Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On vacation in Colorado, got to Denver, and my Trans seems to be doing the all too common CEL with the TCC error code.

I had seen the error before, but I changed the fluid and it stopped, never had any hard shifting or any other symptoms.

Well, after driving out here- about 800 miles, now it is lacking power, and it shift quite hard into 2nd and 3rd gear.

I realize the very real possibility with the power issue is the altitude adjustment, so I pulled the battery cable to reset the onboard computer and force it to recalibrate. Will see if that helps on that front.

I don't relish the idea of being stuck in the middle of nowhere Nebraska on the way home and losing the trans all together.

Any good shops any Denver people could recommend for getting it checked out and an honest assessment of what needs to be done to get us home?

Thanks.

BB.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Change out the fluid, drive it, change it again, drive it a little more change it again. Keep the rpms below 3.5 in town and 3 on the hills. Should get you home.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, after the battery pull/reset, it seemed to drive much better. Apparently the Air/fuel mixture messes with the timing of the shifts as well or something.

Had to do it again after coming down out of the Denver area.

BB.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am back home now. All safe and sound.

I talked to my Mechanic friend who has worked on transmissions and knows a LOT more about them than me.

Apparently the TCC- Torque Converter Clutch basically creates a physical union at cruising speeds and takes the place of the fluid coupling at that point. Makes sense- the code always sets around 55 mph or when passing etc.

BB.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Bart, thanks for the update, glad you made it home A-OK.

Keep us posted. I'm interested to see how this all pans out.

OF

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the same issue near St George, Utah. I live in Denver. The transmission basically blew the the seal, and most likely overheated and damaged the transmission, towed it to a utah dealer and was told the transmission had to be replaced. would drive with added ATF, but how long would it last? Was quoted $3500 for R&R, car was worth about $4000. It would also take three working days to get the parts there.

So decided to take my losses and bought a new 2010 EXL-L R&N on the spot. I paid about $2000 too much, but had no choice. this time I installed a transmission cooler and hopefully this won't happen again.

I was going to trade it in for a 2011 when they come out.

It was a 2001 with about 180K and on the second transmission.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts