Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sick of the horrible braking of this van. I am on a family vacation and we just drove from Kansas to Colorado then to Wyoming and through the steep hills our van still wobbles terribly when braking and I just about a month ago replaced the front rotors and pads. I am desperate at this point I either have to find a big brake kit for the van or bite the bullet and have Honda dry dock me. Are there any big brake kits that fit with oem rims? Either Honda should do a recall on the brake system or I’ve got a lemon.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I haven’t seen anybody have to resort to a big brake kit yet to resolve this issue. Aftermarket pads and rotors seem to be the sure fire long term solution (some would argue the OEM pads are fine and it’s actually the OEM rotors that are causing the issue). Centric rotors and Akebono pads are said to be a good combo.

What brand of pads and rotors did you install on the front? Were they bedded correctly after installation? How old are the rear pads and rotors?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The fronts I just replaced with these from amazon: Max Brakes Front Premium Brake Kit [ OE Series Rotors + Ceramic Pads. It didn’t come with a brake bed in procedure but I followed one I looked up online. I replaced the rear brake pads with power stop also from amazon but left the original rotors because they were still within spec. I originally had a full front and rear slotted pad and rotor set I bought from amazon by power stop. I originally did the front and never got to replacing the rear until just recently. The slotted power stop slotted started wobbling too which was when I swapped the most recent ones I ordered from amazon. I tried putting on the slotted rotor on the rear but it made awful noise so I switch back to the oem and just put the new pads on.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,988 Posts
If you're interested in a big brake kit, look up forum member @Maxtierney. He has an awesome looking setup, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't run stock rims - I think they're Camaro rims. Of course, that doesn't mean it couldn't work with OEM wheels; it might.

Also, I second what @Ruthrj18 said. The Centric rotors and Akebono pads are a very popular combination because they seem to work very well. I'm of the opinion that the newer OEM rotors used on 2014+ Odysseys are pretty good but the OEM pads are not. There's no doubt that the mass of these vans can work the braking system very hard.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Dang, it’s easy to see how frustrating this is. I hate to suggest it but it looks like the new Max brakes you installed just aren’t up to the task of stopping that behemoth without doing something bad to the rotor. Any chance they are under warranty or the set can be returned? I’m not familiar with that brand and the price seems lower than competitors. I’m suspicious already that the quality might not be up to par especially for a minivan.

Thanks for chiming in Cro. I might have had it backwards (Honda rotors ok, Honda pads suck). I wouldn’t go to Honda to get this sorted out. You know how to install brakes so don’t pay them labor for it. They’ll install OEM pads and rotors that in all likelihood are going to be insufficient for you and you’re going to pay a ton for it. My 2017 Odyssey developed front pulsation after driving to and from NC from FL. Hills up there likely did it. They resurfaced the rotors and I’m good for now but I have no doubt it’ll happen again with hilly terrain.

Anyway, fixes. To keep yourself from feeling like your throwing your labor, parts and money at a never ending problem I’d try replacing the front pads and rotors one more time. Centric rotors and Akebono pads are said to be a good cure. I was going to install this combo on my Mazda, but I found Advance Auto had a fairly good deal on rotors. Their Carquest Platinum painted rotors were about the same price as Centrix after a 25% off coupon. The best part? They have a 2 year warranty. If you got pulsation AGAIN with these Carquest rotors, at least you’d be able to get them replaced within 2 years of purchase. Centrix isn’t bad either. I want to say those are a 90 day 3000 mile warranty on Rock Auto but I don’t believe warping would crop its ugly head in that timespan. Akebono pads were a great price so I stuck with that part of the plan and ordered those separate.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jumping in here with a similar brake issue. (let me know if I should start a new thread).

I have 2016 SE with 19K miles and during a long trip through the mountains I was getting pulsation while braking at moderate force. Nothing on light application or when I stomped on the brakes. Should I 1: Turn the Rotors, 2. scuff the rotors with scotch-bright with a angle grinder to remove uneven bedding or 3. Replace the pads and rotors.

Looking up Rotors on Rock auto. They have 2 different Centric front rotors. Economy CENTRIC 12140092 $28.00 And Daily driver CENTRIC 12040092 $53.00.
Just wondered which ones you guys had good experience with. They also have a kit with Centric pads and rotors, do that or go with the Akebono pads.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I’m sick of the horrible braking of this van. I am on a family vacation and we just drove from Kansas to Colorado then to Wyoming and through the steep hills our van still wobbles terribly when braking and I just about a month ago replaced the front rotors and pads. I am desperate at this point I either have to find a big brake kit for the van or bite the bullet and have Honda dry dock me. Are there any big brake kits that fit with oem rims? Either Honda should do a recall on the brake system or I’ve got a lemon.
If you're interested in a big brake kit, look up forum member @Maxtierney. He has an awesome looking setup, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't run stock rims - I think they're Camaro rims. Of course, that doesn't mean it couldn't work with OEM wheels; it might.

Also, I second what @Ruthrj18 said. The Centric rotors and Akebono pads are a very popular combination because they seem to work very well. I'm of the opinion that the newer OEM rotors used on 2014+ Odysseys are pretty good but the OEM pads are not. There's no doubt that the mass of these vans can work the braking system very hard.
THANKS for the shout out. Sorry for the late response. I just got back from a 5,000 mile trip across 14 States, in 5 days. That makes 37 states total in my 2016 SE. I'm running Rotora 6-Piston Calipers in front on 380mm Slotted Rotors and 4-Piston Calipers on 355 Slotted Rotors in thd rear. 36K miles of stopping bliss. You'll need at least a 19" wheel with a decent hub pad, in order for these to work. Hence, the Camaro wheels. Here's a pic of the Odyssey in St. Louis.

·
Registered
8 Posts
THANKS for the shout out. Sorry for the late response. I just got back from a 5,000 mile trip across 14 States, in 5 days. That makes 37 states total in my 2016 SE. I'm running Rotora 6-Piston Calipers in front on 380mm Slotted Rotors and 4-Piston Calipers on 355 Slotted Rotors in thd rear. 36K miles of stopping bliss. You'll need at least a 19" wheel with a decent hub pad, in order for these to work. Hence, the Camaro wheels. Here's a pic of the Odyssey in St. Louis.
View attachment 151864
Will these brakes Work with the Stock 19" Honda wheels on my wife's Elite? I warped her brakes going downhill on our ski trip to New Mexico. Honda resurfaced them after I griped enough...We are going on a trip this summer and I know it will happen again in the mountains. (we are going to Yellowstone on a 10 state trip.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I hope that you did a downshift (or 2) instead of just relying on the brake pedal to keep you speed!

Reactions: parmm

·
Registered
821 Posts
In the hills, travel a safe speed - brake with enough pressure where you're only applying constant pressure for 3 seconds, then release and apply again to bring you 5 mph below your safe speed. That way you don't overheat your brakes.

Also make sure when you rotate your tires that they don't over torque the lug nuts! And make sure that they use a torque wrench!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone know of an affordable performance brake option? I have been looking at PowerStop drilled and slotted rotors and RayBestos Hybrid (metallic/ceramic) pads. Anyone tried this option? That is around $350.

·
Registered
257 Posts

I know this is an older post... but '10 Pilot brakes (caliper/rotor/pads) will be a direct bolt on swap... it utilizes slightly bigger rotors... up from 320 to 330 diameter. I did this for my '08 Ridgeline (320 -->330) and there was a noticeable improvement. Towing, downhills, emergency stops, etc.

Besides that... other improvement to stock brakes would be Cryo treated rotors, semi-metallic (not ceramic) pads (Hawk HPS, EBC Yellow, etc), and a step further would be DOT 4 synthetic brake fluids (higher boiling point), and Stainless Steel braided brake lines (more firm pedal feel, especially compare to older rubber lines).

Another thing many people dont seem to consider is Tires. Tires are a HUGE part of the braking equation.
Even with the PIlot brake swaps, the ABS kicked in more, until using wider tires 245's for Ody, and 265 for Ridgeline. Then the brakes were able to put the newfound power to stop the car much better.

After the swaps on my Ody and Ridgeline, brakes were no longer an issue anymore, but an aspect of the drive I could appreciate.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Let's be more specific with the years of these Odys! This is a pretty general 'Problems' section. I upgraded my 1st generation with Acura Legend dual piston calipers. I think the referenced Pilot brakes fit the 3rd gen (and maybe later?), but not my 2nd gen! That's definitely a 4th gen sitting on the Camaro rims!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Let's be more specific with the years of these Odys! This is a pretty general 'Problems' section. I upgraded my 1st generation with Acura Legend dual piston calipers. I think the referenced Pilot brakes fit the 3rd gen (and maybe later?), but not my 2nd gen! That's definitely a 4th gen sitting on the Camaro rims!
Haha.. Yes, you're correct. Sorry, It slipped by me that this was a general section.
My comments regarding the Pilot brakes were in regard to the Ody's w/ 5x120 bolt patterns (Gen3+)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not for nothing but i expect to replace the brakes every 10-17k miles on my car especially with aftermarket parts. Unless you go to a brand name known for being of good quality that lasts rotors just don't period. With the amount of heat that is generated on them it has to be expected that warping is going to occur. I have a large pile of rotors in my driveway that is used to keep up a row of portable fence type things my wife put up to hide the mess as well as old car in the yard, these are held up with all the rotors I have changed out. On average about 18months i have gotten from them. I just replace everything why waste time taking this off and that off...replace it all once and be done. I do have to say that OEM honda rotors are much thicker than any aftermarket I have put on so far. No to say it is better but for resurface and reuse possibility it is much better. my .05 worth of talk.

06 Odyssey 187,000mMiles
06 Pilot 182,000 miles
15 Odyssey 40,000 miles
John

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just installed Raybestos performance front rotors and Raybestos rear rotors and Raybestos Hybrid pads on my wife’s 2018. I warped the rotors on our first mountain drive with less than 10,000 miles on the van. Hopefully this fixes the issue since we are taking it this summer to several mountains. They stop great, but have only been installed for a few days now.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Lost track of conversation, already commented above.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Another thing many people dont seem to consider is Tires. Tires are a HUGE part of the braking equation.
Even with the PIlot brake swaps, the ABS kicked in more, until using wider tires 245's for Ody, and 265 for Ridgeline. Then the brakes were able to put the newfound power to stop the car much better.
Truth.

Reminds me of an old track day adage that I heard many years ago.

If your ABS kicks in, you're under-tired.
If your ABS doesn't, you're under-braked.

I agree. Increasing your tire contact patch and/or improving your tire compound are two of the of the best things you can do for your car.

People love to get the tires with the lowest rolling resistance and/or highest longevity, however, which is terrible for braking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lost track of conversation, already commented above.
I have never had to in any car I have owned in the past 25 years. But I will definitely do this on our trip this summer. I made the mistake of assuming that it was cold outside and not needed for the small mountains and gentle switchbacks.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts