Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my new odyssey 2001 for just a few days. I hear some strange noise from the front end of the van. Sound like something loose, a very low pitch noise, like plastic keep banging on the metal. The noise is apparent when driving in very low speed with my stereo turn off or just before and after start or stop. did anyone experienced that? Dealer told me it is the fuel tank and it is normal,....how come the fuel tank is loose and produce noise?? Could this be fixed. It is quite annoying. Please help

·
1,484 Posts
Well, if its what I think it is - it's gotta be the sloshing fuel in the gas tank. Everyone has notice this. The flat design of the fuel tank is the small price we have to pay for the magic seat bin. Try to completely fill your tank and see if the sound is still there. If it is then it might be something else.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
If the noise is coming from the front of the car, it's not the fuel tank. That noise is very obviously from the back. Mine also rattles from somewhere under the front end. It occurs when going slow on concrete pavement. I haven't had it looked at yet, but if anyone else has had this fixed, let's hear from you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You may have a hard time getting the service department to fix the noise.
Go to Gillman Honda, I have educated them on the problem.
I wonder how many other people here the noise but dont think it is bad enough to complain.
Like we all have lots of free time to be going back to the service dept all the time.
Honda has held our ODY hostage for more than a week.
But they are washing it for free, that sure makes it all better!!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I had a plastic rattle that sounded like it was under the driver side front. I found the rattle was one loose body screw. The screw was the bottom screw in the drive side wheel well that also holds up the front of the plastic kick that goes between the two wheels. The problem was more that just tightening the screw through, because the metal braket with the plastic insert was bent so the screw could not be attached. I bent the bracket back and screwed in the screw and rattle was gone.

Good luck on your search
BrianB

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a rattle also that sounds like it's coming from the front driverside. It happens as I'm braking going over a rough surface or small bump. I thought it was that horrible anti-lock brake sound at first but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The fuel tank slosh noise will almost slap you in the butt!!! Mine is worse when the tank is 3/4 full. There does appear to be a strut problem but as far as I know the wifes van doesn't have that problem (or she isn't saying anything). I have about 1300 miles on this van now and it was bought in mid-December.

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4 GM-Trucks.com

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I mentioned the rattle to the service manager and was told it typically is the front right strut, and sometimes but less often the front left strut. Not sure why they rattle, but it appears the spring coils rattle against each other. Dealer fix is to replace the offending strut assembly. There is probably a repair that can be done, but dealerships usually swap whole assemblies when it comes to warranty work. Rattle won't hurt anything, but it sounds like hell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts