Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could I get some education concerning synthetic 0W-30 weight oil? Is it 'better' than Honda's recommended 5W-30 weight oil? I understand that gas mileage should improve, and my van needs it! Any and all advice would be appreciated.

James

·
Registered
128 Posts
No, stick to 5W-20 or 5W-30 depending on the model year of your Odyssey. You live in Ft. Worth with relatively warm winters, for crying out loud! The 0W-30 stuff is for super cold temps such as Alaska or N. Dakota.

·
Registered
192 Posts
0W oils are for extremely cold climates... Ft. Worth doesn't even come close to qualifying.
Stick with the recommended oil weight. I wouldn't look at oil for saving/adding mpg, I do not believe the "savings" in mpg is even noticable (on an individual basis).

·
Registered
170 Posts
so where do i go (in person) to buy 5w-20 syn oil?
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sfearing:
No, stick to 5W-20 or 5W-30 depending on the model year of your Odyssey. You live in Ft. Worth with relatively warm winters, for crying out loud! The 0W-30 stuff is for super cold temps such as Alaska or N. Dakota.</font>

------------------
Ron - Ody EX L Navi 2002, silver with fog, subwoofer

·
Registered
128 Posts
>so where do i go (in person) to buy 5w-20 syn oil?

The dealership should sell it ($$$) but I believe either Quaker State or Pennzoil makes a 5W-20. Other manufacturers are coming out with it or are about to come out with it but I haven't been following it too closely - my 2000 Odyssey requires 5W-30.

·
Registered
859 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sfearing:
>so where do i go (in person) to buy 5w-20 syn oil?

The dealership should sell it ($$$) but I believe either Quaker State or Pennzoil makes a 5W-20. Other manufacturers are coming out with it or are about to come out with it but I haven't been following it too closely - my 2000 Odyssey requires 5W-30.
</font>
Yup. Just found Texaco Havoline 5W-20 at the parts store too.

-Mark

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't mean to revive the 5W20 vs 5W30 thread, but in case some of you haven't read about it....

I don't know what year Odyssey you have, but somewhere on this forum is "evidence" that we should be using 5W30 oil in our Odyssey's (except the 2002, which DO use 5W20).

I used 5W20, per my EARLY 2001's manual, but learned that later 2002's came with an updated manual that read 5W30.

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX - Silver
2001 Civic EX Sedan - Silver
1990 Mustang LX Coupe - Titanium
http://fiveoh.homestead.com/main.html

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SoFlaOdyssey:
I don't mean to revive the 5W20 vs 5W30 thread, but in case some of you haven't read about it....

I don't know what year Odyssey you have, but somewhere on this forum is "evidence" that we should be using 5W30 oil in our Odyssey's (except the 2002, which DO use 5W20).

I used 5W20, per my EARLY 2001's manual, but learned that later 2002's came with an updated manual that read 5W30.

</font>
Keep in mind that the new 5W-20 formulations may well be as good or better than old 5W-30 formulations. To meet the new API/ILSAC requirements, they have to use improved or synthetic base stocks and/or additive packages.

Even so, I am pretty sure the reason for 5W-20 was not for longevity, but rather to boost fleet fuel economy averages for CAFE requirements.

Thanks to someone who posted in an older thread here, I did ask for and request a letter from a Honda customer service representative that 5W-30 was the preferred oil for the Odyssey. Since my first change at 3750 with Penzoil 5W-20, I've been using 5W-30 (which is also permitted in my manual though 5W-20 is recommended). I'm doing 7500 mile changes on the normal service schedule, and using Mobil1 synthetic with Honda filters.

I do use Mobil1 0W-30 in my Honda snow blower, though! Even synthetic 5W-30 has very good low temperature performance compared to conventional oils. Unless you are well below 0F for weeks at a time, I doubt you'd gain much with 0W-30.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts