Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Select the US Climate Zone you are from and response to Transmission Failure or not.

• Zone 1 - Failure

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Zone 1 - No Failure

• Zone 2 - Failure

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Zone 2 - No Failure

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • Zone 3 - Failure

• Zone 3 - No Failure

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • Zone 4 - Failure

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Zone 4 - No Failure

Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Zone 5 - Failure

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Zone 5 - No Failure

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
herrhaus said:
My Taurus tranny is drinking amsoil ATF. Runs great. Shifts are nice and crisp.
I take it you did the 3X drain & fill?

I have the amsoil synchromesh in my accord - I notice a difference, but the honda stuff was pretty good too.

I'm not one of those 100% synthetic advocates. A proper engine/tranny design should work fine with dino and correct change intervals. I do use mobil 1 in my cars, but only because I change the oil every 7.5K miles in the Ody and whenever the maintenance minder comes on in the accord. If I knew I would change the oil every 5K, I'd be fine with dino.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
On the ODY, I did the full 4X drain and fill with Z1 (it went 60+K miles and was starting to smell burnt). It's probably getting time again for a refresh 1x drain and fill. I run the Amsoil engine oil for the 25K mile change interval (which I'm not sure is really ok to do). I'll be taking a sample when I change the engine oil in June and send to Blackstone to see if Amsoil is full of BS or not.

On the Taurus, it's all synthetic. Again, for the same reasons (drain intervals).

I agree with you. People get really concerned about "micron" levels. I'll tell you what, these things we drive are machines and are not calibrated to that level.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
It is amazing how the stats changed this week, with zone 4 popping up as the second highest failure zone. Amazingly, zone 3 significantly has less failures at 18.1%. I would assume that as our mileage increase on these older Odyssey vans, so will the number of failures.

Zone 1 - Failure 5 7.58%
Zone 1 - No Failure 6 9.09%
45.4% Failure Zone 1
-------------------------------------
Zone 2 - Failure 5 7.58%
Zone 2 - No Failure 12 18.18%
29.4% Failure Zone 2
---------------------------------------
Zone 3 - Failure 2 3.03%
Zone 3 - No Failure 9 13.64%
18.1% Failure Zone 3
-----------------------------------------
Zone 4 - Failure 8 12.12%
Zone 4 - No Failure 10 15.15%
44.4% Failure Zone 4
------------------------------------------
Zone 5 - Failure 3 4.55%
Zone 5 - No Failure 6 9.09%
33.3% Failure Zone 5

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thought I would post a note to try and get more participants. If you have not done so already, please take some time out to respond to the survey.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I live in zone two. Use valvoline max life fluid. 105000 miles on original tranny. Do single drain and fills once a year. First one was at 43000 miles. Changed tranny filter at 64000.

·
Registered
618 Posts
williamhaas said:
I would assume that as our mileage increase on these older Odyssey vans, so will the number of failures.

As long as people come here, when their tranny fails. That wont be counting the people that just get in and drive their van, Dont care about knowing anything. Turn key and go. Never think about it. Or never go to car forums. Could be. That is the only problem. We are still looking for owners to report. And people like to share bad news. Just like the media..........

Just like people too. The older we get , the more of us die...:(

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
williamhaas said:
...I would assume that as our mileage increase on these older Odyssey vans, so will the number of failures.
Okay.....it's a noble attempt at gathering data, but heavily flawed. I tend to agree w/ odcouple.

OF

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
my_dogs_ody said:
I know of at least 4 owners who's trannies have failed, but have never thought of, or wanted to come to a message board.
So it's flawed in both directions, in addition to a small data sample, and we don't know if one side is farther off kilter than the other.

I believe the 36% failure rate reported here is low. Collecting data on this isn't easy...but all you really need to do is listen to Honda, who stated the problem was an epidemic..1.2millions units (not all odys, but all odys with this transmission were effected.).
I read that, too...Edmunds? Can't recall the page, but I do recall it said the 1.2M units was for that tranny type, i.e., across-the-board, or everything that uses this tranny, regardless of model or gear-set (chosen ratios). 36% is low? I doubt the BYBA case coded trannies are even close to that. That would make it about the same as a Chrysler 41TE tranny.

...but it's important to hear both sides - at very least someone coming to this board looking for purchasing advice is going to be aware of what could be an "issue"...and having that knowledge before you buy is really what makes this board a great place;) [/B]
Agreed.

OF

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Just curious...since data sampling used to be my chosen profession (laboratory, physical organic chemistry)...how did we get 36% failure for the fleet? I still don't buy it. And at what mileage range does this wonderfully exact (ahem) number occur?

Just seen too much trash science (e.g., Al Gore) and too many bad numbers (e.g., like those grabbed and used by politicians) and bad stat processes (like the one in this thread) to even consider these numbers any more than a curiosity.

However, my wife did burn the hell out of our tranny (the ATF) at about the 55k mileage mark (towing a couple thousand pounds, slam shifting and spinning tires in deep mud with the trailer jack-knifed against the bumper to try and turn around on a frontage road).

She didn't tell me, so I didn't have a chance to drain the fluid. We drove it in this condition for 1,000+ miles...towing that trailer. Couldn't believe the color (is black a color?) of the ATF when I did a drain and refill.

I gave it about a 99.785% chance of failing by 61,282.5 miles. It's still going. Over 80,000 miles on the odo meow.

So, meow I give it a 99.993% chance of failing by 90,114.3 miles, while pulling our boat up into the mountains.

OF

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Exactly. It's a poll, and not a far-reaching one at that.

We get Consumer Reports. Which issue was this 86% number? I provide sources when called on it. I'd like to see one for that. Sounds like an AlGoreIthm.

OF

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Can't say I'm beliveing it's a CR number. No way the Ody could continuously make the "Recommended" list on CR year after year with numbers like that.

Not doubting you've read it somewhere, but that somewhere probably wasn't CR. It does sound like something CD (Consumers' Digest) would spring up, though. They never, ever reveal how they come up with their conclusions as to what are "CD best buy" vehicles. They'll rave over a vehicle on one page, and on the next page is a full-page ad for the same vehicle. I doubt CD's objectivity, and their means of gathering data.

As well, numbers like that 86% don't tell a good story without other numbers, like a range of total miles. Statistics are not too useful without proper context. As well, how do they count "failures"? A solenoid operated valve starts working intermittently...but it's expeditiously repairable. Is that a "failure"? I'm sure you understand the picture.

OF

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,542 Posts
my_dogs_ody said:
I have a feeling the 09's and 10's will have the most bullet proof drivelines the company has ever produced.
:confused:

Doesn't 07 - 09 have the same Ridgeline tranny? So, what's different between 07 - 08 and 09 - 10 to make their (09 - 10)trannies bulletproof? I would think it'd be 07 - 10 and not just 09 - 10.

·
Super Moderator
13,542 Posts
Moved to the Poll forum to be fair to the other two folks whose polls were moved to the poll forum the other day.

:)

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
my_dogs_ody said:
Just my observations - and it's very possible my #'s are high because people tend to sell vans with bad trans more than people who don't have trans issues.
Bingo.

OF

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
FYI. The co-worker I sold my 2001 Ody to now has 210k miles on it. Same original transmission!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Update, the coworker I sold my 2001 Ody needed a transmission replacement at 234k miles. Lasted a long time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don't jinx me! My '02 has 232k on the original trans. Zone 1. Dealer maintained til I bought it at 153k. I thought I was treating it right, but shops I took it to only did 1x drain and fill. That changed once I found this website, about 210k; about 7x drain and fill over several months got it looking pinkish with just a touch of gray when wiping the dipstick on a white paper towel.

Considering adding the cooler and magnifine now, as well as picking up a blown trans cheap and rebuilding it with the help of a local chapter of the Ody club. Parts are cheap. I think Ody is the most common make on the road here. There SHOULD be interest, lol.

I do drive it sensibly though.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts