Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any harm in switching to synthetic oil at 6500 miles on a 2002 Ody (this being the van's first oil change)? I've heard that the recommendation for doing so is to wait until after 10k, but my husband went ahead and had it done anyway(the 7500-mile service was done at the same time).

------------------
(o: Terry :eek:)
'02 GG EX-L RES
Splash guards, mod floor mats & cargo tray, Poron backup sensors, VCR/TV tuner

·
Registered
180 Posts
Should be fine. You'll see some folks below discussing this topic at great length, but I think the short version is: No problem!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Out of curiosity, which synthetic? Was it a 5W-20?

I'm not aware of any company offering an API-certified 5W-20 full synthetic. Both Shell and Motorcraft offer an API certified 5W-20 synthetic blend. Amsoil has a synthetic 5W-20, but it is not API certified.

------------------

·
Registered
69 Posts
If it's a choice between dino/blended 5w-20 and full synthetic 5w-30, I'd go with the latter.

Kudos on getting the 7500 mile service done with the 6500 oil change - - one less trip to the dealer.

Of course, if you're set on picking a fight with the head of the house, we can post whatever will help ;-)

------------------
Ben
2001 LX, GG, mud guards, cargo tray, keyless remote, CD player, Blaupunkt speakers

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Okay, there have now been too many posts referring to 5w-20. I'm sure I saw an 'official' letter from Honda saying the proper oil is 5w-30.

Has this changed recently?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
For the 2002 models, the spec is for 5w-20 oil. Honda states that very clearly and unambiguously in all their documentation and under the hood.

The "official" letter you saw was in regard to ambiguity concerning the oil specified for 1999-2001 models.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My dealer says they used Castrol Syntec 10w-30 on my Ody. I know nothing of synthetic oils (or any lube oil for that matter), so can anyone tell me if that's OK to use on the Ody 2002?

------------------
'02 GG EX-L RES
Splash guards, gold pinstripes, mod floor mats & cargo tray, Poron backup sensors, VCR/TV tuner, Zaino

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Well, it's not to Honda specs. You should at least ask your service manager why he puts it into the car if it's not to Honda's specs. You might also ask Honda why they certify him as an authorized service center if he doesn't even follow the specs for oil.

I have a 92 Honda that specifies 5w30. That's been Honda practice for years. Why this guy doesn't use it, who knows. But I'll bet he doesn't have a good answer for you, other than "the Castrol guy gives me great kickbacks for buying the 10w30 stuff".

What does your service guy say when you specify a 5w30 oil? Do they refuse?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I doubt our Honda dealership service or parts folks would even admit it if they get any kickback from Castrol. Anyway, the parts guy told me that I'm worrying about stuff (10w30 vs. 5w30 vs. 5w20) that doesn't really make a difference, and that the Castrol 10w30 that they use is fine for the 2002 Ody. Is he right? And if not, could I just have the syntec oil be replaced by the regular 5w20 and not bother with synthetic until after 10k miles, without any harm done at this point?

------------------
'02 GG EX-L RES
Splash guards, gold pinstripes, mod floor mats & cargo tray, Poron backup sensors, VCR/TV tuner, Zaino

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Anyway, the parts guy told me that I'm worrying about stuff (10w30 vs. 5w30 vs. 5w20) that doesn't really make a difference, and that the Castrol 10w30 that they use is fine for the 2002 Ody. Is he right?</font>
Well, let's see:

* On the one hand, you have your legions of highly paid Honda engineers who design and build the thing, at least some of whom probably have forgotten more about oil than most people in the world will ever know.

* On the other hand, you have your parts guy (where did he go to school again? how long has he been on this job? what was his last job?) claiming that those Honda engineers don't know beans.

I dunno. What do you think?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Some points and observations:

I don't know where you're from forgaming, but 10W-30 in February would be reserved for very warm climates. So, unless you live in the southwest you should stick with the recommended 5W oils (dino or synthetic).

Fully synthetic in 5W-20 or 5W-30 is a great choice. 5W-30 will work fine and will NOT cause any damage (or void a warranty if changed regularly and carrying the correct certification
).

To answer one of your questions... If you change the oil now and wait until 10K for full synthetic, there will not be any "damage" done to your vehicle. I also think you can chose better synthetic brands than Castrol.

Parts/Service techs making unqualified comments about products/service... one more reason why I do as much DIY stuff as possible.

·
Registered
596 Posts
It's kinda spooky when the dealer guys go against the manufacturer's recommendations, as was said above. It's sorta like getting your food buying advice from the clerk at the "health food store", Hee! Hee!

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
128 Posts
Don't forget, that automakers, including Honda, do not ONLY have the end users' interest at heart when they specify or design things. Sometimes their hand get forced by the "expert Government auto engineers" in Congress. Even Honda succumbed to installing motorized seatbelts in the 90 and/or 91 Accord (remember those?). Not a choice any Honda engineer would of made on their own initiative

The government has draconian disincentives for automakers when they miss their fleet fuel averages. Every tenth of a mpg is pursued, and 5-20 is a direct result of that. It has been stated in a number of places (Ford doing so openly) that the main objective of 5-20 is better fuel mileage, not better motor protection. Motor protection is still OK, by all means, but not at all necessarily best.

Royal Purple sells full synthetic 5-20. I have posted about this before. The engineers at Royal Purple explained to me what is important is film strength not viscocity in and by itself. Sewing machine oil will protect better than 20w50 if the film strength is higher.

Now for RP I have been told, that the film strength of 5-20 is equal to that of RP 5-30, so it is the actual preferred lubricant because of the lower pumping losses. For most motor oils, especially of the dino variety, the 5-20 will have a lower film strength than the 5-30, because for dino oil, viscosity is one thing that enhances film strength at the expense of pumping losses (and fuel economy).

So without specific data to the contrary, I'd venture to argue that 5-30 is better for the engine, even the 2002, than 5-20. Especially in summer, Texas, Arizona, fill in any condition that dramatically raises underhood temperatures.

Winter in Minnesota? 5-20 will be easier on your engine than 5-30. There probably is no one-size-fits-all answer to the 5-20 or 5-30 question.

There is a good chance that synthetic 5-30 pours better in cool/cold weather than dino 5-20. Quick circulation on cold starts (where the majority of engine wear occurs) and stickyness of the molecular film to metal parts after circulation stops will do more to protect your engine than the viscosity of whatever circulates once the engine is running. This is my motivation for using RP. RP has molecular lubricity enhancers which is why I will do one dino oil change at 3500 before switching over to it for the life of the car at 7000.

As a final point of comfort for whatever you feel comfortable using: Have your oil analyzed by an outfit like Blackstone labs. Especially if you do this throuh the life of your engine you will see if disproportionate wear starts to occur from the increase of trace elements measured in your drained oil. This will also tell you if you are extending the change interval to long even if you are within Honda's service intervals.

John

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's just a matter of time until the Synthetic manufacturers start making a 5W20. With all of the Fords and Hondas there will be a demand. Personally, I hope it's Mobil 1.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts