Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 164K miles on my '04 Ody (rebuilt the Original tranny and replaced the torque converter at 140K). Been running great with out any issues up till the last week.

The van was making the common brake squeal in the cool mornings (past month) so I figure it's about time to do the front brakes. Never squeals when warm. Anyway I have noticed the van is making a strange surge type feel when I am going very slow with idle to high idle RPM but a slight load on the motor (like going up an incline while at idle to high idle). This worried me and now the TCS light and the CEL light came on at the same time this morning. I managed to make it home just fine and plugged in my OBD-II scanner to pick up code P0131, low voltage error. Is this the oxygen sensor reporting issues and if yes which one? Not sure if there are two or more O2 sensors on the '04 Ody. Seeing it's V6 not sure if they use a sensor per bank of cylinders.

If the O2 sensor I plan to use a Denso OE type as I read there are some issues with the Bosch.

My real concern is the TCS light. Why would the TCS light come on if the P0131 error code was reported? I can't turn off the light from the dash control panel and the only way to clear it is with the scanner. The code came back within about 1 mile of driving along with the CEL and TCS lights on.

Do all the symptoms line up with an O2 sensor? I could believe poor idle and surging but never experienced a bad O2 sensor before. Not sure if i was supposed to replace them some time back? Any suggested max miles for the O2 sensors? Anyway thought I would check this awsome sight as you guys have helped me in the past.

.ps I replaced the water pump and timing belt back at 104K with your all help and the van has been running great. if not for the tranny issues (yeah I know this is common for these years) this is really the only other time I've had any codes or issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 206K on my 2001 and have the same problem with TC S and CEL. It comes and goes under various condition. I also replace the timing belt and water pump at about 104K. Also I think I have replaced every component on environmental system. Still have problem. In addition, I can not lock the car due to alarm going off at random times. I asked the tech at Honda about both and the first few suggestion I had already done. Let me know if you figure your problem out.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alarm going off and strange lights... Sounds more like an electrical ground to me. Did you ever scan the codes out to find out what the code was driving your issues?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
P0131 is the primary Oxygen sensor low output. It is the one in front of the converter. Check the wiring and plug. Replace the sensor. If you have a scanner you can read the output voltage. If it is a code reader tuff.
Rover, all TCS and CEL problems are not the same. You have to read the codes from the computer to determine the failure. It could be anything. The TCS is just a secondary indication. TCS is disabled on most CEL problems as a drivability condition. Alarm going off indicates there is a flaky door or hood switch. They can make or break with vibration or temperature changes. The tech can't tell you what is causing it without extensive testing so if you want a diagnosis it will cost you.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. So is there only one sensor before the converter and another after? Sorry but I have not researched the location of the sensors up to now.

One other thing. I noticed that I could not shift down into 2 or 1 on the transmission selector when it did this. Not sure if they disable certain driving modes as well? That may actually be some other issue? Never noticed the lack of shifting manually down before.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. So is there only one sensor before the converter and another after? Sorry but I have not researched the location of the sensors up to now.

One other thing. I noticed that I could not shift down into 2 or 1 on the transmission selector when it did this. Not sure if they disable certain driving modes as well? That may actually be some other issue? Never noticed the lack of shifting manually down before.
Got the sensor on order and will see how that goes. I checked the voltages for the existing sensors with the scanner and it was reporting from a high of 1V at one point to most of the readings under 0.2V. The downstream sensor was reporting about 0.7V nominally, The upstream version showed about 0.035 volts to 0.135 volts.

Is it normal for the sensors to be both at near zero? While the second sensor did not report any problems it would show low voltages at times. Think this is normal?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Replaced the sensor several months ago and the van has been working well. Today the check engine light came on again and I have the P0131 code again. Not likely it went out again? I replaced it with a Denso type sensor as the Bosch was not recommended. Could that code be also for the rear sensor? I'll check the wiring later tonight after it cools down.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am having the same problem you were with P0131 on my '99 with 230k miles. I had the code several months ago with some stalling issues. Replaced the a Denso sensor(must have replaced it once before) with another Denso. Everything fine until today. 0131 came back. reset twice and came right back. Now that new Denso sensor couldn't be bad again already, could it?

What was your resolution to this problem?

I will check the connection tonight when I get home.

A little more info. Yesterday I replaced the radiator hoses as the top one had burst. Coolant spilled all over the starter and down below. After replacing the hoses, I sprayed some water in there to clean it up a bit. Could that have shorted out the sensor or will it start working again when I clean and dry the connections?

Todd K.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts