Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Both Ready Struts when received the mounts were not horizontally level both were tilted at an angle - upon taking them apart examined the springs and noted some deficiencies - curvature on some of the loops were not symmetrical, double checked to make sure they were not placed upside down. Reassemble them both and compressed mounts still tilted on both - replaced the springs with the original OEM ones reassembled both were completely level and ready to mount.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Funny you should ask, I replaced my rear shocks last week and I will be replacing the struts in the next few weeks. I bought KYB shocks and so far, they are working well. I will be getting KYB front struts to match the rear shocks. They are not the cheapest, but I trust them more than I would other brands that have been mentioned. OEM from Honda I am sure are fine, but you will pay a lot more and not get more. I bought from rockauto.com as they had the best prices.

Don't listen to other folks who said are you sure you need shocks? After 182k miles you are WAY overdue for new struts and shocks. There is more than one reason to swap them out. A lot of people wait till their shocks leak before they change them. But shocks and struts are wear items and slowly start to perform worse. The degradation is very gradual so you probably won't notice it. Worn shocks and sturts make your car perform worse. The handling will be affected as well as the braking distances. I didn't notice my '12 with 80k miles was due until I had a rental car for a week and came back to my Ody and noticed how sloppy the car felt.

If you are planning on doing the swap yourself, the rears are pretty easy. The only thing to watch out for is that after 182k miles those nuts are going to be difficult to remove. You should start spraying penetrating fluid on the nuts a few days in advance. The fronts are more difficult as you will need a spring compressor. DON'T EVEN THINK OF DOING IT WITHOUT A SPRING COMPRESSOR!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts