes with an insert for one extra large drink--I haven't had occasion to try that out.

In surfing around the web I found several other consoles that looked like possibilities, but the plug n go was much cheaper and had plenty of existing satisfied odyclubbers endorsing it.

On reflection, the front cupholders in my 95 Voyager were superior, but I haven't really thought about it til now:)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
FWIW, I've seen the Clutter Catcher brand of consoles at Walmart and Meijer just recently at about $25. They're not the nicest out there, but with a mod here and there....... :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
wmarci2000 said:
I am used to having more storage at my fingertips when driving than I have in the Odyssey. I've seen the large consoles that are sold in some department stores, but I'm not interested in getting something that will permanently block my travel path to the back seats. Anyone have anything that they use that works well for storing CD's, tapes, and other misc. stuff. Maybe something that can fit right under the existing console. Any ideas would be great, I'm not sure what I'm looking for! Thanks for any suggestions
When I realized that this was the center console for the second row, my initial thought was that it was the back side of the 8th seat. After more closely examining this and other pictures on the link I posted above, I believe this is a removable center console w/ a deep storage bin in the center. Next time I am at the Honda dealership I will look at a 2006 Odyssey w/ nav. If this is indeed a center console, I want to pull some measurements, and examine the mounting to determine if the console will fit between the front seats of my 2002 EX-L. I like the cover for the cup holders, this is a clean look for when they are not in use.

·
Registered
151 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts