Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guy's
New here. I am looking for extra storage for trips. We don't go that often, but need space for 7. We have a 2020 EXL. I just got a quote at our dealer for aprox $1400 for rails and a 76"box. U-haul sells a hitch for aprox $460. Then we rent a 4X8 for about $15 a day. The hitch seams like the better deal. Anyone have experience with storage?
Thank You
Sean

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Talk about apples and oranges! A rooftop box vs. a 4x8 trailer is like a Fit vs.an Odyssey.
How much space do you need, and how much does the stuff weigh?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ted
Normal stuff for 7. Plus cooking. That's all
It almost seems easier with the U-haul. Rent it then drop it off at the city we visit, then rent again going back.. I am not sure compared to the rooftop box.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,766 Posts
I would go with the rooftop box as long as it's big enough. Then you don't have to deal with the hassle of renting the U-Haul and the ongoing costs associated with that.

You shouldn't have to use the dealer for this. Perhaps this has changed, I haven't checked, but my family friend with a 2016 Pilot bought the rails from the dealer and installed it himself, seems like an easy DIY. You should even be able to find the rails from an online Honda retailer, like Bernardi. Or, see what setup Thule or Yakima has for your car (if any).

You absolutely don't need to buy the box from the dealer. Check your local Craigslist for used ones.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I would suggest something I've used, a storage platform that slides into the hitch. Hitch Haul is a brand, but Harbor freight and Walmart sell them too. Along with the rooftop carrier for light stuff. Look at your OM for rooftop load limits. Usually rather low.
I'd be uneasy counting on a rental trailer for my vacation or other fixed date event, especially during busy move season. I have been stiffed by truck rental co. on the last Saturday of a month, despite reservation. There may be a requirement for a tranny cooler for trailering.

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
There may be a requirement for a tranny cooler for trailering.
AFAIK, the 10-speed has no provision to add auxiliary cooling.

Agree with your caution about renting a trailer. Also, check it very carefully before heading out on the highway. I once rented one that had a wobbly wheel due to a completely annihilated wheel bearing.

That aside, a trailer has the advantages over the other options of more space and better balance.

OP, you mentioned a 4x8 trailer. The national rental company that I often use has many sizes. Get the smallest one that will hold your gear. This will minimize your total weight. (The 4x8 from a certain rental company weighs a hefty 850 pounds empty.)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
AFAIK, the 10-speed has no provision to add auxiliary cooling.
That's interesting. No external cooling ports, no cooler in the radiator. I'd certainly want to use a full synthetic ATF in that one. I'm decidedly unimpressed with Honda's automatic transmission engineering.

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
No external cooling ports, no cooler in the radiator.
They ran cooling system lines to the transmission-mounted warmer/cooler, rather than running ATF lines to the radiator.

This setup maintains a more stable transmission temperature by warming and cooling it as needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys,
I can't thank you enough for sharing your knowledge. I have learned so much from this forum. I decided to go with the rooftop solution. My
dealership dropped a couple hundred off. Because of you I really feel good about this decision. They are installing tomorrow.
Thank You
Sean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.