Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 EX-L with approximately 182K miles. I have been advised that I need to replace my front struts and rear shocks (I was told that they are probably the originals!). I would like some recommendations for struts and shocks for my van. I found some Sensen struts ($28.00 each), but I wasn't sure if that was a good brand or if I should try and find some KYB, Tokico, or Billstein shocks/struts to install instead. I appreaciate your help!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
On my '06, I went with Honda struts and Monroe OESpectrum shocks in the back. No issues at all, no complaints. But, if I had to change the shocks again, I might try the KYB.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just replaced the rear shocks on my '10 with KYB last week.. Very happy. Bought from Amazon, free shipping and a good price.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Keep in mind that in most cases, especially at that mileage, the entire strut assembly should be replaced due to age/weakness of the springs and wear and tear on the strut mounts. The Sensen struts you mentioned can only be the gas charged unit itself. It's not uncommon, even if you aren't having any noticeable noise or looseness from the upper mounts, that the process of disassembling and reassembling the strut will create or enhance any issues of that nature once it is back together. I can't tell you how many times a customer has come into my shop within 6 months of having done only the struts with a complaint about clunking, creaking, etc., and we discover that another shop or the dealer replaced only the struts. I second the KYB choice. Also, despite the higher price for the entire assembly the savings in labor pretty much offsets the parts cost.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Depending on where you live and how you drive, you may not need shocks and struts. Did you go into the shop with a complaint? I've lived in the Maryland suburbs of DC for 38 years, and have never had to replace shocks or struts

Also, be very careful the struts and shocks you buy may be worse than the ones you have. Certainly, and unless there is now magic in the world, $28 Sensen struts, which used to be a breath mint, can't, just can't, be very good.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'd second the recommendation to make sure you really need them - what does tire wear look like? do you have a lot more body roll than before, van feels floatier than before, etc.

OEM or KYB would get my vote - you can get full assemblies (strut, spring, mount, boot, bumper) from Rockauto from KYB (with their excel-g struts) for $150 each. Rear shocks are around $40 a side

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have 2008 EX-L with about 116,000 on it. Last week just replaced the factory struts and shocks with KYB's - I bought the KYB Ready Struts and rear shocks from Rock Auto - Had an issue with the KYB Ready Struts in which the springs were torqued incorrectly had to disassemble them and utilize the original OEM springs which were surprisingly good also changed the front stabilizer links and bushings. Rides tight with no squeaks - in hindsight no ready struts in the future.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Depending on where you live and how you drive, you may not need shocks and struts. Did you go into the shop with a complaint? I've lived in the Maryland suburbs of DC for 38 years, and have never had to replace shocks or struts

Also, be very careful the struts and shocks you buy may be worse than the ones you have. Certainly, and unless there is now magic in the world, $28 Sensen struts, which used to be a breath mint, can't, just can't, be very good.
Over the years I have had had many experienced mechanics l respect tell me that shocks are an up sell item. If the shock has an oil leak or bounces unevenly or you have uneven tire wear not related to misalignment or serious under or over inflation
I have an 08 EX-L with approximately 182K miles. I have been advised that I need to replace my front struts and rear shocks (I was told that they are probably the originals!). I would like some recommendations for struts and shocks for my van. I found some Sensen struts ($28.00 each), but I wasn't sure if that was a good brand or if I should try and find some KYB, Tokico, or Billstein shocks/struts to install instead. I appreaciate your help!
why are you changing them? If leaking do it. If car bouncing unevenly on one corner, do it. I have over 200k on my 05 and have perfect performance and tire wear. Shocks are a common unnecessary upsale item.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Know why the recommendation to replace!
My 03, which I gave to my son with 160K now has about 180K. Still all original shocks and struts. But I did notice one strut starting to leak a little.
Also, has never had an alignment. Tracks and wears perfectly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Keep in mind that in most cases, especially at that mileage, the entire strut assembly should be replaced due to age/weakness of the springs and wear and tear on the strut mounts. The Sensen struts you mentioned can only be the gas charged unit itself. It's not uncommon, even if you aren't having any noticeable noise or looseness from the upper mounts, that the process of disassembling and reassembling the strut will create or enhance any issues of that nature once it is back together. I can't tell you how many times a customer has come into my shop within 6 months of having done only the struts with a complaint about clunking, creaking, etc., and we discover that another shop or the dealer replaced only the struts. I second the KYB choice. Also, despite the higher price for the entire assembly the savings in labor pretty much offsets the parts cost.
I agree with the complete strut/spring assembly replacement. I had that done on the front of my '04 EX-L at around 105K miles and the handling and control was greatly improved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I replaced mine all around with OEM assemblies on the front and KYB purchased cheapest from Walmart of all places. That was 3 years ago and no complaints. The ride was much improved and have had no issues with alignment since. If you do a search for what you just asked you’ll see several prior threads and this same recommendation along with part numbers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just did this. It was between sensen and kyb. I read somewhere that Sensen gave the softer ride (not sure if true) and it was cheaper so I bought sensen. I recommend buying the front strut assembly. I went cheap bought the front shocks only, rented a pair of shock compressors and it was a pain in the ass! Almost killed myself when one of the safety pins on the spring compressors came loose and the spring popped back. Never again. Don’t go cheap! Get the ready strut. Had to get an alignment afterwards, car was pulling to the right. Works good now. Ride not as soft as I would have liked, but I wanted a Lexus like ride, so bad expectations. No squeaks or weird noises. Ready strut will save you 80% install time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2008 EX-L with about 116,000 on it. Last week just replaced the factory struts and shocks with KYB's - I bought the KYB Ready Struts and rear shocks from Rock Auto - Had an issue with the KYB Ready Struts in which the springs were torqued incorrectly had to disassemble them and utilize the original OEM springs which were surprisingly good also changed the front stabilizer links and bushings. Rides tight with no squeaks - in hindsight no ready struts in the future.
What do you mean "torqued incorrectly "? What does that mean?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I recommend like a lot on here to replace the entire strut. They are very inexpensive at places like rock auto and many others. We call them quick struts. Very easy to do for a full time mechanic. If you do it yourself you have to be very careful with the abs wire and the brake hose. Undue the wire and brake hose holders. Watch YouTube and take your time. 1 side at a time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just did this. It was between sensen and kyb. I read somewhere that Sensen gave the softer ride (not sure if true) and it was cheaper so I bought sensen. I recommend buying the front strut assembly. I went cheap bought the front shocks only, rented a pair of shock compressors and it was a pain in the ass! Almost killed myself when one of the safety pins on the spring compressors came loose and the spring popped back. Never again. Don’t go cheap! Get the ready strut. Had to get an alignment afterwards, car was pulling to the right. Works good now. Ride not as soft as I would have liked, but I wanted a Lexus like ride, so bad expectations. No squeaks or weird noises. Ready strut will save you 80% install time.
Glad you didn’t get hurt! We have a wall mounted strut compressor that can’t skip gathering dust. We don’t use it anymore. Only quick struts!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Greetings. On my 2007 EX, I replaced the rear shocks with KYB several years ago along with new Moog springs. No complaints. At the same time, I replaced the fronts with Monroe OESpectrum quickstruts as there were no KYB's available anywhere. 1 of the Monroe's was bad as soon as I installed it. RockAuto replaced it for free and it had to be replaced ~2 years later (driver side). The other Monroe quickstruts (passenger side) is fine. I recommend replacing the Front Stabilizer Links at same time your replace Front struts.

I also got a lifetime alignment deal with Firestone and have used it several times as I later replaced front and rear control arms.

You should go KYB if you can for front and back...and use RockAuto as it's easier to replace with them if necessary. Good luck.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Glad you didn’t get hurt! We have a wall mounted strut compressor that can’t skip gathering dust. We don’t use it anymore. Only quick struts!!
To determine if shocks and/or struts are needed, I have paid attention to what happens when I turn into a driveway at an angle, which rocks the vehicle side to side. As shocks wear, this becomes increasingly uncomfortable and less controlled.

Using a pair of these portable spring compressors is a dangerous deal. The shops that do this work have a bench mounted spring compressor. It might just be worth a few bucks to get a shop to change them out.

Years ago I had a front spring get away when the spring compressor slipped when I dropped the assembly from maybe ten inches above the bench. I was lucky. No damage to me or to anything else.

My solution was to place a swatch of old rubber inner tube between the compressor and the spring. I also have two pairs of spring compressors. I have done several front spring sets this way and they have not gotten away from me. I also used small C clamps on the spring to keep the compressor jaws from sliding off of the spring.

As for using new springs, if they sag, if the ride height is lower than spelled out in the service manual, is when they might need replacement. I didn't notice sagging front springs on my 15 year-old Odyssey with 250k, and never changed them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts