Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I have an 05 exl and during the winter I put winters on my alloy wheels. well we are far into spring so the winters need to move. But I was thinking of getting a new set of wheels for the summer and put all seasons on those. So far I am having a bit of a problem looking for wheels for the odyssey. I found out that I need to find wheels that have 5-120 bolt patters...and thats it. So what else do I need to find out about the wheels to find if it will fit on the odyssy?

I was also thinking about going to bigger wheels like 17-18 inches but would that decrease my fuel economy (very important!). and what are low profile tires? is it tires that are kind of slim? so if I get bigger wheels would I need to get low profile tires? ughh too many things I don't know.....

Thanks

·
Registered
613 Posts
Its a big topic to research but use search and you'll find answer to these questions. I went with a MDX sport wheel, 18" and lower profile tires to make the overall diameter the same for power/economy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did exactly what you're asking.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/15-wheels-tires-suspension/148831-06-ex-l-moda-md11.html

I run dedicated winter tires on my factory rims and 18" 'low profile' tires.

The low down is that yes, you need to run 'low profile' tires if you want to keep the same size diameter wheel (so your speedometer remains accurate). Basically it's this simple: as the rim size gets bigger the side wall of your tire has to get smaller to maintain the same circumference. As the side wall gets smaller you move to 'low profile' tires.

If you're worried about fuel economy then you need to consider the weight of the rim/tire combination, not the size of the wheel (though it is generally a safe assumption that bigger rims are heavier). Weight was an important consideration for me when I chose my rims.

I've been extremely happy with my choice of rims and tires. Go to www.tirerack, enter your vehicle, select some rims and tires... pick what you like based on price, weight, size, and of course looks.

One last wrinkle, the ones I picked are for a 2007+ Acura MDX... these have the same requirements as our Odyssey for rims (not sure why Tire Rack doesn't show them for the Odysesy... I consulted with the Tire Rack experts and confirmed the fit before I ordered.) This was a quick reply so if there are assumptions I'm making or I just plain missed stuff... sorry... but I wanted to help get you on the right track.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was looking at tire rack but I didn't understand how you would pick the low profile tires, or are you automatically directed to getting low profile tires when you get a bigger rim for your car? how is your fuel economy anyway, higher/lower/same?

oya I was wondering what the minimum offset and backspacing required for our van?

thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
What's important is the overall diameter of the tire. You want to keep that about the same to not effect the gearing, speedometer, or fuel economy.

Here's what you want to do. Read the tire size off of the side of your 235/65 R17 or something along those lines. You may see other letter, but they're not important for this.

235 is the tread width in millimeters
65 is the aspect ratio (tread width x aspect ratio/100 = sidewall height in millimeters)
17 is the wheel diameter

to find the overall diameter add the sidewall height x 2 + wheel diameter
so for our example
our sidewall height is 235 * 65/100 = 152.75mm / 25.4 mm/in = 6.014 in
overall diameter = 17 + 2*6.014 = 29.028 in

There are a few other things that go into it, like load rating etc, but this is a decent start to what size tire you need.
more details can be found at the tire rack
Tire Tech Information - Tire Size Guide

OR

Tire Rack allows you to select larger than stock/factory sized (diameter) wheels. Then just choose tires to go along with it as a package. They should be about the right size.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can tell you that if you pick 18" rims then 235/55/18 is the tire size you need for a 2005 Odyssey. If you've picked an 05 Odyssey from Tire Rack then, yes, the website should properly select the rim/tire size combination for you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
oya... I haven't really noticed a change in fuel economy (keep in mind I choose as light a rim and tire as I could reasonably afford) and as for the offset and backspacing... that I don't know a lot about but from what I understand, these numbers can change depending on how the rim is designed. There isn't one right answer, that's why I recommended Tire Rack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts