Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Select the US Climate Zone you are from and response to Transmission Failure or not.

• Zone 1 - Failure

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Zone 1 - No Failure

• Zone 2 - Failure

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Zone 2 - No Failure

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • Zone 3 - Failure

• Zone 3 - No Failure

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • Zone 4 - Failure

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Zone 4 - No Failure

Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Zone 5 - Failure

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Zone 5 - No Failure

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
williamhaas said:
What else is interesting with zone 1 and 5 is the low response, which could mean a good percentage of the vans are in the junk yard now and the failure rate is even higher than our statistics listed indicate.

Not so fast on that one. Just because the response is low is not a reason to think they have failed. Right?
Some people have no reason to come to forums like this with no issues. Most new posters will post about a tranny issue on their first visit. Unless it is just a fluke with the ones I have noticed.
Just my opinion..:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Not so fast on that one. Just because the response is low is not a reason to think they have failed. Right?
Some people have no reason to come to forums like this with no issues. Most new posters will post about a tranny issue on their first visit. Unless it is just a fluke with the ones I have noticed.
Just my opinion..

Odycopuple - The percentage of people at this site primarily for transmission failure may inflate the statistics for failures. However, it is interesting that we can see that zone 1 and zone 5 have higher stats of failure.

·
Registered
618 Posts
williamhaas said:
Just my opinion..

Odycopuple - The percentage of people at this site primarily for transmission failure may inflate the statistics for failures. However, it is interesting that we can see that zone 1 and zone 5 have higher stats of failure.
We are still only getting reports from the forum members....in those zones. Which are from here, which are maybe because of a reason....? Maybe like a failure? But it is still good to see the differ, and to exchange thoughts:D

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
williamhaas said:
...Failure percentage by climate zone
Zone 1 - 40%
Zone 2 - 33%
Zone 3 - 22%
Zone 4 - 30%
Zone 5 - 66%
Over all Failure including all 5 zones 33% .... What else is interesting with zone 1 and 5 is the low response, which could mean a good percentage of the vans are in the junk yard now and the failure rate is even higher than our statistics listed indicate.

Thanks to those of you that responded.
I abbreviated this for obvious reasons, but this is not a proper application of statistics.

All we know is that 33% of respondants to this survey reported problems. That's it. It's a very small survey sample, too, given the number of vehicles sold.

By these numbers, one of my 3 Odys should have had an A/T problem. Hasn't happened yet (the new owner of my 2001 EX still keeps in touch).

OF

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
herrhaus

I tried to updated the incorrect spelling of transmission, but it does not appear to take effect to the original post.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
You can't do it. Regular members can't delete threads or rename threads after posted.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well,

The stats still show interesting results from the 50 people that responded. Zone 1 and Zone 5 still have the highest percentage of failures with their zone of 42% and 60% respectively. Zone 3 still has the lowest percentage of failures within its zone of 20%.

Zone Count % % within Zone
Zone 1 - Failure 3 6.00% 42.9%
Zone 1 - No Failure 4 8.00% 57.1%
Zone 2 - Failure 5 10.00% 33.3%
Zone 2 - No Failure 10 20.00% 66.7%
Zone 3 - Failure 2 4.00% 20.0%
Zone 3 - No Failure 8 16.00% 80.0%
Zone 4 - Failure 5 10.00% 38.5%
Zone 4 - No Failure 8 16.00% 61.5%
Zone 5 - Failure 3 6.00% 60.0%
Zone 5 - No Failure 2 4.00% 40.0%

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I'm on the cusp of Zone 1/2. I put down 2 (no failure).

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
williamhaas said:
Well,

The stats still show interesting results from the 50 people that responded. Zone 1 and Zone 5 still have the highest percentage of failures with their zone of 42% and 60% respectively. Zone 3 still has the lowest percentage of failures within its zone of 20%.

Zone Count % % within Zone
Zone 1 - Failure 3 6.00% 42.9%
Zone 1 - No Failure 4 8.00% 57.1%
Zone 2 - Failure 5 10.00% 33.3%
Zone 2 - No Failure 10 20.00% 66.7%
Zone 3 - Failure 2 4.00% 20.0%
Zone 3 - No Failure 8 16.00% 80.0%
Zone 4 - Failure 5 10.00% 38.5%
Zone 4 - No Failure 8 16.00% 61.5%
Zone 5 - Failure 3 6.00% 60.0%
Zone 5 - No Failure 2 4.00% 40.0%
It also might be that the zones with lower numbers are areas that we have less members living in that area.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I added a No Failure vote for zone 5.

My 1999 EX has 216500 miles on the original transmission. I have been draining/refilling the transmission every 10,000 to 15,000 miles since 60,000 miles. The fluid would develop a tan color, so I would drain / refill.

At 150,000 miles I did a 3 times drain and refill with Valvoline Maxlife. Since I still had some Honda fluid, I have mixed 1 or 2 quarts of the Honda fluid in with the Maxlife rather than throw the fluid away. Since using the Maxlife, the fluid maintains the red color between changes.

We live near Dallas, there are few hills. The majority of driving locally is suburban 40-45 mph with a stop light every mile. Both drivers are easy on the van and come to a full stop when shifting from R to D (or D to R).

We take several highway trips a year averaging 22,000 miles / year on the van.

·
Registered
618 Posts
rushing1,glad you posted your specs. That stop and go is a killer. I always thought that style of driving is the worst. With drivers that do not abuse, and even in that heat climate...you are still over 200k!
:D

·
Registered
524 Posts
there are few hills. The majority of driving locally is suburban 40-45 mph with a stop light every mile. Both drivers are easy on the van and come to a full stop when shifting from R to D (or D to R).

We take several highway trips a year averaging 22,000 miles / year on the van
That kind of routine is far from the worst urban driving pattern. Not the killer some other drivers have. Not uncommon to have stop lights every block in some cities. The owner has no choice but to let the transmission shift, wear and heat up if they live where stop lights are every block. Unless they run in 1st gear all the time. I bought mine new and changed with Z1 about every 10,000 miles before my 5 speed AT failed near 70K miles.

Mine was failing at just about the time yours was getting more frequent ATF changes. Hope you stay lucky.

·
Super Moderator
13,542 Posts
herrhaus said:
DVP: Is it possible to correct the spelling error in the title of the thread?
Missed this post. Done now.

Forgot to ask the OP. Is it alright for me to vote in here for my 2001 Accord which has the same engine and tranny? :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Today I rode in the 2000 LX that I have mentioned before in other threads. It was purchased used (from a Honda dealer in Altoona PA) in 2001 with ~30,000 miles on it. ATF was changed once at about 105,000 miles (by dealer). No auxillary ATF cooler. Now has ~212,000 miles on the clock. Original transmission.

Altoona is in Zone 2.

·
Registered
255 Posts
just got back from the quicky oil change place (you are all cringing, right?) Well, I've had the 12 quarts of Amsoil tranny fluid sitting in the garage since last summer. This thread has convinced me (since the higher percentage of failures occur in the more extreme climates) more than ever that synthetic tranny fluid is going to help at least a little. My last change was a flush done by the honda dealer @ 45K, did the drain + fill @ 30K all with Honda Z1. I'm @ 66K now; the quickie oil change place just did the 3.5 qt. drain + fill with Amsoil (he only charged me 15 bucks!) and I asked to see the drain plug. Some sludge, but no big metal shavings like some others have shown. I hope to do another drain + fill to get the percentage of Amsoil higher at my next oil change on my 2002.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Just one drain and fill?

Edit: While you were editing your post....I was asking my question....Anyway, how long until your next oil change?

·
Registered
255 Posts
herrhaus said:
Just one drain and fill?
today? yes.

Edit: While you were editing your post....I was asking my question....Anyway, how long until your next oil change?
next oil change is 1K away. I was debating driving around and coming back for another drain + fill of the transmission today, but the guy probably wouldn't charge me 15 bucks the second time ;)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Why wouldn't he. The proceedure is more simple than changing oil. He ought to charge you less than that.

1K mile intervals will not hurt anything. However, if it were me, I think if I was changing from dino based ATF to fully synthetic ATF, I'd want to just go ahead and get it changed over. Again, with that said, I still don't think it will hurt anything. They are compatable.

·
Registered
255 Posts
herrhaus said:
Why wouldn't he. The proceedure is more simple than changing oil. He ought to charge you less than that.
The price for a transmission oil change is $59.99, since I provided the oil, it was $15. That means he's charging $45 for the oil. Even Z1 isn't $11.00 a quart. I'd rather pay him $15 than do it myself.

1K mile intervals will not hurt anything. However, if it were me, I think if I was changing from dino based ATF to fully synthetic ATF, I'd want to just go ahead and get it changed over. Again, with that said, I still don't think it will hurt anything. They are compatable.
I hear ya. Even if I change it again, I'm still at 75% amsoil. Most of the folks here like to do 3X. That would get me to 87.5%, but even that is below Amsoil's recommended 90+%. The way I look at it, is I now have Synthetic blend in my tranny and that may be good enough.

It's perfectly pink & clean with just the 1X drain & fill. I'll have the 75% well before the hot days of summer are here and that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
My Taurus tranny is drinking amsoil ATF. Runs great. Shifts are nice and crisp.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts