Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally stripped out the threads on the oil pan on my 2005 EX-L (170+K miles).
It is leaking a little bit oil now. I don't want to go the Helicoil or Time sert route if I can avoid it. I was wondering if I can use an oversize FUMOTO drain valve so I can fix the slow leak and in the future enjoy the convenience of draining oil without having to torque out the drain plug and installing it back?
Has anyone done this and what size/model of FUMOTO will I have to go for this overthreading/oversizing?
Thnx.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just get a self tapping oversize oil drain plug. Something like this one. Just make sure you buy the right size.

I know that I can do that, my question is about getting an oversized plug that will never need removal for future oil draining.
Something like these:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried using a tap that is the same/correct size to see if that will fix the threads? At least, try it before you install an oversized plug.
No I have not tried that... and you are right, it is the right thing to do but it's time consuming and cumbersome. First I have to remove the current plug, drain the oil, install a new plug, refill the oil, drive and wait to see if it is fixed... chances are that the threads are not fixable and I will be back at square one and have to do the oversize or pan replacement after-all. That is why I wanted to go the FUMOTO route so that after replacing it once, I will never have to unscrew the bolt again and I can have easier oil changes in the future.

·
Registered
394 Posts
No I have not tried that... and you are right, it is the right thing to do but it's time consuming and cumbersome. First I have to remove the current plug, drain the oil, install a new plug, refill the oil, drive and wait to see if it is fixed... chances are that the threads are not fixable and I will be back at square one and have to do the oversize or pan replacement after-all. That is why I wanted to go the FUMOTO route so that after replacing it once, I will never have to unscrew the bolt again and I can have easier oil changes in the future.
It is definitely cumbersome, but I would imagine no worse than attempting to force-thread a larger sized Fumoto drain valve into the opening. In order to install the Fumoto, you would have to tap the hole for the threads on the Fumoto valve to minimize the risk of destroying the threads on the Fumoto.

If the oil is still new, you could always keep it and use it to refill.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Easiest thing I would think is buy a correct size tap, clean the threads then install a fumoto valve with some thread sealer on it. You fix both problems in one shot for about $10 from Amazon for a tap and the cost of the fumoto valve.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
FWIW, a lot of people do not like the Fumoto valve. They are not very popular. I bought one for my Odyssey years ago but ended up never installing it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've installed it on my '96 and now my '02. I like being able to drain the oil easily while it's hot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
these pans strip so often, and Odysseys are so plentiful, that a brand new replacement oil pan can be bought for under $100.. This FIXES the problem with all certainty. I did timesert in my gen 2 and it leaked slightly,so when my gen 3 stripped, I bought the oil pan - no regrets. I change the oil and tighten with a torque wrench.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the same vehicle except 360K miles. Stripped out around 275K. This (Eco-plug) worked well; easy to install with no thread leaks. After a few changes I started seeing a couple drops a week on garage floor. Suspect the magnet started to weaken. Adding a fibre washer (easily cut from gasket material) solved the problem. Only downside is slow drain rate; takes 10-15 min. No biggie as I tackle other maintenance tasks while waiting. I also opted to add a secondary magnet from Home Depot when the drips first started; didn't make a difference but I left it for reassurance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Get the longer Honda drain bolt.
I can't find my photo of the two side-by-side that I took when I was doing my conversions to longer drain bolts.
The original bolt had 8 full threads (on my '03 Ody and '06 Pilot) and the Accords (I think it was '98 I picked) had 11 full threads.
Over time, Honda changed parts catalogs so that many, many models got the longer bolt as standard and replacement.
The longer bolt will buy you time before any major change, like an oil pan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the a similar problem, it wasn't completely stripped but also wouldn't completely seal.

My mechanic now uses some type of silicone sealant when reinstalling the plug and no leaks so far.

Wife is happy that the old van ('04, 340k) isn't leaking on her carport anymore...

·
Registered
29 Posts
After many oil changes (mainly at dealer) I encountered stripped oil drain plug at around 225,000 miles. In OdyClub Forum, I reviewed the options (replace pan, longer bolt, rethread, helicoil, various alternate plugs & washers).

I rejected rethreading, helicoil & those aftermarket “cutting” type plugs due to concerns about leaving aluminum shavings inside the oil pan.

A new Genuine Honda OEM pan [11200-P8A-A00 / 11200P8AA00] runs about $150 (or one of several lower priced aftermarket pans) and is a sure solution, though there would also be a significant labor charge.

So, I went with the longer threaded plug based on EricTheCarGuy’s “How to Repair A Stripped Out Aluminum Oil Pan”YouTube video (web ref:
)

This solution really worked!

Since applying this solution, I started changing the engine oil myself, being sure to use a new crush washer and using my own torque wrench with setting of 25ftlb (spec is 29).

This wonderfully (& cheaply) solved the problem! I’m now through 4 oil changes and at 251,000 miles with no leaks!

Good luck!
Please let us know how you proceeded!

CalOdy

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm using temporary plugs from Autozone like that Dorman 65109 above. I hate them because you never know when it fails. So far I've been using them for probably 2-3 years (should knock on wood). But changing oil is a ROYAL pain in the butt. I recently did an oil change and I cursed it many many times.

I'd like to switch to something else. Like Fumoto. In my case the thread is almost gone. So I wonder if that Fumoto plug with make a new thread by itself or should I use make a new bigger thread thirst?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I know that I can do that, my question is about getting an oversized plug that will never need removal for future oil draining.
Something like these:
Looks good to me. I think a thread tap that size alone would cost that much. Will it work without repairing the threads. The Futomo company should advise you on this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After many oil changes (mainly at dealer) I encountered stripped oil drain plug at around 225,000 miles. In OdyClub Forum, I reviewed the options (replace pan, longer bolt, rethread, helicoil, various alternate plugs & washers).

I rejected rethreading, helicoil & those aftermarket “cutting” type plugs due to concerns about leaving aluminum shavings inside the oil pan.

A new Genuine Honda OEM pan [11200-P8A-A00 / 11200P8AA00] runs about $150 (or one of several lower priced aftermarket pans) and is a sure solution, though there would also be a significant labor charge.

So, I went with the longer threaded plug based on EricTheCarGuy’s “How to Repair A Stripped Out Aluminum Oil Pan”YouTube video (web ref:
)

This solution really worked!

Since applying this solution, I started changing the engine oil myself, being sure to use a new crush washer and using my own torque wrench with setting of 25ftlb (spec is 29).

This wonderfully (& cheaply) solved the problem! I’m now through 4 oil changes and at 251,000 miles with no leaks!

Good luck!
Please let us know how you proceeded!

CalOdy
Thanks for sharing this idea. I am definitely going to look into this.

·
Registered
240 Posts
When I stripped out the drain hole on the oil pan of my 07 Accord V6 (same pan as Odyssey), I managed to seal it using permatex high temp threadlocker + Fumoto valve + JB weld and had it hold for over 3 years. JB weld was used where Fumoto valve meets the pan. Then I changed out the pan after 3 years. Fumoto valve is what everyone should do because the soft aluminum literally starts wearing out after 200k miles no matter how careful you are. Fumoto does not drain that slow and I've been using it for over 5 years now. If you haven't used it then I'm not sure why not, you'll never risk stripping out the pan again EVER. With 90 degree elbow adapter on Fumoto F106S + clear hose, it's a no mess oil change. (filter excluded, that's still a small mess)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Get the longer Honda drain bolt.
I can't find my photo of the two side-by-side that I took when I was doing my conversions to longer drain bolts.
The original bolt had 8 full threads (on my '03 Ody and '06 Pilot) and the Accords (I think it was '98 I picked) had 11 full threads.
Over time, Honda changed parts catalogs so that many, many models got the longer bolt as standard and replacement.
The longer bolt will buy you time before any major change, like an oil pan.
Found it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts