Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi gang,
i'm eagerly anticipating 8/24 - not because it's the 6th anniversary of windows 95 (bet you didn't know that!
but for the 2002 pricing, of course.
i was planning on ordering an RES - we have our first baby due in january, and i figure we won't get any real use of the RES till about 1 year later, at least (other than me playing in the van, watching tv while wife shops, etc.) - i've heard from at least one site member who swears by the navigation system. i usually go online, get maps before a trip, etc. - however, it might come in handy for locating a gas station or restaurant (still sounds like more of a toy) - i figure if i get the NAV, i could get the IVES later on (and have a video player rather than dvd - all my stuff is on dvd, but vcp would allow more flexibility - and i don't think the van will have 5.1 anyway) - anyone have any opinions on the 2001 nav? and about the 2002 bid decision - nav v. res? thanks a bunch! also, if you woulnd't mind cutting and pasting to my e-mail, [email protected], i'd be very appreciative! thanks a bunch!
Gary
$500 deposit with dealer for a blank van - maybe not that smart!

·
Registered
368 Posts
We have an '01 TW EX with the Nav system. Nav system is a very practical option. Can't believe how much we use and rely upon it now that we have it. It is MUCH better than downloading maps off the internet for directions.

If it was a choice between Nav and RES, I'd easily go with the Nav because its very difficult to add the Nav system after you purchase the vehicle (See thread on Negmoria conversion on this board). OTOH, installing an aftermarket RES is relatively simple and cheap. I purchased the Jensen flip down unit on ubid for $274, got a Sony 12v VCP off ebay for $108, FM Modulator for $30, power amplified tv antenna for $50-so my RES will cost around $500 plus my time for installation. Of course, my vcp is not integrated into the front dash, but I don't really mind having it located under one of the front seats as the kids are all old enough to operate the vcp from the back seats with the provided remote.

·
1,484 Posts
FACT: Both RES and NAVI systems can be bought aftermarket. But (IMO) there are certain draw backs going w/ aftermarket systems.

NAVI - Of course, if you ask me I would say go with the NAVI because I love the fact that there's a well integrated video screen in the middle of my dash. Very James Bond-ish! Plus you have the option to do VideoNAVI modification. Another very cool feature.

RES - Based on what I've read the 2002 RES controls look to be very well integrated throughout the van. 3 ways to control it. Much more convenient and diverse than any aftermarket system that I know of.

So I guess it would depend on who you would rather have the cooler toy first. The people in the front (mainly adults) or the people in the back(most likely kids).

Just my two pennies.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
478 Posts
I decided to go with the Nav for the same reasons johnkalajian mentioned. Mainly, the Nav system is near impossible to install later if you want it (for us mere mortals
). There are several options for a RES aftermarket, although as nemogira points out, none will be as "trick" or well integrated as the factory set-up perhaps.
Besides, for my kids (age 6 and 8) they manage to entertain themselves quite well with books, drawing, writing, music etc. so that we don't feel the need for video in the van. Nothing against videos at all, and I admit at times it would be nice (really looong trips). I've heard nothing but positive comments on the Nav so that's my .02!

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys - now i'm really scratching my head - i think the RES would be the cat's meow, but the idea of NAV really appeals to my inner and outer child (besides, i won't be able to watch the RES from the front, but i can look at the nav screen
i'll see if i can get a demo at the dealer on any NAV systems (even if in an accord or whatever - or maybe they'll have a display set up - not likely though!)
i BELIEVE the NAV is supposed to be on one DVD instead of roughly 6 for the cheaper systems (i'm in new york and new jersey mostly, and the 6 disc versions cut off right in the middle of ny and nj - you have to swap cds!) - does anyone have any info on the street level detailing? it would stink if it only had highways and missed the smaller streets - thanks again all!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Gary, the Accords are not available with Nav-you could swing by an Acura dealer though and take a look at one. There should be a few MDX or TL/CLs you could see, it's the same system as far as I know.

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I hate that I had to choose between the two options as well. I want them both, and will probably end up with them both eventually.

Since I have to choose, the easy answer for me is NAV. The NAV is just about a must-have for me. Once you have one, you can't do without it. The street-level detail is fantastic. Really the Honda system is one of the best I've ever used (a friend has a 2000 Ody with NAV, so I've used it a lot).

- Darell

·
Registered
22 Posts
I own a 1999 Acura 3.2 TL with NAV. It has paid for itself by the amount of use that my wife and I get out of it. One thing I have noticed about the 2002 Ody is that the DVD drive is located near the floor whereas the head unit/CD drive is located near the top of the dash. It should not be very difficult to integrate the OEM DVD drive + screen unit. I plan on purchasing the EXL-NAVI and adding the OEM RES system through the dealer. If I do this then my insurance company will not require any extra insurance as it will be considered part of the initial purchase.

Has anyone compared the headrest LCD screens vs. the center LCD screen? I would think the LD screens in the headrests would give two advantages over the center LCD screen. One being the rear view mirror would not be blocked and the other being it would be easier for the back passengers see the video output. How amount seperate video inputs for each screen? One could watch a DVD movie while someone else could play a video game.

[This message has been edited by MichaelJW (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'd like the same thing, and the dealer is still scratching it's collective head on how to procede. Let's keep everybody posted if somebody figures out how to "integrate the factory RES with the Nav package." If it was easy, why wouldn't they just do it at the factory? hmmm.

- Darell

·
Registered
585 Posts
Flip-down LCD is no problem. Even the 7" systems don't come anywhere close when fully extended to block the rearview mirror.

Try it; take a look out the rearview mirror & see how far up you have to adjust it before you are looking at the headliner.

Now if we're talking a 14" LCD...then I'd say do the mod that puts a tiny LCD screen in your rearview mirror and camera on your rear spoiler and power it w/ the reverse lights!

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:
I'd like the same thing, and the dealer is still scratching it's collective head on how to procede. Let's keep everybody posted if somebody figures out how to "integrate the factory RES with the Nav package." If it was easy, why wouldn't they just do it at the factory? hmmm.

- Darell
</font>
I don't blame the dealer for scratching his head. One of my major concerns (if attempting this mod) would be "How to compensate for the all the fuctions nicely intergrated into that RES headunit?" Such as control and sound.

The original iVES had it's own seperate controls and sound was piped through a FM modulator. I'm assuming the new and improved headunit intergrates all this in it's wiring harness. Just like how the NAVI voice/mute functions work with the EX headunit.

My guess is there's no easy way to get the controls in the front like in an RES. But you do have the two other controls - the remote and the lcd unit itself. Although the DVD slot is still all the way in the front.

-Nestor

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone interested in the RES system check out http://www.rearseatvideo.com. I talked to one of the guys and he told me they are the ones that designed the system specifically for the ODY. Anyone with the NAV should talk to these guys regarding the addition of the RES. THey have great prices and my guess would be that if anyone can offer an integrated system they could.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts