Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 95 Odyssey (250k km or 156k miles) has been exhibiting a problem for about a month now. The gear lever is very difficult to shift out of reverse. It goes into reverse not too badly (though this is degrading too), but once we need to shift to go forward, the lever seems stuck and takes a huge effort to force the gear lever down, out of reverse and into N or D.

I understand there is a brake solenoid to enable shifting out of park into gear, but this hasn't been our issue. Could this same solenoid lead to our symptoms, or does anyone recognize what might be the cause?

I've tried searching this forum and on the general web without success.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I opened up the steering column cover to inspect and analyze the problem. I can confirm that the park-shift solenoid works fine and that it is not related to the problem.

Closer inspection shows that the mechanical linkage gets stuck at R:
Gear will go from P to R then gets stuck.
Forcing the gear with quite some force will get the gear down to D3 or 2 or 1, depending on how hard it was being pulled down. Once it is out of R, then all the gears are smooth, even going back to R and down again.
But it will now resist going into P, and needs to be forced into P.

Anyone with experience/understanding of the shift mechanical linkage?

ps. title of thread should read stiff/stuck gear not "stuff"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi tirtho,

As of yet, I haven't found a solution, though I haven't taken it to Honda or any mechanic. I have removed the covers and inspected for any binding, and lubed all hinges and contact points.

The problem persists, though some days the lever will act almost normal with minimal resistance. I will repeat that the park-shift solenoid is not the culprit as it's working fine.

If I do find a solution, I will post it, though we are considering selling it at this point to update our stable. But there is nothing out there nearly as good or versatile. Mazda5 comes close, but we actually need 7 passenger capability, not just 6. Kia Rondo is another (the only?) prospect but boy, is that ass ugly or what...The front isn't very nice either, but it's not as outright repulsive as the rear.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have a similiar issue with mine. It all started when I inserted the key into the slot on the steering column which allows you to take it out of park without turning the key. I may have inserted it a little to far and now it does what yours does. I haven't tried to remedy it, but I'm certain it was caused by this. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the only thing left was to take the transmission off and see if it was one of the ball/spring type components locking up where the linkage goes in to the transmission, for me to do it I am looking at a week and a lot of pain since I would be doing the work as an extra curricular activity,

to make a long story short, I ended up putting the van up for sale and now its gone, and its someone else's problem, thanks for your replies and help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow and I thought mine was the only one doing this. I have just been dealing with the problem. Though I have not tr9ed anything yet i have a lot of other thing to fix first.

such as a really soft brake pedal lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For a while, I've been having the exact issue initially described in this thread by jlee. In my case, shifting to and from park usually got easier after the car ran for a bit, but recently, the shifter got stuck in reverse for real and won't move anymore. Obviously this is a problem as I can't start the car anymore. Seeing I'm not the only one with this problem, I was hoping someone had been able to fix it... Help!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts