Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching around and haven't found a DIY for shocks and struts for the 05+ Ody. Does anyone have one or is it the same as the instructions here: 99-04 Struts

What about the back?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been looking also and have nothing to tell you,

·
Registered
606 Posts
Basically although I have yet to go there myself, the vehicle is very similar to others. In the back shocks have two bolts, heard you remove tires to access top. Struts are pretty typical and you need some experience and you need more tools:

borrow a spring compressor from parts store

air impact gun for spring compressor highly recommended

Usually an allen wrench or a small box end needed for shaft of strut

When you replace spring use same orientation and replace all the stuff the same way it went on. One time I was doing one late at night (was a bit of a nitemare to do this on a GM van) and I left out a bushing and had to remove and compress spring again! I usually don't replace the strut bearings as I've had good luck with them and I'm cheap (my vehicles I'm takling about have 100k on replacement struts and original bearings), but if you wanted to you can put new ones on. Be sure and get the spring in the same way and all that on reassembly.

You'll need front end alignment checked afterward - soon afterward, from what I've read. My GM's did not require that the way they mounted, YMMV :D

·
Registered
664 Posts
2SLO2GO said:
I have been looking also and have nothing to tell you,
Yes, its basically the same as the 99-04

The rear uses shocks which are really easy and quick to replace. The front needs spring compressors for macperson style struts.

Recommend getting hydraulic spring compressor on ebay. The 150 dollar ones will do better.

Or, you can take both struts off with the springs and have them swapped at a nearby shop for 15-20 bucks a piece.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I'm familiar with swapping struts on German cars which can be incredibly complicated, just wanted to see if there were any gremlins before I got started.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Just did it today.

Ok here's the overview, its really not hard to change rear shocks on a 05+.

You may have to break loose lugs before jacking up wheel. Jack up vehicle. Use a Jack stand to be safe. Remove rear tire. Remove two upper shock mounting fasteners. One is nut and one is bolt.

Remove lower mount nut and washer. Note the washer bows OUT away from shock when reinstalling.

This is the only sort of hard part. Use a pry bar or something to move shock towards end of the lower mounting shaft. The manual says you should use a jack to compress the suspension slightly before removing the shock, and it does help. I had the van on a lift so I only used a floor jack to support the A arm a little.

Pull shock away from upper mount. Using body weight compress shock fully! push shock into open area over top of lower mount. Now the lower shock bushing should slide off the shaft easily since the angle was removed by pushing the top part towards the center of the van. Remove old shock.

Take new shock, compress fully if possible. Attempt to hold it compressed, but it will likely start to expand. No worries, slide bottom bushing over the stud before it gets too long. Guide shock as it expands. You may need to jack up the suspension a little to match the holes in the shock mount with the van's mounting fasteners. Do the fixed stud first, then adjust the jack to align the bolt hole. The two on mine do not align at the same time, the bushing slightly gives so that they can be attached, a bit odd design but it works OK. If you have to rotate the shock to make things line up that's perfectly fine.

Torque upper fasteners to about 35 lbs and lower nut to about 55lbs.

Yer' done!

FYI, the stock OEM shocks had about 1/2 the internal gas pressure of the Monroe Sensatacks. The new shocks give me more "spring" in the rear from the gas increasing the spring rate slightly, but they ride just a smidgen stiffer, but its pretty hard to measure.

This could be done in less than hour for both if you have stuff at hand.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Actually there is an easier way for REAR shock replacement.

In this thread, scroll down to Thread #10 and #11 to see REAR Shock Info:

DIY: 2007 Honda Odyssey Front Brake Rotor (also Rear Rotor & Shock Absorber Pics)
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=85532

Here is the easy trick:
1. Once the Car is jacked up, place a JACKSTAND (Green Arrow in attached Pic) under the Chassis at Jacking Point.

2. Use a JACK (or Floor Jack) and jack under the REAR Control Arm as shown (Violet Arrow in attached Pic).
You don't need much, just jack it up 1-2 inches, this will release the pressure on the REAR shock enough to be removed. See attached Pic!

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well I did say to jack the control arm up a bit like in the shop manual... :D in my pic that's what the jack is doing, not supporting the van! Great to share info.

Thanks CNN

·
Registered
35 Posts
rear shocks

Great post on shocks. I need to replace rears and was hoping for more choices than OEM and a Monroe. I hadn't heard of the 'senza trac' sp? By monroe?

Any other options and good parts place to buy from. Any help is good

·
Registered
606 Posts
Re: rear shocks

ODYISLAND said:
Great post on shocks. I need to replace rears and was hoping for more choices than OEM and a Monroe. I hadn't heard of the 'senza trac' sp? By monroe?

Any other options and good parts place to buy from. Any help is good
Monroe Sensatrack's are the top end for Monroe, and best price I found was on rockauto.com They also have great prices on other stuff like interior air filters.

·
Registered
35 Posts
< "Monroe Sensatrack's are the top end for Monroe, and best price I found was on rockauto.com They also have great prices on other stuff like interior air filters.">

Thanks fot the tip on Monroe's. I just asked my local Napa store and got a quote for $45 each so just going to pickup and install this weekend. That's half the price of the OEM which I thought were cr*p anyway.
Great prices on the rockauto.com I'll add that for future use. They have the shocks for a few bucks less then Napa too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The most difficult part of this job is to compress the springs and install the struts. My local Napa store has a machine shop and they will assemble the struts for $18.00 per side.

Call around and find a shop, Napa store or automotive machine shop that will do them for you.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Wonder when Monroe will release a front strut for the 05+ oddy? Haven't seen it yet. KYB is alternative, and those lasted well on my other vehicle I had years ago, but it was stiffer. After driving the Monroes a bit, I'd rate them "refined, cushy, controlled" They allow suspension to travel and adsorb shocks like my driveway entrance which is like driving over 1/2 a speed bump. But on the road they work well and even though I'm pretty picky about suspension and stuff I find them a good fit for the use of a minivan. lifetime warranty too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Picked up a rear set of Monroe shocks that I'll put on today with instructions from this tread.

FYI - This morning drove by a Shucks now / O'Reilly with advert for 3 shocks the fourth is free deal...To bad I don't have a Friend with an Ody needing rear shocks :)

I don't see why I can't compress the rear shocks for install myself...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Uh...you can compress them yourself, that's the idea! Just stiffer than stock gas charge. Good luck. If I knew you needed them we could have split the 4 shocks, LOL.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I"m getting ready to replace my rear shocks today! Thanks so much for the post. I've had the shocks for months, but couldn't loosen the nut. If I had, I probably would have more of a difficult time figuring out how to remove and install the new shock.

I might post pics as well during the process if I have time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I replaced both shocks in around 2-3 hours. The left shock was done. Thanks for the post about raising the rear control arm with a floor jack. That did help remove and install the shock. I've attached an image that is a side view showing the floor jack raising the rear control arm.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
The new shock has the top piece rotated 90 degrees. It was very hard to rotate that bushing with the metal piece, and install it on the van.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 145 Posts