Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm a newbie, but have a question that I didn't see on any threads.

We have a 2001 ex and have been very pleased with it up until now. While driving home it started to shutter and then slip it gears. I said, oh boy the transmission is finally done after 103,000 miles. But, here's the kicker, we limped it home and I started to check the transmission oil thinking well maybe it's low, not even close it was way over the limit. uh, that's a little strange since we have not added any trany oil in a while.
So just for fun, I checked the engine oil, it's gone!. What! Like it never had oil in it! I checked for any leaks, drips and possible large holes, found nothing.

I filled it with 3 1/2 quarts started it up and ran for about 1/2 hour, it ran fine. No drop in oil volume whatsoever no knocking, rough idle. The only thing that would alert you to something is the "Check engine light is on".

So what the heck is going on here?

Any help would be good

thanks in advance

2182:confused:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Weird that it would disappear with no trace.

When was the last oil change done? Any chance that whoever did it didn't fill it completely and it just took awhile to burn enough to cause noticeable problems?

Any oil in the coolant? Open the radiator cap when engine is cold and see if it looks "oily."

Another "common" oil loss spot is at the oil filter. Sometimes when removing the old oil filter, the old rubber gasket stays on the filter bracket (part of the engine). When you put the second oil filter on there are now two rubber gaskets so the filter doesn't snug down properly and can back-off or leak later on. However, this usually leaves a pretty big mess so it doesn't sound like your problem.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I cannot see how one could get in the other so I would think it wasn't filled properly at some point. Make sure the tranny oil is checked per what the manual says. If you do not do it as stated then it will look off even if it's correct. I don't recall if you check the Ody in neutral with engine warmed in running or when cold so check the manual. What does the trans oil look & smell like?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info, the first thing I thought of was I didn't fill the oil all the way. But, I had a second party with me who told me, "yea you filled it up"

I'm starting to think it is burning oil slowly so we can't see the smoke. It's the only answer I can find. I keep looking.

thank you again for all the replies

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
forgot to mention I did check the radiator fluid, didn't find any oil in it. also did a check of the oil filter did not find any leakage.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
What color was the tranny fluid?
Who did the last engine oil change?
How overfull was the tranny? Hopefully you drained it out enough to get it down to the full mark and measured how much extra was in there. If he tranny oil is not fairly clear and pinkish and/or smells burnt, do a full change (4x drain, drive, refill).
Is it possible that someone put the engine oil in the transmission dipstick holder opening instead of the valve cover oil opening?
Something is very strange here.
If regular engine oil was mixed with the tranny oil, you have a major problem and should get the tranny serviced immediately.
Buffalo4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts