Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Curious if anyone has a good way to stream videos on the phone or table to the RES. I found a hack-y way to do it, but it isn't very efficient. It needs two phones.

1. Set up Apple TV
2. Create hotspot from Phone1
3. Get the Apple TV and Phone 2 to connect to Hotspot from phone 1.
4. Stream video from phone 2 to the Apple TV which is plugged in to HDMI port.

This works well for downloaded videos or for streaming data. Only problem is it needs 2 phone.

I found that it is not possible to connect to the cars hotspot without using their data. The authentication interface is super crappy. Is there a wired alternative that works. Perhaps a wifi router on a USB stick is one other option- but that will still only be able to play downloaded content.
I also read that Apple TV Gen 4 has peer to peer which can stream over bluetooth. Apparently a pain to set it up but still may work for downloaded content.
IMG_2342 copy.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't understand why you need 2 phones.
I am doing the same with Android and Chromecast (on AndroidTV device), but the principle should be same on iOS/AppleTV.

1. Create hotspot on your phone
2. Connect HDMI device (AppleTV in your case), to the phone's hotspot. The device should remember it for the next time
3. When you enter the car (with your phone), and turn ignition on, the HDMI device starts and searches for remembered networks. Finds phone's hotspot and connects to it. You now have phone and HDMI device on the same network, with data working.
4. Cast (AirPlay in your case) from phone to the other device.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not sure I understand the need for Chromecast or AppleTV (I am old/old school). Why can't you just mirror your phone/tablet to the RES via HDMI? You'd be streaming and using data from your phone/tablet (assuming tablet is cell capable) and you could display content through a specific app or browser.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure I understand the need for Chromecast or AppleTV (I am old/old school). Why can't you just mirror your phone/tablet to the RES via HDMI? You'd be streaming and using data from your phone/tablet (assuming tablet is cell capable) and you could display content through a specific app or browser.
Because Chromecast/AppleTV is way cheaper than a Phone/Tablet to leave physically connected in the car forever.

What are you saying? Take your own phone and plug that into RES HDMI port? Then you cannot use Android Auto / Car Play that plugs into the front USB.

Let's say you don't use Android Auto/Car Play. Who is the RES for anyways? It's not for the driver or front passenger. It's not for older kids who have their own devices and watch/play whatever they want. It's for a very specific age of younger kids. Now, you want to leave your expensive phone, wired on both ends, in the hands of these young kids? And hope they don't break the ports, don't wipe your data, and don't get mud and salt snow all over the phone when they just drop it on the floor as they fall asleep in their car seats? No thanks, from me.

And if you are suggesting you'd keep the phone with yourself and control it yourself, do you think it's a good idea to be sharing attention between driving car and being a media DJ at the same time?
How is it different with casting? Well, I can do casting by voice, without even touching the phone.

Bottom line is: you paid $5k-$10k more for the RES trim, why not spend ~$80 for a media device that you can plug into HDMI, give the older brats the remote, and relax. And for younger ones that cannot use the remote yet, you can cast from your phone by voice commands, still keep the ability to use Android Auto/Car Play, and not worry about connecting/disconnecting any devices.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Because Chromecast/AppleTV is way cheaper than a Phone/Tablet to leave physically connected in the car forever.

What are you saying? Take your own phone and plug that into RES HDMI port? Then you cannot use Android Auto / Car Play that plugs into the front USB.

Let's say you don't use Android Auto/Car Play. Who is the RES for anyways? It's not for the driver or front passenger. It's not for older kids who have their own devices and watch/play whatever they want. It's for a very specific age of younger kids. Now, you want to leave your expensive phone, wired on both ends, in the hands of these young kids? And hope they don't break the ports, don't wipe your data, and don't get mud and salt snow all over the phone when they just drop it on the floor as they fall asleep in their car seats? No thanks, from me.

And if you are suggesting you'd keep the phone with yourself and control it yourself, do you think it's a good idea to be sharing attention between driving car and being a media DJ at the same time?
How is it different with casting? Well, I can do casting by voice, without even touching the phone.

Bottom line is: you paid $5k-$10k more for the RES trim, why not spend ~$80 for a media device that you can plug into HDMI, give the older brats the remote, and relax. And for younger ones that cannot use the remote yet, you can cast from your phone by voice commands, still keep the ability to use Android Auto/Car Play, and not worry about connecting/disconnecting any devices.
Sorry, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. As I mentioned, I am old school--I was just inquiring since I have no personal experience with Chromecast or AppleTV. Our adult offspring laugh at us when we use our bluray player or Roku box to stream Netflix, Prime or YouTube at home.

We had 17 years of minivan experience without any RES--'90 Mazda MPV (did not age well), '99 EX (pretty rattly after being rear ended twice, last one while parked unoccupied in a parking lot, but it did have 235K miles), as well as an '06 EX-L (aged gracefully but did not survive being rear ended while youngest was driving back for college spring break by a rental truck at 230K miles)--we enjoyed a year of being van free, but we missed having the flexibility/capability of a minivan (we couldn't transport two adult guests with their snowboards and luggage to the airport in one of our non-vans, nor could we schlep 4x8 plywood, furniture, christmas trees etc), so last year we purchased a '15 EX-L with RES--with a used vehicle the pricing between the EX-L, EX-L RES, Touring, and Elite shrink quite a bit, we chose to save $2K and went with the EX-L RES over the Elite (although the sound system in the Elite was extremely impressive). We have been empty nesting for 4 years and have no grand offspring yet, so the only time that we have used the RES was when we popped in a dvd to see if it worked before we purchased the vehicle. My suspicion is that the previous owner also did not use the RES since the headphones appear to be brand new in wrappers in the storage bin/cooler box.

I only use my phone in the vehicle to either listen to music/podcasts or as a gps when I don't have the free standing unit with me (the Garmin unit also elicits eye rolling and giggling from the offspring). When our kids were younger there were no smartphones/tablets and there was just the portable DVD player, they had limited media choices in the vans.

I thought the OP specifically asked about inputting through the RES HDMI port.

Obviously you are in a more complex phase of life/vehicular travel than we are--thank you for your post.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did not take any offense, nor did I mean to dish out any. If there was any confusion, I apologize

OP asked about using casting with 2 phones + HDMI device. I said you don't need 2 phones. One phone + 1 HDMI device is enough

·
Registered
1 Posts
Curious if anyone has a good way to stream videos on the phone or table to the RES. I found a hack-y way to do it, but it isn't very efficient. It needs two phones.

1. Set up Apple TV
2. Create hotspot from Phone1
3. Get the Apple TV and Phone 2 to connect to Hotspot from phone 1.
4. Stream video from phone 2 to the Apple TV which is plugged in to HDMI port.

This works well for downloaded videos or for streaming data. Only problem is it needs 2 phone.
Use Mobdro and watch free, easy online TV for all your favorite devices at website: Download Mobdro - Stream TV for free with the Mobdro application
I found that it is not possible to connect to the cars hotspot without using their data. The authentication interface is super crappy. Is there a wired alternative that works. Perhaps a wifi router on a USB stick is one other option- but that will still only be able to play downloaded content.
I also read that Apple TV Gen 4 has peer to peer which can stream over bluetooth. Apparently a pain to set it up but still may work for downloaded content.
View attachment 148309
Download Mobdro and watch free, easy online TV for all your favorite devices.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts