Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After searching Craigslist since January my persistence has paid off in a big way.
Person had a set of 18" Murano rims listed for $175 since Feb. Made an offer of $150 2 weeks ago (it couldn't hurt, they've been listed for 3 months) & she accepted.
2 Fridays ago a full set of 235/50/18's came up for sale (used & slightly mis-matched) for $40. Jumped on that one early because the same day I was quoted $280 for a set of used tires from a local used tire shop.
That same weekend after much reading & searching the OdyClub forums I jumped into modifying my headlights. I've never been a big fan of chrome & the only chrome on the van was inside the lights & the grille trim. So for under $10 (1 can of satin black paint) I baked the lights in the oven, took them apart then masked & painted the chrome. The next morning I baked them again to get the adhesive soft & put them back together. I also took off the grille, scuffed it with some 220 grit then 400 grit sandpaper and gave it a coat of satin black Krylon Fusion paint. I let it sit overnight before putting everything back together.
Last weekend I tinted the front windows 35% after buying a kit off E-Bay. The kit was laser cut to fit & double layer tint, so no purple fading.
This morning I headed up to the Auto Hobby Shop on base (active duty military) to take care of mounting & balancing the tires & wheels.
Total costs are:
wheels - $150
tires - $40
paint - $10
mounting & balancing tires - $46
window tint - $30
total = $276

On to the pictures.

Later this summer I'm going to tackle applying light smoke tint to the tail lights using a kit. They don't sell one pre-cut for the Odyssey, so I'm going to have to take the lights off & cut the film myself.

I'll probably put on the Yakima rack this weekend just for kicks.
-Todd

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bumps are a little more harsh since there isn't as much sidewall cushion, but I've always hated the style of the stock 16"s. I think the 235 tire being wider will make a difference. I'm probably going to order poly bushings for the sway bars & get some new end link bushings here soon. Then I should see a bigger difference.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I like the transformation and noticed you really like a lot of stickers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple weekends back I also took the old computer out of the office that I manage my I-Tunes with. Since we've moved on to laptops in the house I put it into the garage above the stereo.

I picked up an external Sound Blaster USB sound card that has multiple input/output options. USB from computer to Sound Blaster then RCA into the back of the receiver.

The receiver I picked up at a yard sale for $25, the tape deck was $5 from a pawn shop (I'm old & still have a few old mix-tapes lying around).
Instead of suffering through mind numbing commercials & having to switch channels whenever I hear Nickleback or Paramore, now I have 4500 songs to listen to commercial free.

Anyway, back to the van. I'm running a 4ga wire into the cabin to use for a 700watt power inverter.

As for the stickers, I surf quite a bit & had to do something (before the rims) to set my van apart from all the others. I joked with the wife last week about using shelf contact paper & covering the hood in wood paneling. I still haven't ruled it out so we'll see what happens the next time I get bored.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Murano rims look great. Although I'm guessing they still have the Nissan logo in the center caps. That would probably bother me to no end.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nicely done. I've been thinking about doing each of these mods.

Does upsizing the wheels affect the accuracy of your odometer/speedometer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You know, I hate to rain on a parade, but ... dude, it's a minivan.

Nice wheels, but it's lipstick on a pig if you ask me. And I have a 2004 Ody EX with the rear entertainment system. Nice ride. But it hauls butts, not ass.

·
Registered
632 Posts
In human Anatomy... Butts are muscular in nature while a** is an orifice but both are close to the perineum.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know, I hate to rain on a parade, but ... dude, it's a minivan.

Nice wheels, but it's lipstick on a pig if you ask me. And I have a 2004 Ody EX with the rear entertainment system. Nice ride. But it hauls butts, not ass.
I'm not driving the Odyssey because I want to, it just fits my needs right now with 2 kids. I looked at a number of other vehicles & the Odyssey is just the best 'bang for the buck'. I can carry all my surfboards inside instead of on the roof so I don't have to worry about them being stolen. Plus I've fit 8ft lumber inside & still been able to close the rear hatch. The hauling capabilities of the Odyssey are awesome. I use it like a truck. It's got the RES & we use it whenever we travel. I bought it 18 months ago & I've put 37,000 miles on it already.

When I want to drive something fun, I just pull the S2000 out of the garage.

I also have my project 'hot rod' seen in the garage picture above - my 1984 Volvo 240 turbo wagon. It's getting a 3" turbo back exhaust, new intake & exhaust manifolds, 25mm sway bars, Koni adjustable shocks, upper stress bar, adjustable panhard rear bar, poly bushings, .60 trim turbo, bigger intercooler, BMW M3 seats and more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not driving the Odyssey because I want to, it just fits my needs right now with 2 kids. I looked at a number of other vehicles & the Odyssey is just the best 'bang for the buck'. I can carry all my surfboards inside instead of on the roof so I don't have to worry about them being stolen. Plus I've fit 8ft lumber inside & still been able to close the rear hatch. The hauling capabilities of the Odyssey are awesome. I use it like a truck. It's got the RES & we use it whenever we travel. I bought it 18 months ago & I've put 37,000 miles on it already.

When I want to drive something fun, I just pull the S2000 out of the garage.

I also have my project 'hot rod' seen in the garage picture above - my 1984 Volvo 240 turbo wagon. It's getting a 3" turbo back exhaust, new intake & exhaust manifolds, 25mm sway bars, Koni adjustable shocks, upper stress bar, adjustable panhard rear bar, poly bushings, .60 trim turbo, bigger intercooler, BMW M3 seats and more.
Ok, good, looks like you're grounded.

Don't have to sell the Ody to me - this is my second one - we had an '01 LX, and now an '04 EX with RES. Love it - handles great, faster than hell for its size, fantastically convenient, etc. etc.

Just was flippin' some fun. Glad you've got some serious fun in the house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts