1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
158 Posts
I got one at Target (or Walmart or Kmart) for $14.99. The one I got is a 2-piece super jumbo wire type, which you can fold to make it small for storage. It works really well. One side is silver to reflect the sun. Other side is black. I overlap these 2 pieces to cover the entire dash. Since the wire frames are highly flexible, they will go into small area easily. Oh, it's made by Axius by the way.

------------------
'01 Silver EX
Totally Newbie now, but learning quick.

·
Registered
84 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TAllen:
We have roll up style ones that are custom fit for the Odyssey for $18.60:
http://www.HandA-Accessories.com

-Trevor
</font>
Hi Trevor,
I saw this neat set up on an Ody at a parking lot. It was a two-piece white accordion like set up. Each side was snuggly attached to the columns on each side of the windshield all the time. When you want to utilize it, you just "accordian" both sides to the middle where they hook-up. It was a perfect fit, alwaays ready & easy to use, ...and always ready & easy to "accordian" out of the way. The best set-up I've ever seen. No getting, unrolling, shoving up behind the mirror, making sure you are right side up & out, putting down the sunvisors to hold it up like the conventional sunshade, ...just pull them out from both pillars and push in the hook.

Anyway, I parked next to this guy who was waiting for his wife who was shopping, while he was reading behind his "accordian" shade. He demonstrated it, and said he got it installed at a Honda dealer in AZ., and couldn't remember what they were called, or the brand. He said the local Ford dealer has them also, but I can't be seen going into a Ford dealer (I do have some pride!) LOL. Anyway, they are a _lot_ better, so.... I think you could sell the heck out of them if you were to carry them, and I bet you could move a bunch right off in a group deal here (hint, hint) (smile)

It reminded me of the LaGreat pictures of the back & side curtains from Japan that someone posted, that same whitish "accordian" feel. I want one!! ...don't make me go to the Ford dealer, Aaaaargh!!

Best Regards,
Skybolt

PS. Attn. Ford Lovers, my apologies (& sympathies) (Grin)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi,
The last dealer I worked at (a Ford dealer as well as Honda) had a similar style that they sold and although I'm sure there are more than one brand of them out there they had a lot of problems with the shades and the company. The ones they had tended to break after about half a year and although they had a 'lifetime warranty' the company insisted that the broken ones be sent back for repair rather than just replaced.
Long story short (too late for that I guess) I haven't come across one that I'd be comfortable selling and standing behind.

-Trevor

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While looking around, I found a foldup style
model at BJ's Warehouse in different sizes - one had a pic of a Grand Caravan on the carton and was designated "JUMBO" :0) for $12 bucks - it fits pretty well. When folded, it closes with a nice velcro strap. The rollup custom models I have seen seem to sag when heated. The foldup ones are a bit more rigid on account of the accordian folds.
We'll test it all summer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got lucky and found a jumbo sun shade (listed to fit the Odyssey) at Sams club for $2.00. Must have been last years model, it works great.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been to Anchorage so I know why they can only get $2. for a sunshade.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You should be here this year. Nothing but blue skies and sunshine. Seriously it has been hot and dusty here. 70 to 75 just about every day in June, we could use some rain.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Saw one fold up type Axius Jumbo @ Pep boys for 9.99

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard,
Wheel Lock
Cargo Tray,
Weathertech Mats Ordered
leather steerling wheel cover
Lojack

·
Registered
84 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ksnook:
Drop by www.dashguard.com. I think the Eclipse sunshade is the best on the market</font>
Bingo! I think that's like the one I saw. What's your personal experience with it, how long you had it, ease of install, etc.? Thanks!

Best Regards,
Skybolt

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have the covercraft shade you originally refered to. Yes, it's pricey. I've had mine for a couple of years, but recollect I paid $40 from Covercraft direct -- probably $45 or so with shipping. www.covercraft.com

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ksnook:
Drop by www.dashguard.com. I think the Eclipse sunshade is the best on the market</font>
ksnook,
Do you have the Eclipse sunshade ? If so, how thick is it when folded up ? Does it bother your vision towards the pillar ?
thanks,

------------------
-Rob-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)
http://www.fototime.com/inv/46E6936F1F9A447

·
Registered
478 Posts
The UVS100 shade from Covercraft is excellent! I have had one for 4 different vehicles now and would not do without here in sunny (hot) So. Cal. Only drawback is they're a little bulky, but they go up quick and they are insulated so they really block the heat. If you are careful with them, they will last at least 4-5 years or so.
The Eclipse shade is a neat idea too, I would want to see one in person though...

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had two BMWs (1994 and 1998) that had the exact same windshield and thus sunshade and transferred my UVS100 from one to the other; got six years out of the shade and it was good for a few more years. Good buy, IMHO!

·
Registered
30 Posts
SAM's FOOD has an Axius Jumbo for $9.98. I'm using it and it works fine.

------------------
01SSLXPR
Mud Guards-Kenwood Speakers-Cargo Tray-VTEC Emblem

·
Registered
564 Posts
With the retractable shades, is anybody else worried about increasing the A-pillar blind-spot? I like the convenience, but the last thing I want to do is make those pillars fatter.

- Darell

------------------
Ordered:
2002 EXL-NAV. White/fern

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hachiroku & others interested: I purchased two Eclipse sunshades http://www.dashguard.com. about a week ago, one for our ’90 4Runner and one for our soon to arrive ’02 Odyssey. The shade attaches to the inside of the windshield glass via two (one each side, total of four) self-adhesive mounting plates. The mounting plates are permanently attached, while the shade is easily removed and replaced, if you need to. Folded, the shade adds about 1” to the driver side A pillar and about 1/4-1/2” to the passenger side (due to the angle). I noticed the newly installed shades for a little while, but quickly forgot about them. Even my wife, who detests gadgetry and stick on things in cars, likes these shades (whew!). They were each (23” 4Runner & 29” Odyssey) about $35, plus $7 SH for the two.

The nice thing about these shades is how convenient and easy they are to use. I’ve tried wire hoops, fold ups, roll ups, etc., but none as easy to use and live with (so far) as these. The Eclipse self retracts via spring-loaded reels that clip onto the mounting plates and a heavy-duty monofilament (read: fishing line) that is threaded through the accordion body of the shade. Pull it closed with the center tabs till the Velcro middle touches ... pull it apart and it retracts into place till next time. It has a shiny side that faces the glass, but is made of a thin (so it can fold up so narrowly) durable material that doesn’t look like it can provide the insulating properties of some of the other shades discussed here. Guessing most of the heat in your car is caused by the greenhouse effect, this window level barrier works well, provides enough shade (duh!) to keep the dash and wheel from getting hot, but may not give as much absolute protection or temperature reduction as the thick, fold up models. Assuming they’ll hold up for a few years then I’m very pleased with them.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
’90 4Runner – great, but inadequate for a family of 5
’86 Civic – bye, bye my little old friend
’02 GG Odyssey EX-L-RES w/all the fixings – hello, my new best friend

tnuckels

·
Registered
564 Posts
Tnuckels -

Thanks for the great review. Now I'm more interested than ever...

- Darell

------------------
Ordered:
2002 EXL-NAV. White/fern

1 - 20 of 25 Posts