Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear the click when I try to open the vent windows and one does open partially but they don't both open and close fully.

Also, the sliding drivers door has started to not close by itself and just retract most of the time. If I push it, helping it, it will close. It's real "dry".

Is there a video on cleaning and lubing these doors?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
the motors for the vent windows go on these over time.

I changed both of mine with junkyard replacements, cut the harness out and tested them on a battery before paying.

the faster the motor moves the better.

or go new at 80 bux each.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I hear the click when I try to open the vent windows and one does open partially but they don't both open and close fully.

Also, the sliding drivers door has started to not close by itself and just retract most of the time. If I push it, helping it, it will close. It's real "dry".

Is there a video on cleaning and lubing these doors?

thanks.
There are quite a few writeups on that door problem. One of the main ones is the rollers in the door that slide in a track on the outside of the vehicle about midway down. Replacing those rollers is the solution if they are worn. and they usually are.
The rear window motors get weaker over time due to a 'thermistor' in the connector area of the motor. Quite a few people have bypassed that 'thermistor' by using a small 12 v bulb connected to both ends of that thermistor, thereby bypassing it.
There are writeups on it. The motors are usually very good. It is just that damn current limiting 'thermistor' ( at least I think that is what is is called). I believe it's purpose is to limit the amperage when the window is fully opened or fully closed or frozen so that the motor won't overheat or blow a fuse.
Do some research on those problems in this forum. Use the search function or do other searches online for the proper generation of ODY. Both fixes are cheap but involve quite some times in labor, esp the first time you do it.
The needed parts are very low cost if you improvise and don't use OEM parts.
Buffalo4
PS: Check the links below this post under the Recommended Reading header.
PPS: On my '03 , it the sun is beating down on one side, that rear window won't work because that damn thermistor is getting too hot from the sun. :eek:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
On Buffalo's Recommended Reading below for sliding doors- avoid the posts from the 2005-2010 section, those doors have a different design. Common issues there don't match the common issues here.
"Clean and lube"? My bet is your center rollers need replacing. Especially if they don't open/close smoothly when you move them manually.

Reactions: d0n

·
Registered
786 Posts
Agree. Follow Buffalo 4. On my 2001, I just, Keep the rear windows closed always. They never did do much "ventilation" IMHO.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought my van at the nearby Honda dealer, and neither vent window worked. The salesman promised, "I can help you with that." After I bought it, I went to him about the vents, and he just pointed me to their Parts Dept. Never trust a car salesman.

On the forum I learned that the driver's side vent motor is easier to access, so I only replaced one motor. One vent is helpful especially during spring and fall, when temps are cool, but not cold, providing fresh air.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My vents would work sometimes, I just went ahead and disconnected the switch to keep them from accidentally being opened.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This vent window motor problem was discussed here, but probably buried some where. Here is the summary of the procedure to fix the motor. I was able to fix both sides motors without buying a new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts