Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
My new to me 2015 with the 6 speed has a 4th gear switch on the side of the shifter. I have used it a couple of times just slowing quickly. Doing so only hoped the revs up to about 3,000 to 3,500. Nothing outrageous or overly jerky.
Less spacing between ratios is the reason (5 versus 6 gears).

Hoping to get more miles out of our 2002 EX, and we'll see how long the OEM rotors will last.

OF

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I'm a fan of that, too. Get into the slow lane on some place like the Grapevine (I-5) or Cajon Pass (I-15) in SoCal, slow down and shift down before driving over the crest.

Grade logic initiated with braking will shift down a gear ... but pulling the gear lever down in any Honda Odyssey (from 2002 to 2010) will cause the transmission to shift down two gears immediately, not just one. It gets your attention. I don't know what the 6-speeds and later 9 and 10-speeds do in this regard.

OF
I believe you meant that if you go from TC lockup in D and shift down to D3 you drop two gears and can it be very noticeable, both in abrupt deceleration jolt and increased rpm. When I use my method, the downshift is pretty smooth, overall. :D
But shifting from D3 to D2 only results going down one gear, I believe.
Hope you had a good weekend.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I believe you meant that if you go from TC lockup in D and shift down to D3 you drop two gears and can it be very noticeable, both in abrupt deceleration jolt and increased rpm. When I use my method, the downshift is pretty smooth, overall. :D
Yes, all of the above is what I meant! (y)(y)(y)

I do like the Buffalo4 method of achieving the nirvana of smooth downshifting.

Sir, my weekend was wonderfully restful!

OF

41 - 43 of 43 Posts