Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the logic behind the feature where if I use the remote to unlock the doors, but dont open a door in 15 seconds, the doors relock?

Does Honda think that because a full 15 seconds have passed I have forgotten that I left my car unlocked thereby causing a risk to the valuable property inside?

With the exception of my getting Alzheimers disease, I can envision a realistic scenario where this this feature is a benefit. Can you?

I can certainly come up with realistic scenarios where this feature is a real negative, like when you unlock the car for your spouse while you take the keys and go inside a store for something you forgot. If your spouse doesnt get the door open in 15 seconds, they dont get in.

Honda, if you are listening, get rid of this feature.

·
Registered
596 Posts
NOT STUPID!

I have had cars with remotes for years and this feature is neat. In the past, I would accidently unlock the doors on the car when in a store or restaruant. Children crawling on my lap or me fishing around in my pocket sometimes accidently activated the UNLOCK or worse, the PANIC features. The Honda system ensures that the doors automatically re-lock if the van isn't entered in a short while.

Fred

[This message has been edited by FW_in_OKC (edited 03-15-2002).]

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree with Fred. In addition, I wouldn't want some stray signal - intentional or not, to leave my doors unlocked.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Your wife can't be trusted with her own keys?!?!

·
Registered
579 Posts
I agreed. It is a neat feature. The auto lock feature prevent me from leaving the doors unlock in the event I forgot to relock the doors. Leave it alone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PD55:
Your wife can't be trusted with her own keys?!?!</font>
The Odyssey is my car and she doesnt want her own set of keys. My wife despises minivans, somehow equating them with a loss of her youth and beauty (both of which she retains in great abundance!).

I am little surprised that others like this feature. To me, it is just irritating to have the car overriding my command by relocking it FIFTEEN seconds later!

·
Registered
317 Posts
moopie, i think the feature was added more for other outside influences that could trigger your car to unlock, that is why if you drive home and not lock your car in the garage the next day it will still be unlock but if you lock it and don't open the doors it will relock. the influences i am refering to are stuff like the radar systems used in military jets and other commercial jets. Apparently in the early days houses that were close to airports would have garage doors open and close as jets were coming in for landings. i think they solved that situation with the rolling codes but maybe it hasn't migrated to the cars yets. i too was puzzled with this feature till someone at work told me about the garage doors. Ken

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FW_in_OKC:
NOT STUPID!

I have had cars with remotes for years and this feature is neat. In the past, I would accidently unlock the doors on the car when in a store or restaruant. Children crawling on my lap or me fishing around in my pocket sometimes accidently activated the UNLOCK or worse, the PANIC features. The Honda system ensures that the doors automatically re-lock if the van isn't entered in a short while.

Fred

[This message has been edited by FW_in_OKC (edited 03-15-2002).]
</font>
I agree. Under normal circumstances why would it take one 15 seconds to open the door once one hit the unlock button on the remote?

------------------
Dave
02 GG Odyssey EXL, Full Nose Mask, Cargo Tray, Mud Guards, Leather Steering Wheel Cover, Dash Designs Dash Mat, Fog Lights. Coming soon: S2000 antenna mod, RES.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Add my vote to the "keep it" list. The same feature is on our Accord and once you know its there its hard to mess it up.

I don't trigger the doors if I think it will take me more than 15 secs to get to the car. And if it gets triggered by accident I know it will be locked when I return.

------------------
2002 RRP EX-L RES - expected in April or May 2002
1998 EX-V6 Accord
1988 Si-4WS Prelude - soon to be gone

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PD55:
Your wife can't be trusted with her own keys?!?!</font>
It's only ONE key! Granted, it is a large key, but only ONE key!

BTW: It you ask your salesman nicely, he'll probably give you an extra one or two. Also, the valet key is just as good as the regular one, IMO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is "Smart" to re-lock, not "Stupid".
I have no problem with this feature because I open the door immediately after I unlock it. My Lexus and Toyota has the same feature also.

Ray

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like the feature. Also, the owners manual says 30 seconds. I have not timed it myself, but is that correct? Or is it 15 secs?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Now I know the reason behind this system. This forum is really educative. OK, now I like this feature. Anyway I usually open the sliding door via remote immediately after I unlock the car, so I've never encountered the problem due to this feature -- well, I'd better to say I was not even aware of this feature.

BTW, the garage door of my house suddenly opened last night. Is this also due to some interference? Anyone had such experience? Yes, the opener uses the rolling codes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I stand corrected about the delay being 30 seconds, not 15. I am not sure where I got that number.

It appears I am in the underwhelming minority on the usefulness of this relocking feature. My feelings probably eminate from a general frustration with the remote door unlocking system, especially the unlocking of any non-drivers door. In my impatience to unlock a non-driver's door, I am able to push the button about 5 times before the other doors unlock. It seems that the door unlocking system requires a pause between the unlocking of the drivers door and the other doors, rather than accepting two immediate pushes of the button. This annoys me.

This little relocking feature has tripped me up several times, adding a little fuel to the fire of my Odyssey door locking/unlocking frustration. I would rather the car not try and do my thinking for me when it comes to re-locking the doors, or requiring multiple button pushs to unlock the entire car. I am ready, willing, and able to accept the risks to my safety and my car in a vehicle that has one simple button that unlocks and locks the entire car, with no relocking. The benefit is simplicity. It seems from the archives that no one has figured out how to do it.

Is this a big deal? Of course not. Just my $.02 on how to improve the car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
moopie said:
What is the logic behind the feature where if I use the remote to unlock the doors, but dont open a door in 15 seconds, the doors relock?............
I can certainly come up with realistic scenarios where this feature is a real negative, like when you unlock the car for your spouse while you take the keys and go inside a store for something you forgot. If your spouse doesnt get the door open in 15 seconds, they dont get in...............
One takes the key and the other gets the remote lock.
I like the feature.:p

·
Registered
64 Posts
its a great feature

I wish my sable wagon had that feature, when I accidently hit the remote unlock as I was entering the home, I sure miss my laptop computer, and my custom golf clubs... can you say "GONE IN 60 SECONDS"... cause thats all I was in the house for..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts