Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in MD where temps are in 90s in summer. I use 120 ohm resistance in VCMuzzler II. Even with 120 ohms if I sit in traffic for 5 minutes and start moving at low speed ECO light comes on briefly- happened a few days ago. I can actually almost predict this as temp on dash will move up a tick to pretty much where it used to be without VCMuzzler. Now let's look at the OBD numbers (below) with 120 ohms (SVCM website) - when the actual coolant temp is 270F, it'd only be read as 201F and based on that I can say needle should move only a tick as 201F is pretty much normal coolant temp. So my question is - is this single tick has a temperature variation of 60-70F? Based on this it seems like you would never see signs of overheating on dash which I do not think is true.

Product Font Material property Parallel Magenta

Source: S-VCM Controller - Disable VCM / deactivate VCM and stop ECO in Honda Acura

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the point of the original post is to discuss whether you'll be able to detect a cooling system malfunction in time if you are running a resistor-based VCM muzzler. The marketing material from S-VCM suggests that you won't.
Yes exactly! As they do not provide any source or data for this table so I have my own doubts about their claim. However, I'd like to hear or read more about this issue if someone has spent some time on it. If the temperature gauge on dash is not linear then this becomes even more tricky.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry I should have been clearer in my OP. I am not worried about ECO light or overheating.

I just want to understand IF the numbers reported on the website are true as well as how the higher temps would appear on your dash. I remember there was a user who reported on the VCMuzzler thread that he had his odyssey overheated and he never saw a thing on the dash (not blaming VCMuzler for anything) but then there was another user who was blaming VCMuzzler for overheating but also reported that his needle was up. I just want to understand how it works mainly the actual/Muzzled temps vs dash - again not worried about anything and not going to change VCMuzzler to SVCM or VCMTuner or anything like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts