Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 2002 RRP EX a few weeks ago and have been bothered by some swirl pattern scratches in the clearcoat on the lower half of the rear hatch (the metal below the lights). It looks like someone took a circular buffer to that area only and used too hard of a pad. It is only noticeable in direct sunlight but it is bugging me.

I took the van in to the dealer and they tried 'a special wax' to remove the scratches but they are still there. I have also noticed what appears to be a few tiny bumps in the paint in the same area. Could they have attempted to buff out these bumps? Looks as if a few specks of dirt were left on the metal prior to painting.

Has anyone else noticed this on their van or have any idea why they may have done this? It is really bugging me because I really like my van but did not pay 27K for scratches in the clearcoat. Arrgh!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi oldschool,

The van might have sustained paint damage from delivery or it might have come that way from the factory and in the dealer's infinite wisdom decided to buff them out to it less noticeable and be showroom ready.

Hope you can get them to fix it.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will take it back to the dealer tomorrow and report back on what they say. Though the problems may be related, I think there are 2 separate issues: the tiny bumps in the paint and the swirl scratches in the clearcoat. Since only the lower hatch was affected, you are probably right in that they tried (poorly) to eliminate the bumps with a hard buffer pad. However, since this car had 60 mi on it when we received it (another customer backed out at the last minute, allowing us to get a RRP a month early) it is possible that the first potential owner was responsible. I may have a fight on my hands...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't know the answer as to why, but I have the same swirl mark in the middle sliding door on the passenger side. Only noticeable in direct sunlight on the Redrock.

Have not brought it to the dealer's attention yet.

thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts