Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Odyssey EX-L with 150,000 miles. Van started making a fairly loud rattling sound. At first I thought it was the timing belt tension pulley had went bad, very similar sound. However, the sound seems to be coming from the top front of the engine probably inside the valve cover. I've read a lot of the forum info on cylinder misfires, blinking CEL, VSA light and valve adjustments but couldn't find anything related to catastrophic failure of a valve/camshaft that would cause a loud rattling sound. The other strange thing is if not for the issues stated above, the engine starts right up and seems to be idling fairly well. I'm guessing my next course of action is to pull the valve cover but just thought I might get some input from this forum on what I will probably find. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Potentially a valve lash that has terribly gotten loose. Adjusting nut may have backed out. Open it up to verify. Before verify all the simple things. Oil up to level? Power steering level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer is saying that the catalytic converter is trashed and making the loud rattling noise. It just sounds like it is coming from inside the engine. Hard for me to believe. I'm sure the catalytic converter is bad but can't believe it is making a terrible noise and putting the car in safe mode. Don't think I'm willing to spend $1400 to find out that wasn't the main problem.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The heat shield on the cat has a weld that breaks and makes it rattle. Can be fixed with a giant hose clamp (clothes dryer vent size)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Car is currently at the dealer waiting to hear if I want to move forward on replacing the CC so couldn’t do a video. However, found this on YouTube:
Very similar sound so I guess the dealer is right. The only thing I would say is that without getting under the car, from up top it sounded like it was coming from inside the engine. I even had a mechanic neighbor open the hood and listen and he thought it was a major internal issue as well.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Did you check all your coils? Wouldn't be unusual for one to go bad. That vibration could then affect cat or other heat shields. Check simple stuff first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts