Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing some light surging while in park. Not enough to really notice unless you are listening for it. No codes or check engine light.

No driveablility issues.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
That is a common problem and can be the result of a broken wire at the power-steering connector. It is located in the right front wheel-well area and needs to be repaired to stop the surging in idle. Search (black button top right) on "power steering switch" for more info...

Also could be a faulty Idle Air Control Valve and this can throw a CEL P1129 but not always.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That is a common problem and can be the result of a broken wire at the power-steering connector. It is located in the right front wheel-well area and needs to be repaired to stop the surging in idle. Search (black button top right) on "power steering switch" for more info...

Also could be a faulty Idle Air Control Valve and this can throw a CEL P1129 but not always.
Bingo, broken wire at the power-steering connector. Local independent Honda shop located it right away. They had a spare off an old wiring harness, wired it in, and an hour of labor later I was out the door.

The way the owner explained it was that very common due to the fact the the factory did not leave enough slack in the line. When they did the repair he left a few inches of slack. My transmission is original, but he said it is also very common to have them come in because the customer had a shop replace their transmission that were not practiced with dealing with the steering rack in the 2nd gen Odyssey.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure if this is the same type problem. 2001 Odyssey, 170k mi. Engine started a low level surging in park. I hear a gentle click (hood open and ear near the front of the engine), the idle speed drops and then returns to normal. Maybe a second later, the same thing happens again and repeats. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
2001 Odyssey Idle Surging

Additional info...When I turn the steering wheel slightly, the surging goes away. If it were a broken wire in the power steering connector, how would that be affected by turning the wheel? Also, the engine has to be warmed up for the surging to occur. A broken connector wire does not make sense here.

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
...A broken connector wire does not make sense here.
It may not make sense to you, but in most cases (i.e., nearly all cases) a broken wire at the power steering connector is the culprit for your symptoms. The PCM uses a number of sensor feeds to manage engine speed, and this power steering sensor (and its really short wire that can break) mentioned by NDNV also works with information from the HVAC system (among other things). The PCM evaluates the inputs (it's only "on/off logic" for these) and adjusts fuel delivery.

OF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts