Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In late July, my wife experienced unexpected acceleration from our 2007 Odyssey EX-L while she was braking and turning into a parking space. The engine surged and threw her and our oldest onboard up over the curb of the median in front of the parking space and into a tree when the driver-side airbag deployed and finally shut-off the racing engine.

The dealer was unable to find any fault codes or anything mechanically wrong. I contacted Honda of N.A. and demanded they dispatch a regional field engineer to examine our car. After only a few hours of looking at it the engineer deemed our vehicle to be working as expected.

The lack of satisfaction and confidence in this not repeating prompted us to look at 2013 and 2014 Odyssey's to replace ours with, but I am glad I looked through NHTSA complaints. Apparently this even plagues the 2013.

This has apparently happened to at least twenty other people as evidenced by Complaints on the NHTSA's web site. I have searched model years 2007 through 2013 and found at least one complaint within each model year. Some years have a significant amount of them such as 2007 and 2008, but nonetheless even more recent model years are affected.

I am calling back our case manager at Honda N.A. Monday morning and demanding they address this. If this has ever happened to you, I hope you can file a case with Honda N.A. and a complaint with the NHTSA.

If you search on their site by Complaint ID (check the Complaints check box) and by pasting all of the following IDs I have identified (below) into the search field, you will see them.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchNHTSAID

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
We hear about these events and have to wonder which pedal was being pressed. We do hear about some folks who say they hit the wrong pedal and have to wonder if this is what happens in most cases. One wonders if the on board "black box", should one be present, would report which pedal was being pressed at the time of the accident.

This sort of thing is the reason I have long been an advocate of left-foot braking, which I have done for over 50 years. Especially as one gets older (which often seems to be a time of wrong- pedal problems), one is much less likely to go wrong, since each foot is dedicated to a separate pedal. A multi-tasking foot is far from ideal in a crisis on the road. Left-foot braking is also a boon to performance driving, facilitating easier brake- throttle balance on winding, demanding roads. Ideally, it should be taught from day one, before other habits are formed.

I am not saying your wife made the wrong move..........simply mulling.

Jerry O.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Like Jerry, I am not saying this is the case with your wife/incident, but the following news article is interesting. Unintended acceleration study blames older women drivers - NBC News.com At the end, note the number of reported incidents. Not a small number.

I am guessing there have been more than one or two incidents reported on most models sold in any volume.

Whether it is the result of the car, or driver error, it is scary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Gentlemen,

I understand that the common stereotype especially of a female or older driver is that they depressed the wrong peddle. I even thought of this and was still convinced that was what happened until I arrived at the scene and realized it was highly unlikely for the following reasons.

First some background. My wife is in her mid thirties and has been driving this van every day straight for the past six years of owning it. She also was a driver of manual transmission vehicles growing up, a very skilled sportswoman and probably one of the most intelligent women I know and I am not being biased.

I don't know if either of you have discovered that in recent weeks the NHTSA has launched an investigation into unexpected BRAKING of the 2007 and 2008 Ody models based on 22 complaints.

SUMMARY:
ODI has received 22 complaints alleging incidents of unexpected braking in model year 2007 and 2008 Honda Odyssey minivans. Some complaints allege that the vehicle suddenly applies the brakes by itself while the accelerator is being applied, causing the vehicle speed to drop by as much as 30 mph in a very brief amount of time. Five complaints reported that the repairing dealer found a trouble code indicating a problem with the steering angle sensor. Ten complaints report that the dealer was unable to find a trouble code or to diagnose the problem.

That investigation ID is: PE13024 with associated complaints/investigations (10515497, 10507515, 10507018, 10502592, 10497791, 10492387, 10489491, 10486603, 10484441, 10479967, 10472649, 10465329, 10448860, 10445526, 10424749, 10408559, 10405849, 10401245, 10370009, 10367094, 10362177, 10339272).

Here is a formal letter sent to Honda by ODI of the NHTSA on the investigation:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM441619/INIM-PE13024-57330.pdf

My wife's incident happened while she was performing a right-handed, fully-turned steering wheel, 180-degree "U-turn" into a parking spot. Could this be because of the same aforementioned steering angle sensor? She was slowing down with her foot already on the brake and right as she was about to LET UP on the brake as the vehicle was inches from the stop, the engine accelerated faster than the accelerator pedal even responds to one's foot on the Odyssey. For my own vehicle, I have driven BMW's for the past sixteen years and have been pretty disappointed with the *lag* in response (not the actual acceleration once it happens - which I think is actually pretty good) when I have had to 'floor' the accelerator in the Odyssey. She also was able to immediately place the vehicle into Park upon engine shutdown without moving her foot; as we know, you cannot place it into Park without your foot being on the brake pedal.

My wife was burnt on her forearm and around her collar by the airbag deployment.

All I was asking is for others which may have experienced this to report it so that Honda and the NHTSA so that if there truly is an issue with the VSA module or steering angle sensor or the communication between the two, that Honda is able to prevent this from happening to others. Thankfully, my wife hit a tree and not a pedestrian...

·
Registered
961 Posts
I was not questioning your incident. Certainly if any experience it they should report it. I do know there are many more reports than are real, but that does not negate real ones. With electronics and computers driving our cars, the risk is raised, certainly. I know of at least one model that truly did have electronic unintended acceleration and the mfr reluctantly agreed to an extended warranty.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
The present arsenal of "driver-assist" features (lane departure, blind spot detection, collision avoidance, intelligent cruise control, etc. etc.) are building toward self-driving cars. At present, these systems are in beta-test mode with us as the guinea pigs. It's hardly surprising that failures occur, like the one described above.

I plan on keeping my older Ody as long as possible so to keep full control over the car. When self-driving cars arrive, I will switch to a motorcycle. I will always be a driver, never just a motorist.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I am confused. Why would one be "letting up on the brake inches before the stop". Usually, one holds the brake until neutral can be selected and the parking brake applied, thus precluding an event of sudden acceleration.

It is also interesting that you mention a lag in throttle response. Our '06 has the most sensitive throttle tip-in I have ever experienced. That is one of the best features of the van, IMHO. I guess there could have been a change in later model years, possibly to do with emissions or fuel economy. A friend of ours had a Saturn which had a disgusting lag upon tip-in which turned out to be normal, as verified by driving other new ones.

I'm sure your wife is a very competent driver. As I mentioned, I was simply mulling the situation,but the husband or wife is always a suspect, Hee! Hee! (I guess I watch too much crime TV)

JerryO.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Sounds like someone looking for ammo for a lawsuit, because the driver couldn't have POSSIBLY done anything wrong, so therefore, it has to be a fault with the vehicle.
Hopefully, a thorough investigation will be done and the cause determined.
I guess Hydrogen hasn't had any other real problems with his Ody, since he has just now started posting.
Is Hydrogen just a lawyer doing his job, or really an irate husband concerned about his family?
Curious.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
961 Posts
Could be. The listed complaints for 2007 did not include one matching the description - I guess they have not filed a complaint, but are asking others to do so? Or maybe just failed to include the complaint number. One of the numbers is repeated in his list.

And putting the vehicle in park is not proof of her foot being on the brake at the time of acceleration, only that it was after the wreck. You hit a tree, lunge forward, airbags deploy and push you back, your legs probably lift up in recoil, and then your body moves forward again and THEN you apply the brake. Either instinctively, or the forces moving your body moved your foot.

I am always surprised at the number of people who "floor" the gas pedal in their vehicle. Doing that puts a ton of stress on the vehicle, for marginally little additional acceleration (and no lag) rather than smoothly but aggressively pushing the pedal to close to flooring. I have never once had to floor the gas pedal in a vehicle, except on a racetrack.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Ah, just found their complaint: 10533676

The others are generally under Power Train, Vehicle Speed Control. This is under Air Bags, Engine, Service Brakes. The side air bag apparently deployed but stayed within the seat belt pillar.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I totally believe it happened to you as I own a 2012 Honda Odyssey that had a sudden unintended acceleration which sent our Honda Odyssey into a store front. I actually have video evidence of the event showing my break lights on the whole time! I would love to talk to you as right now attorney's are poo pooing me and saying we need more numbers to get a lawsuit together. And this lawsuit begins with just two right? I am sure there are others out there who might be willing to join this. Please post below if you have had a sudden unintended acceleration with your Honda Odyssey. I have looked at those cases as a person in the accident industry led me to them. I cannot believe there is no class action lawsuit yet.

·
Registered
961 Posts
So which NHTSA complaint is yours, odymommy2012? Got a complaint number?

Class actions can be hard to get going. There is always an attorney who will take on the case on your nickel, however. If you have good proof, such as the data from the Event Data Recorder in the car (the black box), you could presumably fund a lawsuit on your particular situation.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
In late July, my wife experienced unexpected acceleration from our 2007 Odyssey EX-L while she was braking and turning into a parking space. The engine surged and threw her and our oldest onboard up over the curb of the median in front of the parking space and into a tree when the driver-side airbag deployed and finally shut-off the racing engine.

The dealer was unable to find any fault codes or anything mechanically wrong. I contacted Honda of N.A. and demanded they dispatch a regional field engineer to examine our car. After only a few hours of looking at it the engineer deemed our vehicle to be working as expected.

The lack of satisfaction and confidence in this not repeating prompted us to look at 2013 and 2014 Odyssey's to replace ours with, but I am glad I looked through NHTSA complaints. Apparently this even plagues the 2013.

This has apparently happened to at least twenty other people as evidenced by Complaints on the NHTSA's web site. I have searched model years 2007 through 2013 and found at least one complaint within each model year. Some years have a significant amount of them such as 2007 and 2008, but nonetheless even more recent model years are affected.

I am calling back our case manager at Honda N.A. Monday morning and demanding they address this. If this has ever happened to you, I hope you can file a case with Honda N.A. and a complaint with the NHTSA.

If you search on their site by Complaint ID (check the Complaints check box) and by pasting all of the following IDs I have identified (below) into the search field, you will see them.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchNHTSAID

These numbers are quite small, considering the fact that around 140,000 Odysseys were sold in each of those years. That is not to diminish the seriousness if, indeed, there was truly such an event. Jerry O.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't own an Odyssey, but have owned two Accords, a 1997 and a 2004 that both experienced the problem at between 150k and 180k on the odometer. The first was stopped and accellerated into the truck in front of me. I was driving. The honda was totalled becase both front airbags deployed. The second was braking for a stop sign and accellerated into and through the intersection. No one else was in the intersection or coming, thank goodness. Wife was driving that time. No way the foot was on the gas. Just no way in either case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello to the original poster of this thread and for those who have chimed in regarding the same issue. So to people that have had this issue what ever happened with your sudden acceleration issue? Did you get it fixed or sue or what? I have a 2008 EX (bought it new) and had this happen to me once where I was completely stopped at a traffic light wheels facing straight. When my van started moving forward I pressed as hard as I could on the brake and the engine RPMS were going above 5K I think and the van was still moving slowly forward even with me pressing as hard as I could on the brakes. I looked down to make sure my foot wasn't touching the gas pedal or that the pedal wasn't stuck down by something and neither was the case. I had to turn off the ignition to get it to stop. My van had 27K miles on it when this happened on 5/22/2010 Immediately after the first incident I took into the dealer and they couldn't replicate the problem but on 5/24/2010 they performed two recalls (one for soft brake pedal and one for transmission judder) and told me maybe that will help my sudden acceleration. I filed a complaint with NHTSA at safercar.gov NHTSA COMPLAINT NUMBERS on 5/22/2010. It's now 1/17/2016 and my van has 98K miles on it and I haven't had a sudden acceleration happen since then. I've had multiple recalls completed on this van but not totally sure that the sudden acceleration was ever really fixed and if there's a sudden acceleration accident just waiting to happen sometime with my van. Kind of scares me! Thank God my two events didn't end up in any accidents or hurting anyone!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also, I'm curious does anyone know how to conduct a proper search on NHTSA's website? I started browsing all the complaints but that will take forever! Coincidentally I noticed an unintended acceleration and hitting a brick wall that was noted in a complaint # 10734333 about airbags not inflating correctly so I'm not sure that complaint got counted as an unintended acceleration event or not?

Here's the text from the NHTSA SITE

Date Complaint Filed: 07/15/2015Date of Incident: 02/15/2015Component(s): AIR BAGS , VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10734333Consumer Location: PERRYSBURG, OH
All Products Associated with this Complaint expand
Details close
help 0 Available Documents
Crash:Yes Fire:No Number of Injuries:1 Number of Deaths:0
Manufacturer: Honda (American Honda Motor Co.)
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5FNRL38608B...
SUMMARY:
TL* THE CONTACT OWNED A 2008 HONDA ODYSSEY. WHILE DRIVING 5 MPH, THE VEHICLE UNINTENTIONALLY ACCELERATED AND CRASHED INTO A BRICK WALL. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE AIR BAGS DEPLOYED, BUT FAILED TO INFLATE PROPERLY CAUSING THE CONTACT TO SUSTAIN SERIOUS INJURIES THAT REQUIRED MEDICAL ATTENTION. A POLICE REPORT WAS NOT FILED. THE VEHICLE WAS DESTROYED. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOT MADE AWARE OF THE FAILURE. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 55,000.

2008 HONDA ODYSSEY | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Do you have WeatherTech floor mats on you Ody floor?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2007 Honda Odessey EXL. 3 times i have experienced sudden engine acceleration while braking. In each case i was going less then 5 mph,. and stopping. My foot was on the brake pedel. As i pressed the brake to stop the engine accelerated and tried to go forward. I mashed down harder on the brake, and held the van stopped. One time i threw it into neutral. It happened twice about a month apart 7 or 8 months ago, and once 1-2 months ago. I did take it to the dealer and he could find nothing. I think it should be possible to instrument the van to tell what is going on. This is slow enough the danger is not great unless something changes, but my wife now refuses to drive the van. It has only happened when I have been driving. As I said my foot was on the brake each of the times it happened. Seems Honda should instrument to figure this out. It may never happen again, but if the last time it happened was the strongest increase in engine rpm. Not a pleasant experience

1 - 20 of 23 Posts