Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone had found an easy way to stream video to the RES. I have a TE, and I'm trying to find an easier/better way to stream video than buying a 10 ft HDMI cable so the front row passenger or myself can play video from a tablet or phone.

I am grandfathered into a plan for a 3G mifi hotspot from Verizon that has truly unlimited data, and I loathe the idea of buying a ton of DVDs to lug around and store in the car. Streaming video seems like a much better and elegant solution.

I am assuming the USB cable in the glove box is useless for video streaming, as is bluetooth.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Ya that USB is useless for what you want. I looked into it, and with our iPad the main way was to get an apple tv and set that up in the trunk. The annoying thing is the power i on the opposite side to the hdmi input. I know someone setup a PS3 but I can't remember if someone has an apple tv.

Anyways, I set mine up with a long hdmi cable. It's not so bad I ran it under the carpet of the 2nd row. Under the carpet of the front row I ran a USB extension to run power to the iPad.
It's certainly not the most elegant, but when not in use most of the coil is under the 2 row seats.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Another grandfather here.I want to get the video to the front display. I have seen some mods documented for this using a toggle swith and relays. Not the way I want to do it so am waiting for a release of a designed module for this mod.

VSA switch to switch b/w NAV and DVD - AcuraZine Community

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/11-au.../79222-dvd-video-nav-using-simple-switch.html

HONDA ODYSSEY 2008-2010 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE

They tell me a 2011/2012 version will be released sometime in Jan 2012. They told me Dec 2011 prior so we'll see. I used one of there modules in my 2004 Accord V6 for DVD video and a backup camera installation and it worked great.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you are stretching a bit the speed, reliability and availability of 3g in a moving vehicle especially for video streaming. Stick to old school DVDs, your kids will thank you :)
I hate buying DVDs in 2012. I hate spending $ on them exclusively for the car when we've moved to Blu-Ray in the house, I hate the lag time for many kid DVDs to get past menus, and I hate the extra clutter in the car.

It's not only the streaming of video over a carrier's network, but relaying of video from a tablet, phone, etc. I have a 32 GB SD card in my phone, my wife now has a 64 GB iPhone 4S. Would be nice to be able to access the videos we have there as well seamlessly through the RES.

I'm still baffled at why the HDMI is all the way in the 3rd row. If I was in Honda's R&D, surely they realized kids are moving from gaming on consoles to gaming on handhelds - tabs, phones, iPods, next gen gaming handhelds?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I hate buying DVDs in 2012. I hate spending $ on them exclusively for the car when we've moved to Blu-Ray in the house, I hate the lag time for many kid DVDs to get past menus, and I hate the extra clutter in the car.

It's not only the streaming of video over a carrier's network, but relaying of video from a tablet, phone, etc. I have a 32 GB SD card in my phone, my wife now has a 64 GB iPhone 4S. Would be nice to be able to access the videos we have there as well seamlessly through the RES.

I'm still baffled at why the HDMI is all the way in the 3rd row. If I was in Honda's R&D, surely they realized kids are moving from gaming on consoles to gaming on handhelds - tabs, phones, iPods, next gen gaming handhelds?
Well, where else should the port be? glove box? I think that would have some serious limitations. 2nd row has sliding doors, so not gonna work, the front center console is removable, so that's not going to work. The ceilling perhaps? But I'd hate to have cables dangle from the ceilling.
I don't think the 3rd row is too bad, I think it's just stupid to put the HDMI on the opposite side of the power supply.

Btw, I have a Dom's nav2Go unit in my TL like Sawadee posted. I really like it, it would be nice to have it in the van too!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts

I agree, things like Netflix are our best friend at home, but possibly moving all the "latest" tech to the car is not something I really care, possibly because we don't spend long time in it (and we want to keep it simple, we have small kids). A couple of notes:

a) DVDs: When we travel we carry 3-4 DVDs max (the screen is so small you don't really see a difference between standard or Blue-Ray DVDs), and out of those we have purchased lately, the Blu-Ray and standard DVD comes as bundles. Also, we have tons of old movies for kids, they are awesome and they just come in the old school DVD, what better than that.

b) Streaming via 3G: A quick example, by looking at the 3G coverage between Philadelphia and Ocean City MD (AT&T), I see more non-coverage spots than highway potholes, even for my wife's calls and the phone showing all bars on 3.5G (HSPA+). I can hear my kids already yelling when the movie pauses/freezes every 2 minutes "loading" :rant:

Anyway, for the rest of the gadget questions, no comments, just thought you said that would stream movies via 3G in a moving vehicle and wanted to save you the kids' rants :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I haven't tried this, but one should be able to stream videos from your iPhone to the AppleTV via airplay:

Using AirPlay

Through an HDMI cable, your AppleTV should then be able to show everything on your RES?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Do you realize how long lead times are when designing cars? Frankly, it's amazing that Honda was forward thinking enough to even put them in. The decision was probably made about 4 years ago. And automakers don't move that fast either. Only Hyundai/Kia really can adjust to a competitor's change in a year or less. Everyone else needs about 3 yrs or more before a change would get implemented.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too am looking for a solution for playing videos for our little ones in the back. I have abandoned DVDs quite a few years ago and have everything from hard drives, ipads, iphones, and usb keys carrying around my video files now. I was hoping that one of these methods would work in our honda (2012 EX-L RES) but so far have just used store bought DVD movies. I have considered ripping and reburning some of our kids favorites in order to remove the previews and limitations on skipping menus but would rather not waste the time if I don't have to. In fact if I am going to go through that trouble I would rather just burn DVDs with multiple movies on it. Does anyone know of a compatible video format that would work in the Honda DVD player? (avi, MKV, etc?)

thanks

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I too am looking for a solution for playing videos for our little ones in the back. I have abandoned DVDs quite a few years ago and have everything from hard drives, ipads, iphones, and usb keys carrying around my video files now. I was hoping that one of these methods would work in our honda (2012 EX-L RES) but so far have just used store bought DVD movies. I have considered ripping and reburning some of our kids favorites in order to remove the previews and limitations on skipping menus but would rather not waste the time if I don't have to. In fact if I am going to go through that trouble I would rather just burn DVDs with multiple movies on it. Does anyone know of a compatible video format that would work in the Honda DVD player? (avi, MKV, etc?)

thanks
I'm not sure of the DVD player let's you play anything besides the commercial DVDs for your region, but check this thread (post #2), that is a clean solution. Use the RGB input and a power outlet that comes with your RES (3rd row):

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/152723-connect-ipod-ipad-hdmi.html

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm not sure of the DVD player let's you play anything besides the commercial DVDs for your region
The Honda Odyssey DVD player will play home burned DVDs on both DVD-R and DVD+R discs. I routinely burn .avi and .wmv files as playable DVD discs using Roxio and they play great in the van.

:)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The Honda Odyssey DVD player will play home burned DVDs on both DVD-R and DVD+R discs. I routinely burn .avi and .wmv files as playable DVD discs using Roxio and they play great in the van.

:)
I second that, I burned several movies on DVDs, works fine, even trimmed a few so i can fit 2 per dvd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts