Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one experiencing rusted sunroof? In the front corners. 2011 Odyssey EX-L 109,000 miles. Front corners of sunroof frame rusted. Nothing on the roof body is rusted. Have not had any leaking issues and the drains work fine. I replaced it with a salvage one from a 2014 from parts dismantler online. I ts the same part number 2011-2017 Odyssey (Part No.:70200-TK8-A02) so you would think part would be availbale for a three years old 2017 model year.
IMG_3244.jpeg
IMG_3240.jpeg
IMG_3242.jpeg
However, I had no choice but to find a salvage part because the part is currently unavailable and on back order from dealers. I tried 15 different dealers all over the country with same result. None of them had any idea how long the part would take to get from back order. Dealer retail was about $585 plus tax. Some online dealer parts prices less but then shipping costs to add. In any case, I have no rust anywhere else except there. Is this a common issue?
Weird that if you have a 2017 Odyssey and need a sunroof (either because damaged, shattered, rusted), a three year old vehicle, that you can't get a part for it. Is there a run on that part? I was able to get a very nce condition one for less than $300 including shipping.
Picks of the rusted corners of mine here. After I reoved it and peeled back the seal further I discovered the rust was far worse. The metal frame that the glass is bonded to was disentagrating under the seal with rust. There were also flakes of rust in the drain area of the sunroof that had fallen off the frame. Luckiy they did not get into the drain tubes. Vacuumed it all out, then used some trimmer string from my weed wacker and fished it down the front drain tubes as far as I could. Then poured water down them to make sure they were clear. The sunroof is super easy to remove and replace. There are four T-25 bolts that secure it. There is some room for adjustment so it seals correctly and is level. So take your time putting it back in. Do not torque down on those bolts to hard. If you strip them out, yout life will get very complicated. Took lots of trial and error adjusting and oepening closing sunroof to check fitment and no binding. Have some minor adjustements still to do. There is a black plastic trim cover that hides those bolts, one on each side, but you just pull them off to access the bolts. It helps to put the sunroof with the back popped up position in order to access bolts. Recommend having an extra pair of hands to remove.
Also the seal is never 100% leak proof. But there are drip catch channels built in to the sunroof frame that channel water to the four drains, two in front that you can see, and two in the back that you can't see becasue they are way back on the frame which is hidden by headliner. The two in the front corners can be seen using flashlight and standing between front seat with your head up through the sunroof opening. It takes some searching but they are there. Drain tubes connect to those and run down behind the side pillars where they eventually exit at bottom behind front fenders.

IMG_3244.jpeg
IMG_3240.jpeg
IMG_3242.jpeg

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Any one experiencing rusted sunroof?

You are not alone. Here is a suggestion for hopefully preventing further rusting.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are not alone. Here is a suggestion for hopefully preventing further rusting.

Thank you, thank you. I searched for something related to my issue and could not find. Thanks for that post link. I am wondering why not more posts on this now. One of the posters, Ticket, indicated that the rust is because of the water pooling up on top of glass. I think he's right. I think the water is seeping under the seal on top and wicking to the metal frame. I think I am going to start there with this replacement sun roof and see what products (waxes, silicone, or whatever) I can put on top that will prevent water from seeping between seal and glass and getting to the metal frame. And hopefully it will last unitl I sell it. Thanks again

·
Registered
406 Posts
Haven't noticed it on ours BUT it is a difficult area to inspect. Nonetheless, I certainly will inspect ours forthwith. Thanks for posting - this is the first i have heard of it. Need to check my Sportage too. I had been thinking about treating the rubber gaskets on both of them anyway so that will be the time to check for rust.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You got me to run out to the garage!

A trace on the edge of the right side is it for now. It is on a 2012 that saw 5 salty midwest winters.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Any one experiencing rusted sunroof? In the front corners. 2011 Odyssey EX-L 109,000 miles. Front corners of sunroof frame rusted. Nothing on the roof body is rusted. Have not had any leaking issues and the drains work fine. I replaced it with a salvage one from a 2014 from parts dismantler online. I ts the same part number 2011-2017 Odyssey (Part No.:70200-TK8-A02) so you would think part would be availbale for a three years old 2017 model year. View attachment 157730 View attachment 157732 View attachment 157734 However, I had no choice but to find a salvage part because the part is currently unavailable and on back order from dealers. I tried 15 different dealers all over the country with same result. None of them had any idea how long the part would take to get from back order. Dealer retail was about $585 plus tax. Some online dealer parts prices less but then shipping costs to add. In any case, I have no rust anywhere else except there. Is this a common issue?
Weird that if you have a 2017 Odyssey and need a sunroof (either because damaged, shattered, rusted), a three year old vehicle, that you can't get a part for it. Is there a run on that part? I was able to get a very nce condition one for less than $300 including shipping.
Picks of the rusted corners of mine here. After I reoved it and peeled back the seal further I discovered the rust was far worse. The metal frame that the glass is bonded to was disentagrating under the seal with rust. There were also flakes of rust in the drain area of the sunroof that had fallen off the frame. Luckiy they did not get into the drain tubes. Vacuumed it all out, then used some trimmer string from my weed wacker and fished it down the front drain tubes as far as I could. Then poured water down them to make sure they were clear. The sunroof is super easy to remove and replace. There are four T-25 bolts that secure it. There is some room for adjustment so it seals correctly and is level. So take your time putting it back in. Do not torque down on those bolts to hard. If you strip them out, yout life will get very complicated. Took lots of trial and error adjusting and oepening closing sunroof to check fitment and no binding. Have some minor adjustements still to do. There is a black plastic trim cover that hides those bolts, one on each side, but you just pull them off to access the bolts. It helps to put the sunroof with the back popped up position in order to access bolts. Recommend having an extra pair of hands to remove.
Also the seal is never 100% leak proof. But there are drip catch channels built in to the sunroof frame that channel water to the four drains, two in front that you can see, and two in the back that you can't see becasue they are way back on the frame which is hidden by headliner. The two in the front corners can be seen using flashlight and standing between front seat with your head up through the sunroof opening. It takes some searching but they are there. Drain tubes connect to those and run down behind the side pillars where they eventually exit at bottom behind front fenders.

View attachment 157730 View attachment 157732 View attachment 157734
I'm curious as to where you guys with sunroof rust are located. Wondering if it's a salt thing where spray gets into the opening and never gets washed out.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts