Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on another thread that the Z1 is discontinued. If I switch over to aftermarket (Z1 compatible), should I do the 3-4x change with the new fluid, or will 1x be okay? I've got a "new to me" 2008 with 28K miles on it, so this will be my first (and probably the van's first) attempt at a fluid change.

This is also probably a dumb question, but do I fill through the dipstick tube? I can't figure that out from other threads. I found one picutre of a refill plug on an older model, but I don't see anything like that on my '08. I've got a B123 service code, and took care of it all (except balancing) myself. Would like to do the ATF myself too if it's not too much of a pain.

Third... Is it really necessary to change the brake fluid every 3 years? I've never changed brake fluid outside of a brake job before.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can fill though the dipstick. It's easier to fill through the refill plug with a long funnel. The plug is down low kinda below the brake fluid reservour.

I'd do a full flush - a 4x drain & fill. If you don't want to use Honda ATF, I've been very happy with Valvoline MaxLife in my Ridgeline. I'll probably use it in my '08 Ody when it's time for another flush.

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
Did you miss both the DIYs? Both the tranny ATF flush and brake DIYs are posted by cnn. Check them out. Your questions have been discussed quite at length before.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mr. dvpatel, I'm not trying to be rude, but if you spent as time time answering questions as you did telling people to search, you would probably save yourself a lot of headaches. You want people to search. I get it. It's plastered all over this board. Of course I searched, which led me to the questions about my fill plug (I could not locate it, even WITH the pictures previously posted), the necessity of a full tranny flush (my question was unique in that I was switching fluid, and there is a LOT of differing opinions on the subject regardless of fluid type), and the NECESSITY of of a brake flush. Almost every post I came across had your post telling people to search. Well, you know what, the search engine on this board is not as great as you think. Type in ATF change and see how may hits you get. Every post with ATF or change in it pulls up. I spent the better part of a Saturday afternoon reading all the threads with no help to any of my original questions. Then there's the near impossible task of matching up search results with your relevant model year in the non-specific-generational boards.

I swear I hate message boards.... We're here to learn. If all teachers said in school was "look it up", it wouldn't be a very pleasant learning environment, would it??

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
Well, as they say, to each their own. If you really did spend all of Saturday, you would have seen several of my posts saying how to search (use AND between search terms). Also, the whole do I use the fill hole or the dip stick hole comes up weekly on here. Many folks do NOT open up new threads they just post in one of the existing threads on the subject so folks like you who come along later can get fewer results. There are several threads on switching to Amsoil or Valvoline but you had to have seen all those as well right?

CNN posted a great DIY on how to switch out the fluid and you claim to have read it but are still asking basic questions (which are already addressed in that very thread) so what is one to assume? That you just missed those threads. Try to see it from other people's shoes before claiming on not trying to be rude.

As to your example of the teacher. Did the teacher teach the topic once and field questions or was your whole class allowed to ask the same question one by one every day?

·
Registered
286 Posts
jwowen77 said:
I saw on another thread that the Z1 is discontinued. If I switch over to aftermarket (Z1 compatible), should I do the 3-4x change with the new fluid, or will 1x be okay? I've got a "new to me" 2008 with 28K miles on it, so this will be my first (and probably the van's first) attempt at a fluid change.

This is also probably a dumb question, but do I fill through the dipstick tube? I can't figure that out from other threads. I found one picutre of a refill plug on an older model, but I don't see anything like that on my '08. I've got a B123 service code, and took care of it all (except balancing) myself. Would like to do the ATF myself too if it's not too much of a pain.

Third... Is it really necessary to change the brake fluid every 3 years? I've never changed brake fluid outside of a brake job before.

Thanks.
1) If you want to get 99% of the old ATF out, the do the 4 drain/flush. Otherwise, just do 1 drain/flush with 4 Qts of DW1 ATF.
I don't see any issue mixing DW1 with Z1. You can ask the dealer.

2) I didn't bother to loosen the ATF fill plug.
I poured the new ATF via the small dipstick tube.
I put one end of a small hose over the outside of the dipstick tube and inserted a funnel into the other end hose.

3) The owner's manual page 416 says:
"Independent of the maintenance messages in the information display,
replace the brake fluid every 3 years".
I believe it had something to do with water in the fluid affecting the ABS, but I am not sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks txn. Yeah, that line in the manual is what made me think. I've never seen a brake fluid change recommended in an owners manual before.

dvpatel, sorry, I'll try to do better next time. My concern was with mixing brands, not the effectivness of multiple refills or which brand is better. I did finally find your "no brainer" answer posted in Sept 2008.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Re: Re: Switching ATF on a 2008 and brake fluid

txn said:
***snip*** 3) The owner's manual page 416 says:
"Independent of the maintenance messages in the information display,
replace the brake fluid every 3 years".
I believe it had something to do with water in the fluid affecting the ABS, but I am not sure.
Yes, water in the brake fluid can damage that expensive ABS motor. Water is heavier than brake fluid, so it usually settles in the caliper bores and corrodes them.

Even before that, water in the brake system can greatly reduce emergency braking because water boils at 212 degrees compared with 400 plus degrees for brake fluid. The resulting water vapour is highly compressible and so less force gets to the caliper pistons to stop the car.

Replacing the brake fluid every 3 years is worth the small cost.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
jwowen77 said:
Thanks txn. Yeah, that line in the manual is what made me think. I've never seen a brake fluid change recommended in an owners manual before.

dvpatel, sorry, I'll try to do better next time. My concern was with mixing brands, not the effectivness of multiple refills or which brand is better. I did finally find your "no brainer" answer posted in Sept 2008.

Thanks,
Jason
Welcome. Some of us oldtimers enjoy poking newbs with a sharp stick. :D
The ATF debate is tired and worn out to me. I have owned too many Honda/Acura rides over the years. I have used Z1, Mobil1 ATF and now drained and filled the CRV with Honda DW1 ATF.

Are you a capable person to work on your own vehicles? Buy some DW1. Drain your ATF, pour three bottles in and drive. Drain and fill at next oil change. The DW1 is compatible with Z1, it is a synthetic version of Z1.

I know it is crappy to change out ATF, but I do it every 2nd oil change cause it is parts only cost to me, I do my own wrenching.

For brake fluid, I do it every two years. No need for Honda fluid. I buy a large amount of quality whatever and bleed my rides every 18-24 months. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and bad fluid causes bad things. I never have brake failures so an ounce of prevention is worth a lot to me.

:cheers:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too am pondering the cost benefit to switching to a different band of tranny fluid. Problem is, I did that with my Hyundai, and ended up looking for a replacement transmission at my local scrap yard.
When you change out your brake fluid, use DOT-5. It is a Silicone based brake fluid. This type of fluid is non-hydroscopic, meaning it does not absorb any water. You wont have to change your brake fluid after using DOT-5.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too am pondering the cost benefit to switching to a different band of tranny fluid. Problem is, I did that with my Hyundai, and ended up looking for a replacement transmission at my local scrap yard.
When you change out your brake fluid, use DOT-5. It is a Silicone based brake fluid. This type of fluid is non-hydroscopic, meaning it does not absorb any water. You wont have to change your brake fluid after using DOT-5.
After doing some more reading, you CANNOT use DOT 5 fluid with ABS. Therefore, we cannot use it as a replacement for our old fluid. I know, that sucks.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
After doing some more reading, you CANNOT use DOT 5 fluid with ABS. Therefore, we cannot use it as a replacement for our old fluid. I know, that sucks.
Glad you came back from giving that BAD info on Brake Fluid type.
Also, the thread you posted in was over 8 yrs old. But, welcome to the group!! :cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts