Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... So I cleaned all the solonoids, added a trans cooler, in-line filter, amsoil and lubeguard red.
Sometimes doesn't shift up from 2nd to 3rd until RPMs hit about 5k-6k.
It does this once or twice a day.
Code P07040 I think. Incorrect pressure or something.
At what point do I ad Transmedic by Gunk? It swells everything up so it shifts better, leaks less and slips less.
This morn I am taking a 100 mile trip.
Thanks for your sage advice in advance

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
chris, I think you've done all you can to save the patient.

I've used TransMedic (in small quantities) to stop annoying little output shaft and shift lever input control shaft leaks on bigger American trannies...but I just don't know about using it on something as "non-robust" as a 99-04 Odyssey tranny. I'd not want to be that guinea pig, nor tell you to do the same.

Again, I've used it on older, robust U.S.-built A/T's. However, TransMedic applied to a Honda A/T like the one in our 99-04 Ody's is like a cardiac unit cracking someone's chest and doing direct manual squeezing of the heart to circulate blood on a coding patient.

As well, the AmSOil ATF has excellent detergent qualities. The LG Red is an excellent lubrication high-temp heat range booster (that portion of it is almost entirely made of long-chain esters says the company...and in my lab experience, from a thermal perspective, these actually hold together as well or better than other unsaturated heavy hydrocarbons). I'd say give it a chance.

Also, the delay in the 2-3 upshift sounds like a shift solenoid that is not working when it is supposed to.

Any thoughts from anybody else?

OF

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It probably won't hurt, but it probably won't help much, either. I'd wager if it helped much, we would have already found out about it, and lots of Transmedic would be on the shelves at Honda. I'm sure Honda would rather drop $10 on some transmedic than pay 25-100% of trans replacements, and their customers would probably agree.

You probably have a sticky third gear clutchy thing. Its controlled by shift solenoid C, but as I stated in an earlier post, there's also a sensor for if pressure has built properly, so I imagine that the PCM would notice that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts