Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Silver Odyssey EX-L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already scanned all the threads. I've googled. I've YouTubed. I do not see my problem addressed.

2008 EX-L Odyssey, muzzled, 162K, owned 8 months.

Normal sunroof operation until 2 weeks ago. Started vehicle, began to drive. Went to flip the sunroof open, and nothing. So, decided to slide the roof open. Only an inch because it was drizzling. Slid open and stopped when I released the switch. Decided to try to close it and try flipping it open (thinking it might of been between positions). Does not close. Tried repeatedly to press the close and flip switches. I can hear the relays, but no action. Opened the sunroof a little further, no problem. Can't close it. And now it's open further.

Got home, looked up how to manually close the sunroof. Done. Repeatedly tried to open and close. Only slides open, no flip. If I close the roof manually to the flip position, and press close, it will drop and come up and seat. But will not flip open.

Went and got a cheap used motor and just finished installing it. DID NOT WORK. Same symptoms.

Also tried the reset procedure. Turning the vehicle on while holding the flip switch, releasing and turning off the vehicle 5 times. Then sliding the roof open, and holding 3 seconds past it stopping. Still won't close.

So..... what am I missing?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2008 Silver Odyssey EX-L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I will go forth with this information now. Will report back within an hour.

·
Registered
2008 Silver Odyssey EX-L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since it opens but not closes, I say try test/replace Moonroof Close relay.

If the relay is ok, then test the moonroof switch.
THANK YOU!!!!

Turns out it was the close relay. It was getting power, and I could hear a click, but the contacts must be tarnished. I switched the 2 relay positions, and now it's fully functional! I also rapped both relays on the counter in case something was stuck.

Perhaps a tarnished internal contact? Maybe the relay pins themselves? Just in case, going to get me 2 new relays to have on hand. Maybe these will last forever? Maybe just a week? But now I know it's the relay.

THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Glad it is fixed. Thank YOU for coming back and giving us updates of the issues getting fixed as that is IMHO more valuable information than just stating problems and us proposing solutions.

·
Registered
2008 Silver Odyssey EX-L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I concur. People can learn from others when they report back. What worked, what didn't. What to expect. I browse the threads on a regular basis just to see what common issues are and how to prepare or prevent them.

Thank you again!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I concur. People can learn from others when they report back. What worked, what didn't. What to expect. I browse the threads on a regular basis just to see what common issues are and how to prepare or prevent them.

Thank you again!
Were the relays easy to get to?

Do you happen to have picture as to what they look like and what procedure you took to "swap"/replace them?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2008 Silver Odyssey EX-L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Using a flashlight, stuck my head under the dash. Looked up and saw 2 relays side by side. Guessed these were the 2, and blindly reached up and pulled them out. Tapped them, shook them. Since they are sealed, can't inspect them. Swapped the positions, and tried the sunroof. Fully worked at that point. So, thinking the closing relay had corroded and just needed to be re-seated. Since they were identical, no harm in swapping them.

Now I have a spare motor on hand for the sunroof. Will also have a spare relay on hand shortly.

Here's a pic of one of them. Mitsuba RC-5102 12V relay.

·
Registered
2008 Silver Odyssey EX-L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There should be a manual crank to get it closed.
There is, but not sure what year it started with, they no longer provide an access hole or tool to crank it closed. I had to remove the rear entertainment system, the 2 vents and lights for the 2nd row, and bend the headliner down to access it.

Should I continue to have an issue, I'll make a small hole and try to line it up with the motor, so I don't have to go thru all that. Then, find a plug for the headliner so it doesn't look like crud.

·
Registered
496 Posts
There is, but not sure what year it started with, they no longer provide an access hole or tool to crank it closed. I had to remove the rear entertainment system, the 2 vents and lights for the 2nd row, and bend the headliner down to access it.

Should I continue to have an issue, I'll make a small hole and try to line it up with the motor, so I don't have to go thru all that. Then, find a plug for the headliner so it doesn't look like crud.
Looks like 2007+ model got rid of the hole as owner's manual no longer mentions it. I wonder why they got rid of it though.

I say, make a hole, just buy part #3 from '06 (match interior color) and plug it (or grab one from a junk yard but looks like only 05/06 model would have it):

My 2006 manual shows that there is a hole for it:

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,691 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Silver Odyssey EX-L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Quick update. Swapping the relay positions didn't accomplish much. Sunroof worked 1 or 2 times, then was stuck open again. Already had new relays on order, so just a matter of waiting.

I've quickly learned that if I can flip open the roof, it will close from there, since it's actually in the opening process. But, once it goes from fully closed and dips down to retract, will not close.

Got the 2 new relays today, installed them both and ran the roof thru a couple cycles. I should be able to trust it, but not sure at the moment. Again, if it flips open, it will flip closed. That's all I really use it for.

One thing for sure, going to make that hole and get a hold of a allen key to have on had for future needs. So I don't have to take half the roof apart anymore.

Thank you to those that actually read the entire conversation and were able to contribute to my solution. And as a couple others mentioned, they were surprised with relays being involved and how it fully works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts