Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I have a 2002 Ody with 110k miles on it. I have a couple of problems that I would be grateful for ideas on.

First is surging a bit at idle and I have some ideas on that from reading the boards (power steering switch, EGR or IAC) and I will look those over in the next couple days.

My other problem is what sounds like air sucking or popping. It is definitely related to the idle of the van, seems to only be at idle. It's been doing this for a while and don't even remember when it started (probably about timing belt time). Wife drives it most of the time and I just noticed recently how loud it was. Maybe not so much an air sucking sound but kinda like that sound you can make when you pull your tongue away from the roof of your mouth.

I know this isn't a great description but any insight would be great.

The van has generally been great. New trans at 75 (warranty), TB at 100k. New brakes, shocks/struts a long while back. I haven't done hardly a thing to this and have had it since new.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
No idea, djm. Can't figure for the life of me what that sound would be.

OF

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Did it start with the throttle body change? Look up the threads on the TB gasket put in upside down.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Does the sound change when revved a bit? Speed up as the RPM's go up? The "tongue away from the roof of your mouth" sounds like maybe a belt rubbing...that's what my tongue sounds like assuming I do it a couple times :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No throttle body chage, it has never been off, unless the dealer removed during timing belt change. I will still check it.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
William Wiles said:
Did it start with the throttle body change? Look up the threads on the TB gasket put in upside down.
He may have had the timing belt changed?

OF

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to verify last night that the engine surging is coming from the power steering pressure switch. One wire is completely broken. I pulled it back a bit so at least it is not making intermittent contact and I will get it fixed on Saturday.

I will check the other components too in regards to idle, just to clean up.

Still no headway on the air sound. Yes, it does change speed with engine rpm.

Thanks for the replies so far

1 - 7 of 7 Posts