Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, yet another VCM post sorry. I’m ready to muzzle our family van. I have came to conclusion between SVCM controller or VCMTuner II .Which one do you recommend ?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
They're pretty much the same as far as suppressing VCM activity is concerned. The one really meaningful thing that separates the two is the accelerometer in the VCMTuner II that allows the device to recognize when the van is being warmed up in place for repair or maintenance work and turn itself off. The S-VCM controller needs to be actively turned off, whether by its power button (if you choose the custom option) or by pulling out its inline fuse. The standard S-VCM controller (at USD 95) is $25 cheaper than the VCMTuner II (at USD 120). The S-VCM Custom is USD 125. All of these prices are correct according to the respective websites as of the time I'm writing.

Really, you can pick either one and not make a mistake - they're both that good. The VCMTuner II allows you to truly forget it is there. The S-VCM requires you to remember that once every 5-10 years. I have the standard S-VCM controller in our van and don't consider the accelerometer feature to be worth an extra 25 bucks. But if you're willing to spring for it, it is definitely nice to have.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I went with the VCMTunerII for the forget-ability factor. This was after being a VCM muzzler sceptic for 62K miles. I had forgotten how smooth a Honda V6 drivetrain can be. I love the change and the MPG change has been may 1 MPG. Anyone that is still on the fence about muzzling, just do it you will enjoy the improved drivability feel.

·
Registered
164 Posts
S-VCM Custom here, there's a write-up I did with pictures and all here; search around and you can find it. It was a much more involved installation process than a normal VCMT2 or SVCM, but ultimately I glad I went this route as with a push of a button I can turn the ECO back on (for maintenance). That being said it's a couple minute job to remove/install a Muzzle so you could easily pull one out before taking the van in for maintenance...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will SVCM disengage when operating temperature goes up? And restore real operating temperature so the car won’t overheat.My concern is overheating without showing correct temperature from the gauge.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Will SVCM disengage when operating temperature goes up? And restore real operating temperature so the car won’t overheat.My concern is overheating without showing correct temperature from the gauge.
Yes, S-VCM will automatically disengage if it senses the engine coolant temperature reaches a dangerous level (around 207-210°F). VCMTuner II does the same thing. Neither S-VCM nor VCMTuner II actually interfere with functioning of the cooling system - they just allow the van to raise hell as it normally would if an overheat is imminent. Regardless of which one you choose, if your van actually overheats (which isn't actually very likely - the Odyssey has a very capable cooling system) you will see that coming in real time on the coolant gauge, along with the other warnings that would happen if VCM weren't disabled.

·
Registered
713 Posts
What about the original VCM Muzzler II? Is this not available anymore?
Still listed on Ebay. But it says for the "Honda Acura Vehicle" in the heading description.
But it goes on to say for the Odyssey in the main description.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
What about the original VCM Muzzler II? Is this not available anymore?
Yes, as far as I know it is still available and it's still an awesome choice.

The S-VCM controller and VCMTuner II are the current state of the art in VCM disable devices, but they're not the only good choices. Not by a long shot.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Ok thanks, where's the best place to buy either of those from Canada?
Directly from their manufacturers' websites is the best way to go regardless of your location. The S-VCM controller is made in Canada and the VCMTuner II is made in the US. Google whichever one you want and they will come right up.

If you want a VCMuzzler II or a MaxMuzzler, then the best buying method is to DM either @verbatim (for a VCMuzzler II) or @maxud (for a Max Muzzler) right here at Odyclub. They are both active forum members and extremely knowledgeable and helpful. And if you reach out to them from here, it's cheaper because you can avoid paying eBay's fees that way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Directly from their manufacturers' websites is the best way to go regardless of your location. The S-VCM controller is made in Canada and the VCMTuner II is made in the US. Google whichever one you want and they will come right up.

If you want a VCMuzzler II or a MaxMuzzler, then the best buying method is to DM either @verbatim (for a VCMuzzler II) or @maxud (for a Max Muzzler) right here at Odyclub. They are both active forum members and extremely knowledgeable and helpful. And if you reach out to them from here, it's cheaper because you can avoid paying eBay's fees that way.
Thanks CroMath!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts