Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am the owner of an '03 Ody EXL with 138k miles. Have been fairly happy with the car until a week ago when it popped up with TCS and Check Engine light. There were no other symptoms. Not running rough, engine racing,etc. TCS went off but MIL didn't. Dealer reset and said it was code 0740. They said since there were not symptoms, keep driving and if MIL came back on it was transmission. Drove for two days with no lights. Then I went on the highway and got up over 55 and the lights came on again. Same exact thing. TCS and MIL, then the TCS went off next restart. Took it back to dealer and they said nothing they could do except replace transmission for $5k to $6k. I have spent days looking at boards and forums, etc. Now I just don't know what to do. I do not want the dealer new honda transmission offer. Car is not worth that much! But I would like to keep it a little longer.

So do I plan to take it to a transmission shop. Do I try to get it diagnosed and repaired? Do I have them drain and replace ATF? If so what kind? Add a cooler? What kind? Add an inline filter? What kind? Or do I have the transmission replaced with a remanufactured one? What kind? Are there differences between '01, '02 and '03? Would you follow a specific scenario for an '03 as opposed to the other years?

Don't know which direction to go. Spoke with the guy at a recommended transmission shop and he said he would have to spend a day hooking it up and diagnosing it. Said he could tell more than just a code. But what if he wants to repair something and a month or two down the road I am just back in the same place. Then I would have spent the repair money and have to dump a bunch more for a replacement. Just don't want to spend good money after bad! I need a crystal ball :)

Any suggestions?? Opinions?? I value any help anyone can offer. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks New Dad. That's kind of what I was thinking. Troubleshooting and patching would probably be a waste of time and money. And still end up replacing it in the end.

Do I still need to get the cooler and inline filter put in with a new trans?

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts