Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I have a honda odyssey 2010 last year, but i still not enjoy driving it until now because when i hit the pothole or small pump, my body with lean to the pothole and come back, so i have rocking feeling just like in the bow! But when i see this video

• they show that the body should be stay still because the strut will handle the pot hole!I replace the sway bar links and sway bar bushings but still not help, the strut when i look is no leak or damage, just have rubber cover tear,
  • i read about bad strut ! They mention that i will hear crooked sound or have much more bouncing when go over the pump or pothole! Is there any other part i should concern? Or the bad struts can give you stiff feeling too?
  • Please help me, thanh you for your time

·
Registered
2005 Honda Odyssey... for towing, camping, & fetching parts for the German cars. :-/
49 Posts
Struts combine a spring and a damper (shock absorber). If the damper isn't functioning properly, you will feel rocked around. You can check the dampers by shaking the car. Here, watch 10-30 seconds of this video.

Struts are pretty easy to replace on these vans, too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Belmont , thank you for your video!
- yeah i did the test and see that the shock real strong not bouncy wwhen i push down, no clunking noise when go over pump or pothole, in fact i thought my shock problem is not soft, i felt that it was too stiff, so i dont feel much flexible when on the pothole

·
Registered
102 Posts
Are you finding that you are fighting against the ODY when on turning? Do you feel like your van is driving like a boat?

If so, then you should change the shocks/struts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What you mean fight with ody on turning? When hit pot hole, the car and my body rock lightly From side to side, not whole lot so i am not sure if every van will be like that or not? (Like in the video, i see that the guy just sit straight up when car goes pass the pothole, the strut is only part moving to handle that)! I just dont want to spend 700 ,800 dollars and nothing change! Because when i test the bouncing, it fine! And the shock not leak too

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Check that the sway bar is attached to the body. Has this van been put on a lift to check the front end? You've got to do this, otherwise, you're wasting your time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How can i check @marvinstockman ? Can you show me? I lifted and check but i dont see anything, (or maybe i just dont know where to look)! I replaced sway bar links and sway bar bushings, so i dont know where to do next, i just afraid to spend almost a thousand for the front struts and turn out no different! How do you feel with your odyssey when go over pothole, is your body sway a little bit, car lean to the pot hole a little bit like mine?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I steer away from potholes . If your steering wheel shakes badly going over bumps or potholes then struts may be bad and have to be changed. Struts don't have to leak or look bad old to be defective. Look at Detroit axle on eBay they have a set of front ready struts and rear shocks I checked part number and it comes back as Monroe brand . The price is 230.00 I just ordered my set . My struts are rusty have maybe 197k on them steering wheel when I do not bumps shakes a little bit . All other parts are new on front end . So gonna swap them out .

·
Registered
74 Posts
You could always go for a ride in someone else's van or newer and see.. although I wouldn't want you hitting a pothole with my car :) I feel that when the suspension is old and tired it will "rock" more.. but one rebound is about all you get with fresh suspension. I too changed mine with a cheaper entire spring setup on my last change and it was very cheap ($250 USD ish). The time before I had used KYB and kept the stock springs. That lasted about 2 years and the springs cracked so I just went full replacement. My Odyssey has a little over 200K miles and sees a lot of salt for winter in my area. If you think your van is too stiff, then I'm not sure what you are expecting to feel.. bad suspension floats and bounces, never is too hard unless it's really broken. You might also have very low profile/incorrect tires or even have them over inflated if it feels too hard.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My tire inflare at 34 psi! Is it too much? I dont feel bouncing , i just feel like the car the all the impact from small pump on road or when i go over the pot hole (not intend to do), my car will lean a littl to the hole and come back, so i have a little rocking feeling! Is that normal? Because as in the video i posted! I saw the man just stay still while the car hit the pot hole because the strut handled it!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
34 psi is fine. I usually keep mine at 32-34 psi, it is very temperature dependent.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think what you're saying is normal and the bump or sway you are seeing on the video is speed dependent. The video is depicting hitting a bump at a high speed so the car does not "rock" into the hole, vs when you're going over it with the van you're probably slow enough for the van to actually "fall" into the pothole and sway which is normal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think what you're saying is normal and the bump or sway you are seeing on the video is speed dependent. The video is depicting hitting a bump at a high speed so the car does not "rock" into the hole, vs when you're going over it with the van you're probably slow enough for the van to actually "fall" into the pothole and sway which is normal.
Thanks, you probably make me feel better! Because when i drive car i dont feel that much sway. so with the speed 60 or 70, it still can sway if the road uneven because it too heavy right? I usually annoy when driving on highway the most

1 - 15 of 15 Posts